Police checks/Citizenship by descent help

swifty99

Hi All,

I have just had a phone call from the police regarding my police certificate, they called me as i do not currently have a valid british passport, no travel no reason to have one!

The man said that he thought that this may get my citizenship returned as they need a valid passport number on the police certificate, however on the citizenship information it doesn't say anything about this in fact for proof of identity it say passport if any.

My plan was once i had got citizenship i was going to apply for an Australian passport anyway, so does anyone know if my lack of a valid british passport is going to throw up any problems?

Many thanks

Laura

Hi All,

I have just had a phone call from the police regarding my police certificate, they called me as i do not currently have a valid british passport, no travel no reason to have one!

The man said that he thought that this may get my citizenship returned as they need a valid passport number on the police certificate, however on the citizenship information it doesn't say anything about this in fact for proof of identity it say passport if any.

My plan was once i had got citizenship i was going to apply for an Australian passport anyway, so does anyone know if my lack of a valid british passport is going to throw up any problems?

Many thanks

Laura

I am not an expert in this area, but I would think that you would definitely need a passport firstly to get your Australia visa label attached prior to going to Australia. Secondly, do you not need to be living in Australia for at least 4 years prior to applying for citizenship and an Australian passport?? Do you live in Australia already?? Catherine:nah:

Catherine, i am applying for citizenship by descent as i was born to an Australian father so qualify for citizenship by descent.

Laura:policeman:

So I definitely wouldn't know the requirements then!!!!! I started the process from the beginning and have received my PR Visa so I was obviously required to have a passport. Could you not E-Mail the DIAC? Again I'm sure you have thought of all your options!!!! It's a minefield!!!!! Catherine :arghh:

Once you have applied for your citizenship and it is approved - only then are you an Australian citizen and only from the date of the approval - unlike some countries where the law deems you to be a citizen of their Country from the day you are born. When you can prove you are Australian citizen, you are then entitled to apply and be issued with an Australian passport.

Regards

Tony

Let me explain it a bit more.

My father was an Australian citizen at the time of my birth in fact he never became a British citizen even though he was over here more than Australia, so i have filled in my application to become a citizen by descent, i have sent off for my police clearance certificate to go with my citizenship application, and finally after 3 weeks the police call me to ask if i have a valid passport as the passport number i gave him was out of date by 2 years, i explained to him that no i didn't as due to not travelling lately i didn't renew it and as i was now applying to become an Australian citizen by descent after i had gained citizenship i intended on applying for an Australian passport, he thought that the DIAC may not approve the application without a valid passport number on the police clearance certificate this is what i am unsure of will the DIAC request that i redo my certificate with a valid British passport number on it is it really relevant to my citizenship application????

Thanks

Laura

Once you have applied for your citizenship and it is approved - only then are you an Australian citizen and only from the date of the approval - unlike some countries where the law deems you to be a citizen of their Country from the day you are born. When you can prove you are Australian citizen, you are then entitled to apply and be issued with an Australian passport.

Regards

Tony

Ah, mea culpa. Not like the UK process then.

From memory we had our son registered as Australian when he was born in UK but that was a long time ago.

You phone back ACPO and tell them to mind their own business and DIAC do not need a passport number on your cerificate, just the certificate with your picture on, and just issue the certificate you have paid for because they are holding up the process.

I think Quoll was talking about the process of getting a British passport. If you qualify you apply, no need to apply for citizenship first like Australia.

Guest 1010ozzy

Hi I applied for Australian citizenship by decent, from the Uk as you are doing, but I did have a valid Uk passport.

If I was in your shoes I would phone Australia house or DIAC and ask them the question then you will get the info from the horses mouth so to speak, then you can tell the police yes or no to their question.

Best of luck

Dawn

Archived