Selling the car...how did you manage?

Que Sera Sera

Hi we are flying to Perth 9 weeks today :jiggy:

We have a car to sell, but we need a car as we live in a village and public transport is frankly pants.

How did everyone else overcome this? We need to put new MOT on it and then start trying to sell it, but when?

Can anyone tell me how they managed?

Many thanks :wubclub:

Could you advertise it with an ''available from'' date??????? and let it go the day before you leave.

We actually left ours with a friend who sold it for us then forwarded the money on, might be worth asking if you know someone reliable and trustworthy.

Cal x

Guest Tania Cox

Unfortunately there are always going to be periods of time where, you are without the things you need or having to rent for while as have sold house...that's the thing with moving halfway round the world...but its short term problems...we're taking our cars with us...as both quite new and only 900 per car to ship over...and would lose out lots if sold and got new ones out there...and we hear cars are more expensive for the intial purchase. We'll keep ours till month before we leave then will take 3 months to ship so will be without them at first, but will rent one...and only short term problems. Good luck!

Just to add as Tania's comment about renting reminded me,lol.

If your worried about getting to the airport and dont really want family to take you , you can have a hire car delivered to your house which you then drive to the airport and leave it there for the company to collect. We have done this twice as we lived in Manchester but flew from Heathrow and its worked well both times.

Cal x

Guest stockies

We put ours on EBAY and sold it a week before we left and just hired one and left it with the hire folks at the airport ......It was perfect ....

Claire. XX

Well, we were lucky in that we sold both house and car before we left. We were in a fortunate position of me being retired but I'll toss out what we did in case it inspires anyone else...

We hired a decent sized RV for about six weeks before we left and took the gap between the house sale and departure to do a tour of the UK, saying goodbye to family and friends dotted around the country and also having a fond last look--our tour went from the north of Scotland down to the Isle of Wight.

Since the RV hire company was used to dealing with overseas visitors, they offered transfers to the airport at the end.

Bob

Unfortunately there are always going to be periods of time where, you are without the things you need or having to rent for while as have sold house...that's the thing with moving halfway round the world...but its short term problems...we're taking our cars with us...as both quite new and only 900 per car to ship over...and would lose out lots if sold and got new ones out there...and we hear cars are more expensive for the intial purchase. We'll keep ours till month before we leave then will take 3 months to ship so will be without them at first, but will rent one...and only short term problems. Good luck!

HI, is that £900 per car to ship to Australia from the UK? Whos your shipping company? would be very interested?:cute:

Guest TheStalkies

We too needed our car right up until the day before we left. We just put in on ebay with a fair minimum reserve price and stating what date the car was available from.

As long as you're reasonable with price expectations - it should sell and you can keep your car until the last minute.

Good Luck

Stalky

HI, is that £900 per car to ship to Australia from the UK? Whos your shipping company? would be very interested?:cute:

Second that. I just got quoted 2054 euros "groupage" from Pickfords in Dublin. Ridiculous. Groupage was what they came back with when I asked for a RORO price - so I assume thats what groupage is for a car.......

i was left with family car which was not great !!!!! webuyanycar.com is where is sold mine in the end be prepared that you will not get the full quote that you get online cause they go over car with fine tooth comb !!!

but my car was not great x but hey it sold !

good luck

Guest Janeloz

We leave in 6 weeks and had 2 cars to sell. Luckily my dad needs a new car and has bought mine and told me that I can hang onto it right up until we go. The other car my husband drove through a 'ford' about 3 weeks ago, and the insurance has written it off due to water damage and paid us what we bought it for in January, so that has worked out rather well. Just means we have to manage with one car, but he often works from home, and if he needs to go further afield he just hires one for the day.

Archived