Would you move back to UK if you had some rellies in Oz?

Guest Skippyplus6

Guest Skippyplus6

Hi

Thought i'd start this thread by asking a question to all those people who have moved back to UK or are moving back.

If you had a relative or a few relatives living in Oz, would you still move back to UK?

I'm looking forward to some interesting posts.:biggrin:

Guest chris955

I have a mother and 3 brothers here and still looking at going to the UK, I have 1 brother over there.

Guest Skippyplus6
I have a mother and 3 brothers here and still looking at going to the UK, I have 1 brother over there.

Thanks for your reply Chris. Obviously the pull to the UK is very strong for you then.

Thought there might've been a few more replies.

I hope everything works out for you when you get back to the UK.

Good luck:wink:

I'd say no because the fact that I had relations in the UK didn't stop me moving to Aus. At the end of the day, you can't live your life for other people you have to live it for you. I know that at some point my kids are going to fly the nest and may very well want to experience living in another country ... I hope they don't think they can't do it when the time comes because of me. At this moment in time, I don't have any intentions of returning to the UK

Hi

Thought i'd start this thread by asking a question to all those people who have moved back to UK or are moving back.

If you had a relative or a few relatives living in Oz, would you still move back to UK?

Yes the mother in law

Guest Skippyplus6
Yes the mother in law

So you'd move back to escape the mother in law would you!!!!!!!!!!!lolllllllllllllllll:biglaugh:

Guest Skippyplus6
I'd say no because the fact that I had relations in the UK didn't stop me moving to Aus. At the end of the day, you can't live your life for other people you have to live it for you. I know that at some point my kids are going to fly the nest and may very well want to experience living in another country ... I hope they don't think they can't do it when the time comes because of me. At this moment in time, I don't have any intentions of returning to the UK

This is so true. Will show this post to my sister. It might help her make up her mind about going to Oz. Thanks.:hug:

Guest demant

My in-laws live here, as does my husbands brothers and their families. We have been here since November, but planning to return to London in May/June. All my relatives live in the UK and I just haven't settled here.

I feel bad for the in-laws as they have waited 4 years for us to move out here and have relished the time spent with their grand kids, but as one poster says, we can't live our lives for other people, and anyway they are going travelling at the end of april, around Oz, for 12-18 months!!!!

Guest rocme

I emigrated with my soon to be Australian husband in 1997;I’d worked overseas for a number of years so leaving UK wasn’t a problem. When I separated and later divorced my husband I was faced with the decision of "should I go back." All my family live in UK .I decided to remain in Australia at the time but a year ago felt very unsettled and wanted to go back to England for some strange reason. I put my Golden Retriever through his rabies vaccinations ,got shipping quotes, my house valued and the list goes on.

Not once did any of my family say they looked forward to my return or offer any help. I didn’t want financial help but some words of support and encouragement would have been nice .I looked for rental accommodation on line that would take a dog, my brother did offer his flat for 600 pounds a month ,my mother’s partner has a house he rents out but said he wouldn’t have a dog in it!!

In the end I thought what the hell am I going back for. ALL my family are in UK and I’m staying here,I have good friends here ,my 12 year old dog, a good job and I manage ok financially.

Guest lifeinmono
Hi

Very hard to imagine such a different scenario to my own but seeing as I do have SOME ''rellies'' in Australia (aunts and cousins rather than immediate family) I think the answer is no. I'd still be bored and fed-up living here no matter what.

Guest SophieKin

I do have family here but doesnt make any difference, would still return to the UK. It is what is best for you at the end of the day.

Guest marknrose

we are just starting the process of returning to uk after 2.5yrs. If we had rellies here then there is no way we would go back. Its just the close family bond we miss the most and it doesnt matter how great oz is, we cannot settle without roots.

Well the only rellie that will (and does) keep me in Australia is the husband - he is the only one that I wont leave (which is unfortunate for me!).

If the DH would come with me I could leave one son and grandchildren in Aus without a backward glance (they are my only other family here) and equally I can leave one son (with prospective wife and grandchildren when they come) in UK. So either way I am going to have to be having a relationship with at least one of my kids and grandkids on a holiday basis and I can live with that. I dont mind Aus for a holiday, it's living here that is draining my soul.

• 2 weeks later...
My in-laws live here, as does my husbands brothers and their families. We have been here since November, but planning to return to London in May/June. All my relatives live in the UK and I just haven't settled here.

I feel bad for the in-laws as they have waited 4 years for us to move out here and have relished the time spent with their grand kids, but as one poster says, we can't live our lives for other people, and anyway they are going travelling at the end of april, around Oz, for 12-18 months!!!!

All my Husbands family live here in Oz and have been waiting for us to come over with our 3 young children for years-(My husband is originally from Oz)- we have not settled at all and although it has only been 3 months we don't think we evr will.

The beer/barbie/beach lifestyle is simply not for us- neither is the lack of choice/edcation/culture and complete isolation that comes with living here. We have no family in the Uk and are dreading even intimating that we plan to return at the end of the year as the inlaws will be gutted- but My husband feels completely different to his 'countrymen' and feels more of a Brit than he ever realised.

It all depends on what you left behind and we lived in a beautiful english village with a real heart and community spirit-that simply doesn't exist here.

We want to give our children the best life experiences and really don't think that Australia can offer that-Australia teaches kids about being an Aussie and not realy much else-doesn't really equip them for life anywhere else.

When ever we meet new people and we have made quite a few friends they seem to think that Oz is the best place on earth and when you ask why they say 'the weather'-not enough to build a life on for us really-family or not.

Some people love it and that's great-glad we tried it and the kids get to spend lots of time with family- but even they are bored here.

We moved to South Australia to be near close family (OH had a job offer in Sydney) and it was the worst decision we ever made - they were awful and now we no longer talk. We have heard numerous stories echoing ours and would recommend anyone moving over to be near family to reconsider.

I want to go home, but my family don't, so I'm stuck here!

Leaving a Mum, Bro, S-I-L and Niece in Oz, got a Daughter in UK.......We, plus Daughters & Dogs are going to Spain...........whichever way we jump it's a lose lose situation but in answer to your question it's a YES from me.............life is too short to live your life pleasing other people...............taken me 2 years to work that out!

Guest guest30038

I'm not going back but.............I left 3 sons and 6 grandchildren back in the UK.........but if they lived here, and I wanted to go back, then leaving them wouldn't stop me. They don't live their life for me and they wouldn't expect me to arrange my life around them. They flew the coop, so now they're flying free...........I'm doing the same :yes:

kev

Archived