Info on Lota?

jomark2oz

I've fallen in love with the look of Lota lol upon recommendation on here:biggrin:. It looks like it ticks a lot of boxes for us. Its on a mainline for rail, near the ocean, looks like it has a nice community feel. Can anyone give some inside info on the suburb? Whats the school like? Looked good from the website. But of course its so difficult to judge from a website what a suburb is like. Anyone know what its really like to live there?

We'll be in Brisbane from the 12th april anyway for a reccie so not too long till we can have a good look around. Any areas to check nearby to Lota/Manly e.g shopping centres etc, essential sights?

We're actually going to be staying in redcliffe for the reccie which we also really like the look of but Lota looks like in terms of where i'm likely to find work (i'm a nurse and it looks like the mater is recruiting a lot at the mo) may be better for us..........

Any help much appreciated!

Jo(28), Mark(37), William(2)

I've fallen in love with the look of Lota lol upon recommendation on here:biggrin:. It looks like it ticks a lot of boxes for us. Its on a mainline for rail, near the ocean, looks like it has a nice community feel. Can anyone give some inside info on the suburb? Whats the school like? Looked good from the website. But of course its so difficult to judge from a website what a suburb is like. Anyone know what its really like to live there?

We'll be in Brisbane from the 12th april anyway for a reccie so not too long till we can have a good look around. Any areas to check nearby to Lota/Manly e.g shopping centres etc, essential sights?

We're actually going to be staying in redcliffe for the reccie which we also really like the look of but Lota looks like in terms of where i'm likely to find work (i'm a nurse and it looks like the mater is recruiting a lot at the mo) may be better for us..........

Any help much appreciated!

Lota is lovely. It's probably the smallest of the Bayside suburbs, and for some reason it seems to be quite a lot more expensive as well. Don't dismiss Manly and Wynnum which are next door to Lota.

Love

Rudi

x

We are in Wynnum West and its lovely, only a couple of mins from Manly. I work at the Mater and it takes me about 25 mins to drive in. Longer to get home on an afternoon but not too bad. Carindale shopping centre is good, so too Cannon Hill, There are some lovely shops in Wynnum and Manly and also Bulimba. Southbank is a must to see, with the manmade beach, childrens play area and some fab restaurants. Minnippi parklands near Belmont (on Meadowlands road) is great. its only about 5 min drive from where we live. When do you plan to make the move permenantly?.

Are you staying with friends for your reccie, and is this your first visit. We'd be more than happy to meet up for a coffee and show you Wynnum and Manly if you are interested

love

Lynne and Chris

Thanks for the info. We are hoping to make the big move approx a yr after our reccie, maybe sooner. We already have our 175 visas which we will be validating on this trip. No we don't know anyone! We think we're either crazy or very brave lol! It would be fantastic to have someone to show us round if you have the time? We are in Brisbane from the 12th till the 22nd april.

We are also checking out perth before we fly to brisbane, cannot wait to get to oz, 2 wks today till we leave!!!

Jo(28), Mark(36), William(2)

Guest Bettyboop

hi jomark2oz,

Me and my family live in Wynnum we have only been here since the end of October but we love it! my children are 8, 10 and 14 years old and we do find this area has so much to offer them. Living in Wynnum we are a stones throw away from Manly and Lota and we do spend a fair amount of time in all these areas, Wynnum has a nice pier and small beach area, theres a wading pool and a couple of park areas for the children. Theres a lovely esplanade that runs from Wynnum through Manly and onto Lota which is great for lovely walks or taking the children out on bikes and scooters, there are plenty of bbq areas too!!!!! Manly has a lovely marina and they have regular markets on there and different evening events in the park for families, some nice coffee shops and restaurants in Manly and Wynnum too. My husband catches the train every day from Wynnum North to South Brisbane and he is at work in half an hour its so easy to get to by car too we spend quite a few friday evenings going into South Bank with the children and letting them play there and having a bbq. With regards to the schools I think I am right in saying you can apply for any of the nearby schools whether that is in Lota or Manly for example, I hadnt realised that when I arrived and I put my children into the nearest schools thinking I had to stick within some sort of catchment area and I have since found out it doesnt work like that!!

All of the bayside suburbs are really lovely, I spend quite a bit of time going to Cleveland and Wellington Point too and they are lovely its so hard to choose!! We would have been happy living in any of these areas and for us it was just wherever the first good rental came up within walking distance to the station we would take it - so we ended up in Wynnum!!

If you would like anymore information please feel free to ask me, like I say I have only been here for a few months but I am home all day while kids are at school so have had plenty of chance to explore the area!!

Good luck and keep me posted!! if you do end up here we will have to meet for a coffee :-)

Angie x

Ooh you're selling it to me even more lol! I want to be there now! Thanks for the info. I also want to be within walking distance of a train station and these suburbs just sound gorgeous! Glad to hear you're all settling in so well. How have the children found the change?

Guest Bettyboop

Hi Lynnes I would love to meet for a coffee sometime, pm me when you have some free time and we will sort something out. I must admit I was beginning to wonder if I was the only 'POM' in Wynnum!!!! hope to hear from you soon :-)

Angie xx

Guest Bettyboop

Jo,

My children have settled in really well, my 10 year old struggled the most with homesickness in the beginning but since end of January something seems to have changed in him and he is fine now - as for my other two well you would think they have always lived here!! Actually the children put me to shame in many ways!!! they have just adapted to life here and dealt with going to a new school and making new friends very well whereas me on the other hand have felt very out of my comfort zone!! Luckily for me though people are so friendly and I have found PIO to be a lifesaver and have made some really lovely friends on here - although they all live further round the bay so gives me another reason to visit other bayside coffee shops :-)

Stay in touch!

love

Angie x

Guest chihiro

Our family land in Brisbane on the 12th of april as well, but no reccie for us, we make the big jump right away !

I was looking at the houses rental offer in Lota area, since you all seem to love it. I was wondering are the beaches nice over there ? Can we go for a swim with the kids ?

thx

Our family land in Brisbane on the 12th of april as well, but no reccie for us, we make the big jump right away !

I was looking at the houses rental offer in Lota area, since you all seem to love it. I was wondering are the beaches nice over there ? Can we go for a swim with the kids ?

thx

There's a wading pool at Wynnum that the kids can play in, but no real beaches around. Brisbane doesn't really have proper beaches.

Having said that, you can go on a kind of beach at Wellington Point or at Raby Bay.

Love

Rudi

x

Archived