Well here was me thinking schooling was free!

Que Sera Sera

No I am not talking about Australia I am talking about the UK.

I went to DD academic review today at school, she is taking her GCSE's in June so its the last catch up before then. All was going well until the teacher gave me a form with extra tuition classes for GCSE students during the Easter Holidays, the school will open for them and they will get space to revise and help with revision tools.

Well I thought that is great, until I am told, you will have to pay £10 per day...........what?????

This and the fact that despite being told about our plans to emigrate a number of times she new nothing about it and put on my daughters notes "Flighing" to Australia.

Now we all make mistakes but the woman knew she had spelt it wrong but couldnt work out how to spell it :wacko: How much do you reckon she gets paid a year??

About £30k I would think.

That's crazy. Personally, I think you'd get more out of letting your daughter have friends over to revise with! That's what I did. Saves you a lot of money and so on... can be beneficial having one-to-one friend support etc...?

Consider that as your alternative!

Fleabo, now you are making me feel bad my Husband is Dyslexic so I should know better ...so much for empathy and compassion and my diversity training!:biglaugh:

Although shes a teacher so in my book shes fair game! :biglaugh:

No my daughter is not behind, there was a hard sell by the school admin team as we walked into the school reception, they had no idea who my daughter was and who I was so it was just a leaflet drop and they said to be sure to book in early as places are going fast!!!!:wideeyed:

Fleabo, now you are making me feel bad my Husband is Dyslexic so I should know better ...so much for empathy and compassion and my diversity training!:biglaugh:

Although shes a teacher so in my book shes fair game! :biglaugh:

Sorry - didn't mean to make you feel bad.

I have met a lot of innovative and intelligent people who are dyslexic and see solutions to problems that others can't. I am glad that your daughter is not behind, and it is tough to get the hard sell. It will happen in Australia, but my impression is that the sale is easier there than it is here.:biggrin:

Her GCSE's are important - we all have to carry our own successes and failures with us.

Guest Guest31881
Yes she is coming and no I dont believe that her GCSE's mean anything. But due to circumstances beyond my control we could not get the visa unless we agreed to let her do her GCSE's:arghh:

Hi,

Her GCSE's will help her, although not always recognised here, it is far better to say she left school with (x) amount of qualifications than say she left UK school with nothing. It shows she can study and willing to work for qualifications, and who knows what may happen in the future if for any reason she decided on returning to the UK she will have qualifications that are recognised there.

I hope she does well with her GCSE's at the very least it will give her a sense of achievement when she gets the results. :biggrin:.

Just to clarify: I didn't mean to imply that education was unimportant. But I'm assuming that she will go on to do years 11 and 12 in Australia, so the outcome of extra (expensive) cramming won't have much (or any?) influence in the long term.

I remember when my daughter was at junior school & she fetched a piece of work home that the teacher had written but that she had to copy out in her book. It was about what an encyclopedia was but right the way through it, it was spelt encylopedia!!! I'm not the best at spelling myself but that was not good coming from a teacher! X

Guest Guest31881
IMHO they have too many tests in this country, and it's not to benifit the children but the school, it seems they are teaching children to pass a test :wacko:

Unfortunately Geoff you are correct, A couple of years ago I was a governor at a school and grants and money from counsels depends very much on your school obtaining good results. Our school needed some building work and it was made very clear to the school that the money would be available if the school performed well and had good "SATS" and "GCSE" results. Nothing to do with the kids or school even doing well, more to do with the local Counsel looking good in the national stats.

Archived