Moving back after 13 years

Guest Gazzr

Guest Gazzr

Hi Everyone,

My first post! I came to Aus in 1997 as a backpacker and never wanted to go back to UK again. I felt trapped, unhappy etc. Now I can't wait to go back "home". As soon as I arrived I started thinking about staying long term.

What changed? Looking back I probably came here for adventeure and to be my own person. I have achieved that and after getting married to an Aussie, becoming an Australian Citizen and having a young son I'm ready for the next chapter to start.

Australia is still a great place to live if you love the heat and the life-style but as others have said it lacks alot of things that both me and my wife miss. Culture, decent motorbike roads, too far from Europe, can't drive over 80mph without getting locked up etc. And the heat is annoying, too hot to even ride a bike or go outside during the main part of the day!

We are luckier than alot of people who I have been reading about in that we did not come over here in the last few years (during which time the exchange rate has tumbled) so its only after reading on here that I have noticed things are expensive. I came over with a back-pack and that's it. I'm not leaving with a "truck load of cash" but have about 20k pounds that should help us get settled in the UK.

Also having to worry about the kids is something to consider but as our Son is only 16months the whole getting them back in the correct school etc is not an issue. Maybe one day it will be ehy?

Re-locating is still a big deal though and obviously our main worry is me finding a job but my family is still there so we hope not to be completely homeless if things do not work out. Anyone need a Management Accountant in Bristol area?

Anyway we move back in May (just in time for the World Cup!) and hopefully a life of country pubs, Walkers Crisps, kicking the leaves and drives to the countryside. Actually we went out last weekend and it rained. We ended up sitting in the car with the Windscreen wipers going eating Fish and Chips. Just like we did when Mum and Dad took us to Clacton-on-Sea! Home sweet home ehy.

If things don't work out in UK our Plan B is move to France, Plan C? Melbourne.

To all those people moving back to England; as others have said at least you have had the balls to give it a go and best wishes on settling back home

After re-reading this post I'm not so sure if it makes sense or even has a point to it but there you go.

All that's left to say is "COME ON ENGLAND!"

Guest sophi
Hi Everyone,

My first post! I came to Aus in 1997 as a backpacker and never wanted to go back to UK again. I felt trapped, unhappy etc. Now I can't wait to go back "home". As soon as I arrived I started thinking about staying long term.

What changed? Looking back I probably came here for adventeure and to be my own person. I have achieved that and after getting married to an Aussie, becoming an Australian Citizen and having a young son I'm ready for the next chapter to start.

Australia is still a great place to live if you love the heat and the life-style but as others have said it lacks alot of things that both me and my wife miss. Culture, decent motorbike roads, too far from Europe, can't drive over 80mph without getting locked up etc. And the heat is annoying, too hot to even ride a bike or go outside during the main part of the day!

We are luckier than alot of people who I have been reading about in that we did not come over here in the last few years (during which time the exchange rate has tumbled) so its only after reading on here that I have noticed things are expensive. I came over with a back-pack and that's it. I'm not leaving with a "truck load of cash" but have about 20k pounds that should help us get settled in the UK.

Also having to worry about the kids is something to consider but as our Son is only 16months the whole getting them back in the correct school etc is not an issue. Maybe one day it will be ehy?

Re-locating is still a big deal though and obviously our main worry is me finding a job but my family is still there so we hope not to be completely homeless if things do not work out. Anyone need a Management Accountant in Bristol area?

Anyway we move back in May (just in time for the World Cup!) and hopefully a life of country pubs, Walkers Crisps, kicking the leaves and drives to the countryside. Actually we went out last weekend and it rained. We ended up sitting in the car with the Windscreen wipers going eating Fish and Chips. Just like we did when Mum and Dad took us to Clacton-on-Sea! Home sweet home ehy.

If things don't work out in UK our Plan B is move to France, Plan C? Melbourne.

To all those people moving back to England; as others have said at least you have had the balls to give it a go and best wishes on settling back home

After re-reading this post I'm not so sure if it makes sense or even has a point to it but there you go.

All that's left to say is "COME ON ENGLAND!"

Good luck with the move, you's must be so exited!!! just in time for the great british summer too.

Hope all works out for you's and a safe journey

Sophi:wubclub:

Good luck with moving back, I too was here as a backpacker in 1997, likewise didn't want to leave. I have said before that if I had the opportunity to stay back then in my younger years then things would be very different to how they are now. Been here just 8 months and dream of being able to turn back the clock and to have just stayed put.

Guest Blackpool-Aus

I'm now married and tied in to property here, but if I could wave a magic wand and never meet my hubby, and stay in the UK, I would. Chris.

Isnt it interesting that there are many of us who have come, had a good time to begin with but now feel that there is nothing left on offer? I had a good time for the first 10 years or so, travelled widely, saw lots, experienced lots and it was an adventure. Once you have done it all though (and I admit to being a very slow learner) what the hell else is there? Time to go home now!!!

I just had the most amazing month in UK - there was just so much variety in virtually everything. You can drive for an hour and see a dozen different sights compared with driving for an hour here and seeing a dozen different gum trees and a couple of road kill roos. I especially enjoyed the driving (yup, far more road courtesy, variety, laidbackness = fewer tailgaters etc) and the casual contacts with a whole range of people who were happy to give you the time of day and a bit of a chat and a laugh.

Good luck to everyone who is escaping, I hope your freedom is all that you want it to be!

Guest guest30038
Good luck. I've only been here 16 months and I am very homesick. Chris.

Hi Chris. If you're down this way and fancy a coffee, there are a couple of Blackpool familes who will gladly remind you of why they think Blackpool is crap. There's been times when I've really missed the place but then I get to thinking of why we left and then the good things that we left, don't seem as important.

:hug: Cheer up chook, you sound in a bad way. PM me if you want someone to chat to.

kev

I to was a backpacker in Aus (1989/1990) and love my time there. It's quite evident now that the backpackers life is a million milesaway from the day-to-day humdrum of "real life".

Similar to Kev, I'm open to PMs if anyone wants reminding of why they think Australia is crap:cute:

I just had the most amazing month in UK - there was just so much variety in virtually everything. You can drive for an hour and see a dozen different sights compared with driving for an hour here and seeing a dozen different gum trees and a couple of road kill roos.

That's so true. I was driving through an area here that had a patch of gum trees and I nearly freaked out thinking it was all a dream and i was actually still in Australia:confused:.

It reminded me how unattractive these scraggy bare trees are compared to the native trees of Europe.:radar:

Guest Bill_er_Bong

Nice post. Good perspectives. Don't be thinking its cheap over here though! I hope you're 20k lasts you well as it probably won't last you long!

Can I ask where in Aus you lived? I see you have a plan C - Melbourne. So you were probably living somewhere a bit hotter than that right?

Anyway, enjoy your time back in Blighty. Getting up late on a Saturday, watching Footy Focus while pawing through the sports pages of The Sun, nipping down the local for a pint of decent real ale and a game of darts etc etc

Good luck.

Guest Blackpool-Aus
Hi Chris. If you're down this way and fancy a coffee, there are a couple of Blackpool familes who will gladly remind you of why they think Blackpool is crap. There's been times when I've really missed the place but then I get to thinking of why we left and then the good things that we left, don't seem as important.

:hug: Cheer up chook, you sound in a bad way. PM me if you want someone to chat to.

kev

Hiya Kev, and yes I agree with you; I know why I left, and I suppose it's a bit like grieving - you always remember the good times. But it's so hard - I'm a very young 50 yr old, and at my time of life, I should be happy and enjoying life. I'm normally very positive, but I can't seem to get the guilt out of me, leaving my parents and my son [who is at uni in the UK - due to live here in October]. I may take you up on your offer one day and I've saved your site with the pics on, and your email address. Thankyou Kev, honestly. I appreciate it. Chris.

Guest guest30038
Hiya Kev, and yes I agree with you; I know why I left, and I suppose it's a bit like grieving - you always remember the good times. But it's so hard - I'm a very young 50 yr old,

I'm a 61 yr old but I bet I'm younger than you :wink: Whereabouts in Blackpool? We may have things in common.

kev

Guest Blackpool-Aus
I'm a 61 yr old but I bet I'm younger than you :wink: Whereabouts in Blackpool? We may have things in common.

kev

Poulton Le Fylde Kev. You never know.

Guest guest30038
Poulton Le Fylde Kev. You never know.

Yep, if you're the outdoor type than you will know my good friends Geoff and Elaine at Out'n About, the camping shop there. Poulton isn't blackpool though chook, so i can see why you're missing things that I don't. I love poulton and bloody hell! Am I not missing those Pork Pies from the Pork shop :cry:..........used to queue for hours on christmas eve to stock up.............I'm a bispham lad btw.

kev

Guest akipperandamuffin

blackpool -aus ... u sound really down in the dumps...where are you located. Im in rainbow beach so you cant be tooo far from me...im a Yorkshire lass, other end of the M65 to blackpool, Skipton. Chin up....

Guest guest30038
.im a Yorkshire lass, other end of the M65 to blackpool, Skipton. ]/QUOTE]

Never mind chook....what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger :wink: :biglaugh:

kev

Guest akipperandamuffin
.im a Yorkshire lass, other end of the M65 to blackpool, Skipton. ]/QUOTE]

Never mind chook....what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger :wink: :biglaugh:

kev

Ha ha, cheers Kev! as much as i love 'skippy' im glad in reside in QLD now!!!

Guest Blackpool-Aus
blackpool -aus ... u sound really down in the dumps...where are you located. Im in rainbow beach so you cant be tooo far from me...im a Yorkshire lass, other end of the M65 to blackpool, Skipton. Chin up....

Hi, I'm a Yorkshire lass too, but moved to Lancs in 76. when I was 16. I'm in Caloundra. Skipton is stunning. Chris.

:sad:Hi,

I'm from Sabden in the Ribble Valley,why oh why did I want to come here,my OH will not move back and neither will my eldest son so I'm trapped here,my job is still open until the end of the year and then I'll be at the point of no return.I think I need a job but as we're on a 457 visa finding it very difficult as it seems you need an aussie qualification to sneeze!! I had a good jod back home working for the Department of Work and Pensions, can't do that here as I'm not a citizen!!

Sorry for going on but It's 2 o'clock in the morning and I can't sleep, sometimes I need to have a rant to clear my mind lol

I wish I had said to my OH when he had the telephone interview lets not bother we have a good life here!! hindesight is such a good thing.

Kx

I'm from Sabden in the Ribble Valley,why oh why did I want to come here,my OH will not move back and neither will my eldest son so I'm trapped here,my job is still open until the end of the year and then I'll be at the point of no return.I think I need a job but as we're on a 457 visa finding it very difficult as it seems you need an aussie qualification to sneeze!! I had a good jod back home working for the Department of Work and Pensions, can't do that here as I'm not a citizen!!

Sorry for going on but It's 2 o'clock in the morning and I can't sleep, sometimes I need to have a rant to clear my mind lol

I wish I had said to my OH when he had the telephone interview lets not bother we have a good life here!! hindesight is such a good thing.

Kx

:hug::hug: When the OH wont move back then it is a b*gger of a situation to find yourself in. You are only here on a temporary visa and so there is no guarantee that you guys will find yourselves permanent residents down the track so you do need to make serious decisions before that point of no return!

Love the Ribble Valley - absolutely beautiful isnt it?!

Kx

There are alot of us on here that know exactly what you are feeling and going through, myself included. it is difficult, but am sure that I and the rest of us will find the right path in life. I just can't see it being here.

Guest Blackpool-Aus

Listen K, don't be down. I was also an EO in the civil service, with a good pension and life. I lived in a beaut' village and had a great social circle. I gave it all up [and I mean house, son (he's still at uni'), parents (who have no other family), friends etc, at the age of young 49] to marry an Aussie, who I didn't know that well. I've been here for a year now and I'm finding it hard, but..... I've found myself a job working in a British pub and I've joined a singing group. I'm going to join an out rigging team too [i've never done it, but hey.. I'll try]. I try to visit different places too - like going for walks to the hinterland and having coffee in little villages. I sometimes feel like life's not worth living, but do you know what - I go on Google Earth, and I 'virtually walk' down the streets, and I think... hey Australia isn't so bad. I think 'home' is where your life is; and you sound like you haven't one yet; and no one, esp' your hubby will get you one; so... you have to do it yourself. Girl power... you have to get up, find a job, join a club, get out walking, cycling etc, and think; this isn't forever, because you know K, nothing is! The UK is bad at the mo'..and I don't mean the weather. My Mum says it's just awful; job losses etc - even the Civil Service - there's no guarantee you wouldn't have lost your job. I've had a complete life change - no desk, just a bar and coffee area & I love it. I still cry - uncontrollably, but it's getting less frequent. If you really get that bad K, please go home to the UK, for a month. But I suggest you get a job and join as many clubs as you can. I totally understand you, but don't be down; you know things have a way of working themselves out. Also K, may I ask, do you have your health?.... if so, you're 90% there! Every single person I meet says it takes 2 to 5 yrs to settle - all ages; so if that's the case; you'll get there. Please think positive - the UK is fantastic I know, but..... like in death, we always remember the good, never the bad and the reasons we wanted a life change. Keep active, keep smiling and you will, as I will, get there, to a place you'll feel happy in. I promise. Chris.

Guest Blackpool-Aus
There are alot of us on here that know exactly what you are feeling and going through, myself included. it is difficult, but am sure that I and the rest of us will find the right path in life. I just can't see it being here.

Listen K, don't be down. I was also an EO in the civil service, with a good pension and life. I lived in a beaut' village and had a great social circle. I gave it all up [and I mean house, son (he's still at uni'), parents (who have no other family), friends etc, at the age of young 49] to marry an Aussie, who I didn't know that well. I've been here for a year now and I'm finding it hard, but..... I've found myself a job working in a British pub and I've joined a singing group. I'm going to join an out rigging team too [i've never done it, but hey.. I'll try]. I try to visit different places too - like going for walks to the hinterland and having coffee in little villages. I sometimes feel like life's not worth living, but do you know what - I go on Google Earth, and I 'virtually walk' down the streets, and I think... hey Australia isn't so bad. I think 'home' is where your life is; and you sound like you haven't one yet; and no one, esp' your hubby will get you one; so... you have to do it yourself. Girl power... you have to get up, find a job, join a club, get out walking, cycling etc, and think; this isn't forever, because you know K, nothing is! The UK is bad at the mo'..and I don't mean the weather. My Mum says it's just awful; job losses etc - even the Civil Service - there's no guarantee you wouldn't have lost your job. I've had a complete life change - no desk, just a bar and coffee area & I love it. I still cry - uncontrollably, but it's getting less frequent. If you really get that bad K, please go home to the UK, for a month. But I suggest you get a job and join as many clubs as you can. I totally understand you, but don't be down; you know things have a way of working themselves out. Also K, may I ask, do you have your health?.... if so, you're 90% there! Every single person I meet says it takes 2 to 5 yrs to settle - all ages; so if that's the case; you'll get there. Please think positive - the UK is fantastic I know, but..... like in death, we always remember the good, never the bad and the reasons we wanted a life change. Keep active, keep smiling and you will, as I will, get there, to a place you'll feel happy in. I promise. Chris.

Archived