For anyone who returned home

Guest SophieKin

Guest SophieKin

I am contemplating a trip back to the UK before we pack up and go back for good. Even though I am 100% sure I want to return my OH thinks I should go back for a visit - just in case. I just wanted advice from anyone who had done this previously or who had returned home without a visit. I have a family and it wont be cheap to send us all back for a holiday and going on my own isn't really an option.

My worry is that the return back could really put my OH off returning as he is quite happy here in Oz. Also, I lived in the UK for the majority of my life, I know what it is like - Is it really worth going back for a visit???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Could I just ask why did you move out to Australia in the first place? Those reasons that were in the UK will probably still be here.

Friends of mine who live up near Nambour, hubby very settled wife very very homesick and just had a new baby. They came for a visit and realised the life they have in Oz far outweighs the life they would lead in the UK..but hey everyone is different and all have their own issues.

Ps I think the rain every day and next door being burgled in front of their own eyes helped tip the scales as well........

NIC xx

Guest chris955

Lots of people come here looking for something that doesn't necessarily exist and after a time they come to realise that the dream isn't reality, some go home and realise they shouldn't have left in the first place and others go home and realise they were happier in Oz.

From what I read on here it definitely depends on where they lived in the UK.

Guest rayman1

I think you have to go over to Australia to experience it and see if it is for you. If you are happy in the UK, why move? But if you live in a rough area and are unhappy with everything it may be worth it. Didn't work for me, I was alot happier in UK than Australia so moved back. But I wouldn't have known if I hadn't gone in the first place.

Guest SophieKin
Could I just ask why did you move out to Australia in the first place? Those reasons that were in the UK will probably still be here.

Friends of mine who live up near Nambour, hubby very settled wife very very homesick and just had a new baby. They came for a visit and realised the life they have in Oz far outweighs the life they would lead in the UK..but hey everyone is different and all have their own issues.

Ps I think the rain every day and next door being burgled in front of their own eyes helped tip the scales as well........

NIC xx

Hi Nic

I moved because I had visited Oz several times and thought it would be a nice place to bring up a family, however after living here for a while I have realised it is such a different place to live and you just cant see that from a holiday here. I am dreadfully unhappy and I had a lovely life back in the UK, I wasnt running or trying to escape something in the UK, I just thought the grass was greener and it certainly isn't. Sometimes it just takes a huge move like this to realise that!!

Guest Clarebob

Hi I'd go back for a visit, I don't think I'd have come back if I had (and I was sure I was doing the right thing), yes UK is just as nice as I remember but even after being away for only a year, we've all changed and moved on. Also my husband who loved living in Australia but was happy to come back as I wanted to, is obviously not happy here and seeing him like that makes me feel worse than I did in Australia.

Guest SophieKin
Hi I'd go back for a visit, I don't think I'd have come back if I had (and I was sure I was doing the right thing), yes UK is just as nice as I remember but even after being away for only a year, we've all changed and moved on. Also my husband who loved living in Australia but was happy to come back as I wanted to, is obviously not happy here and seeing him like that makes me feel worse than I did in Australia.

Thanks Clare,

this is what I dont want to happen, it would be nice for us both to want to return, I dont think my OH would be unhappy in the UK like I am here but it will be hard at first. He can adapt anywhere, unfortunately, I cant.

It is probably worth a visit to see if I still feel the same.

NIC xx

People always ask ' why did you move/those reasons will still be there' etc. Sorry, I did not move because of crime,rain,recession etc etc. I just wanted a change, is that so bad? Turns out Australia, for many of us here,may not be the place settle down in after all.

I'm going back for a visit in July with my boys but my Oh is not coming as he's happy here and the only way he'll leave Oz is in a wooden box!! so we're going back after 15 months to see what it is that homesick about,as somedays I don't know what I really want but I know in my heart of hearts, that I don't think I'll ever be happy here and if that means being a single parent so be it.xxxx

Lots of people come here looking for something that doesn't necessarily exist and after a time they come to realise that the dream isn't reality, some go home and realise they shouldn't have left in the first place and others go home and realise they were happier in Oz.

From what I read on here it definitely depends on where they lived in the UK.

There's also the chance that you still won't be able to decide and ping pong between the two.

Over the last few years my advice has probably changed, at the start when it was very new to me I was saying give it time, things may change etc., now from reading the experience of those returning I'd say follow your heart. Before deciding on settling in Aus, my brother made a visit back to the UK ... he wanted to make sure that he wasn't just thinking that the grass was greener ..... he decided to remain in Aus after the visit (at that time he didn't have children), for others it will confirm what you've been missing.

Good luck in your decision

Ali x

I wont decide where i want to be until I go back to the uk to be honest. I have to go home first!!

but my scales are tipping to uk my life is much better than i thought. my OH though is loving oz ....

If its HOME go! dont winge on here , is money no object is it an adventure ,a bloody expensive one at that . Just swap your visa with someone who wants australia as there home, there is a long cue at that end

Guest siamsusie
I wont decide where i want to be until I go back to the uk to be honest. I have to go home first!!

but my scales are tipping to uk my life is much better than i thought. my OH though is loving oz ....

Claireand Luke, I have followed your travels throughout Australia. Whatever you decide good luck to the pair of you. There are so many beautiful parts of the world to see and if Australia isnt for you, so be it. You have done a fair bit of travelling and are more than experienced to say this place isnt for you! Rest your head where you are happy! Susie :wubclub:

Background first, we emmigrated in July last year and worked bloody hard to get here. After 8 months I started to wonder if I, not us had made the right decsion.

I went back three weeks ago for 10 days and absolutely hated it. When we were in england the trepidation meant we didnt know what to expect from oz but we were willing to go for it. After 9 months of life on the gold coast, when I went back and now know where I have come from, it makes the UK look 10 times worse than it was when I left.

I never want to go back now, oz is home and with PR due this week and the new house to start building in a month, you can keep the UK.

It works for some and not for others, for me, I wake up and open the curtains every morning and say to Rach, another day in paradise! Long may it continue.

Sean

Background first, we emmigrated in July last year and worked bloody hard to get here. After 8 months I started to wonder if I, not us had made the right decsion.

I went back three weeks ago for 10 days and absolutely hated it. When we were in england the trepidation meant we didnt know what to expect from oz but we were willing to go for it. After 9 months of life on the gold coast, when I went back and now know where I have come from, it makes the UK look 10 times worse than it was when I left.

I never want to go back now, oz is home and with PR due this week and the new house to start building in a month, you can keep the UK.

It works for some and not for others, for me, I wake up and open the curtains every morning and say to Rach, another day in paradise! Long may it continue.

Sean

Dont know bout paradise mate havent seen no naked virgins walikn about in Wa MIGHT BE DIFFERENT ON THE gc ,but we came here never visited open mind but intent on stayin 457 due to age but now pr been back for hoilday??? and know we have done the right thing . not financially but we know we are home ( still murder a pint of real tho)

I am contemplating a trip back to the UK before we pack up and go back for good. Even though I am 100% sure I want to return my OH thinks I should go back for a visit - just in case. I just wanted advice from anyone who had done this previously or who had returned home without a visit. I have a family and it wont be cheap to send us all back for a holiday and going on my own isn't really an option.

My worry is that the return back could really put my OH off returning as he is quite happy here in Oz. Also, I lived in the UK for the majority of my life, I know what it is like - Is it really worth going back for a visit???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I went home after being her 9 months I loved it but I said to myself oh I cant wait to get back to Oz cos life is so much better...I then went back again at 18 months(god all our friends getting married)...again loved it but no life is better in Oz...had a son 6 months later and went back again for 2 weeks...oh no life is so much better in Oz...18 months later went back had a ball but life is better in Oz....I knew deep down it wasnt for us...but I kept trying...now we are going home...dont get me wrong Australia is lovely and I really wished we could have settled but we never....I dont think I could give my children a bad life in the Uk because as a parent I will do my upmost to make it a good life...

Each to their own but I know I cannot wait to be back in the UK fulltime :hug:Good luck

Guest chris955

Of course some will go back to the UK and then ping pong back again and others will go back and settle straight back into life, we are all different and want different things.

Of course some will go back to the UK and then ping pong back again and others will go back and settle straight back into life, we are all different and want different things.

Chris I am for the most part settled here you in repect arent I can respect your opinion but in all these threads cant everybody just get on with it instead of makin it a scrap between wots good and bad bout wherevere kurdistan or friggin greenland. TBH in my own opinion here in oz its thewanna be livin the dreamers who hit the **** fan because living here is not what a holiday is like and vice versa in the uk ,fell off the soapbox

Your right Chris but I think some of us try too hard to make our life here in Australia I truely believe I was one of them. I am going back to the Uk after 5 years here do not get me wrong it wasnt all bad...lots of good things have come out of us being here but I know deep down England is where I want myself, husband and 2 children to grow up...Not for everyone but for us yes...

Hubby is there now and he said I cant believe we stayed so long in Australia it is actually pretty good here....maybe he is in holiday mode who knows but what I do know is I aint going to stay around being unhappy..I tried I gave it a good go but now for me my life is to move on back to the UK...to some this is good to some it is bad....who cares to me it is what I want...and going home we will do xxx.

I truely wish everyone where-ever they are where they want to be good luck....life is too short and go and get everthing you wish xxx

I'm not altogether sure what you just said then :confused:

Concentating on the keyboard now,

I can respect peoples points of view been to oz and could not live there, and people who have settled there , why have big scraps about it , and post on the whyfores when its your opinion , I think a lot of the folks who go back ( not you or any others ) but the livin the dreamers , sun and sea and and and no friggin bills , i have been on here a couple of years and seen this a few times ther are posters on hers nowe slaggin off oz , previously slaggin off the uk when they were there , when i hinted on caution got my bollox kicked ,I knoe who they are and chuckle on there posts,must be so dizzy me

Concentating on the keyboard now,

I can respect peoples points of view been to oz and could not live there, and people who have settled there , why have big scraps about it , and post on the whyfores when its your opinion , I think a lot of the folks who go back ( not you or any others ) but the livin the dreamers , sun and sea and and and no friggin bills , i have been on here a couple of years and seen this a few times ther are posters on hers nowe slaggin off oz , previously slaggin off the uk when they were there , when i hinted on caution got my bollox kicked ,I knoe who they are and chuckle on there posts,must be so dizzy me

I agree..why get into this big debate of Aus v Uk....because what is pro Aus maybe pro UK for the next person....I actually love reading PIO and dont mind the odd contribution but I have seen a few threads lately that are a bit OTT...and to be honest I think why bother I will just read and let them all get on with their petty arguments....who cares but what I do believe is there are alot of people out their trying to come to Oz and lets not spoil it with stupid arguments...what is good for one is not always good for another...dont get me wrong I do believe in honest opinions....I am a returnee...but what that doesnt make my experience any different for the next good luck all going lefts hope it is all YOU want.

:hug:

Guest SophieKin
I'm going back for a visit in July with my boys but my Oh is not coming as he's happy here and the only way he'll leave Oz is in a wooden box!! so we're going back after 15 months to see what it is that homesick about,as somedays I don't know what I really want but I know in my heart of hearts, that I don't think I'll ever be happy here and if that means being a single parent so be it.xxxx

I hope it makes things clearer for you. My OH wants me to go on my own but I think he needs to go as if I am noticeably happier there I would like him to see that. Please let me know how you get on and if it makes any difference.

Thanks

S

Guest SophieKin
get back as quick as ya can, the quicker you get there the quicker you can book your flight back here......cause ya will.....:biggrin:

I dont think so.

Archived