Houses back 'home'

Guest chris955

Guest chris955

I have read numerous threads on this forum and while many posts make perfect sense and are based purely on facts I have also found many that are, lets just say a little skewed :biggrin:

Often I have seen people say how they could only afford a pokey little 2 bed house in the UK but here they can have a huge place with a pool and 4 bedrooms etc. I realise it depends where you live in each country that obvious but what makes people compare apples to oranges ? It is clear that some will dismiss every positive about the country they left behind and it is an obvious coping mechanism.

I have recently started looking at what sort of places are available in the Devon area I would like to return to and the choice is staggering. Even if you use a more sensible exchange rate of $2 to 1 these houses are still extremely good value for money. 4 and 5 bedroom houses with big gardens, 2 bathrooms, 2 receptions are easy to find in good areas for 200k and up. As this would be the sort of money we should have if the move goes ahead it is very exciting.

This is just an example, I didn't have to look for long to find something like this.

4 bedroom link detached house for sale in East Street, Chulmleigh, EX18, EX18

Now please as this is in the Moving back to UK section it is NOT an anti Australian thread, it just gives those with plans some idea of what they could do with their money.

I have read numerous threads on this forum and while many posts make perfect sense and are based purely on facts I have also found many that are, lets just say a little skewed :biggrin:

Often I have seen people say how they could only afford a pokey little 2 bed house in the UK but here they can have a huge place with a pool and 4 bedrooms etc. I realise it depends where you live in each country that obvious but what makes people compare apples to oranges ? It is clear that some will dismiss every positive about the country they left behind and it is an obvious coping mechanism.

I have recently started looking at what sort of places are available in the Devon area I would like to return to and the choice is staggering. Even if you use a more sensible exchange rate of $2 to 1 these houses are still extremely good value for money. 4 and 5 bedroom houses with big gardens, 2 bathrooms, 2 receptions are easy to find in good areas for 200k and up. As this would be the sort of money we should have if the move goes ahead it is very exciting.

This is just an example, I didn't have to look for long to find something like this.

4 bedroom link detached house for sale in East Street, Chulmleigh, EX18, EX18

Now please as this is in the Moving back to UK section it is NOT an anti Australian thread, it just gives those with plans some idea of what they could do with their money.

Its so tempting we came in 2005 and me still not wanted to use our house money to buy here, don't know why, but when I look at the exchange rate and cost of houses I know we could now buy one cash in England. But if we stay here then I will have to get a 25 year Mortgage for at least 200 grand.

Guest chris955

I was going to say yes it's a tough choice but to be honest for me at least it isn't. I just look at what you get for the money, a timber house with a tin roof or a double brick or stone house with a tile roof, mmm, no not really a tough one :laugh:

I was going to say yes it's a tough choice but to be honest for me at least it isn't. I just look at what you get for the money, a timber house with a tin roof or a double brick or stone house with a tile roof, mmm, no not really a tough one :laugh:

Thats funny, my thoughts as well I have always found them quite souless when I have been thinking yeah we will buy so of I go for the inspections and feel quite depressed after looking round them, and can still not take the plunge and buy.

Archived