Teaching in Brisbane Area

philkef

Hi

Moving with the family in July to Brookwater -Greater Springfield/Springfield Lakes where we have built a house. Can not wait and all very excited about the move to QLD.

Bit nervous about finding work. I am a 38 year old history teacher with lots of experience in the UK - both independent and state schools - day and boarding. Massive sports experience so I feel that this will be an asset. May have to play golf all day and forget about the mortgage til we get repossessed!

I am registered with an agency in Brisbane who seem to promise the earth and then go quiet. Presently just scanning the ads in the Courier Mail and other web sites to get a feel for things.

Just interested to know if anyone has experience of Poms looking for teaching posts/getting teaching jobs in the GldCoast/Brissy/Sunshine Coast. I am in the process of getting QCT from here in Germany where I work for the Ministry of Defence as a teacher in a school for army kids.

As I said, all massively excited but wife (also a teacher - primary) and I just a tad nervous! And ... do we bring our car (a 2005 Passat worth UK5k here but about AU$20k there!)? Looked at all the doom merchants who say it costs a bomb but at 1.66 to the pound, Aussie cars are looking rather pricey and importing one looks more viable!

Thanks for all responses

Phil:biggrin::arghh::twitcy: - hence all the mixed emotions!

Hi

Moving with the family in July to Brookwater -Greater Springfield/Springfield Lakes where we have built a house. Can not wait and all very excited about the move to QLD.

Bit nervous about finding work. I am a 38 year old history teacher with lots of experience in the UK - both independent and state schools - day and boarding. Massive sports experience so I feel that this will be an asset. May have to play golf all day and forget about the mortgage til we get repossessed!

I am registered with an agency in Brisbane who seem to promise the earth and then go quiet. Presently just scanning the ads in the Courier Mail and other web sites to get a feel for things.

Just interested to know if anyone has experience of Poms looking for teaching posts/getting teaching jobs in the GldCoast/Brissy/Sunshine Coast. I am in the process of getting QCT from here in Germany where I work for the Ministry of Defence as a teacher in a school for army kids.

As I said, all massively excited but wife (also a teacher - primary) and I just a tad nervous! And ... do we bring our car (a 2005 Passat worth UK5k here but about AU$20k there!)? Looked at all the doom merchants who say it costs a bomb but at 1.66 to the pound, Aussie cars are looking rather pricey and importing one looks more viable!

Thanks for all responses

Phil:biggrin::arghh::twitcy: - hence all the mixed emotions!

Hi Phil

Welcome to PIO. You have chosen a good place to live! You will have great access to Ipswich, the city and the gold coast. Finding a job to start with can be hard, so I would concentrate on looking for casual teaching work to start with. Once you build up contacts and more Aussie experience and also experience of how the Aussie hiring system works, it will be much easier for you.

Don't know about cars.....sorry!

Love

Rudi

x

Archived