Bread

Smiler

Hi Fellow PIO's

I obviously have too much time on my hands today....I just wondered if other people have pondered over why bread is so expensive here in Oz when the actual size of the slices of bread are so small in comparison to back in the UK! I got a shock when I visited the UK and being rekindled with a UK slice of bread after a long absence - it looked sooo huge!!

Ok, have got that off my chest.

Thanks

Smiler:biggrin:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

Not something I have given much thought but oddly enough when we picked up a couple of home brand loaves today I must admit I gasped to see them $1.79 each, for home brand. It's only flour which costs about $5 a truckload :laugh:

I buy the soy and linseed bread and usually get it on offer from woolies at 2 for $6 ... or bread from the bakery. I've tried the cheaper bread but the kids don't eat it so end up throwing it away.

This has puzzled me too since arriving last year. Bread here doesn't have a taste really - no that i have found anyway. I've tried supermarket and Bakers Delight which is worse IMHO; why everyone queues there and pays high prices is beyond me!!:rolleyes:

The most edible I found was Coles own brand very fresh and has taste.

I tried Woolworths home brand which tastes stale???

Anyone else give their views or offer us some direction in buying a good loaf??:biggrin:

I buy the soy and linseed bread and usually get it on offer from woolies at 2 for $6 ... or bread from the bakery. I've tried the cheaper bread but the kids don't eat it so end up throwing it away.

I love that bread and some of the other seeded breads such as pumpkin seed. Actually prefer it to most of the UK bread. But I agree it does seem expensive.

Still, there is lots of stuff which is cheaper here so I don't mind!

I love that bread and some of the other seeded breads such as pumpkin seed. Actually prefer it to most of the UK bread. But I agree it does seem expensive.

Still, there is lots of stuff which is cheaper here so I don't mind!

Its only wholemeal with a sprinkling

Carine Glades Bakery. $3.50 for a a very large turkish flatbread.... delicious warm and smothered in butter or brie or pate or that gorgeous pumpkin/cashew and parmesan dip!

I would love to buy the more interesting bread types (seeded breads, etc) but my hubby won't budge from eating anything other than white or wholemeal.

I love my carbs!!!

Going slightly off the subject (and hoping that I don't sound like a whinging pom :biggrin: I love Australia!) - custard - oh how I would love a tin of Ambroisia, Birds, etc - the custard here tastes different - it's more a vanilla taste than a egg custard taste. Gonna have to get an apron on me and get DIY-busy in the kitchen.

Smiler

I would love to buy the more interesting bread types (seeded breads, etc) but my hubby won't budge from eating anything other than white or wholemeal.

I love my carbs!!!

Going slightly off the subject (and hoping that I don't sound like a whinging pom :biggrin: I love Australia!) - custard - oh how I would love a tin of Ambroisia, Birds, etc - the custard here tastes different - it's more a vanilla taste than a egg custard taste. Gonna have to get an apron on me and get DIY-busy in the kitchen.

Smiler

You can buy Birds custard powder in most supermarkets here, it's the only custard powder I use. :wink:

Thanks Dorrydo! I'll go and check it out:biggrin:

We get Birds from Coles next to the *Asian* section for some reason!!!??

Our local one sells Ambrosia Rice pudding and Devon Custard and PG Tips Teabags.

I HAVE to buy Bisto Gravy as I CANNOT stand Gravox or any of the other 6 packets i have in my pantry that are just YUCK!! But I get that from a chocolate

shop $6.50:huh::biglaugh:

I have seen bread on supermarket shelves for $7.... Have to stop myself from LOL'LING uncontrollably on the shop floor. Another winge of mine to join the ever growing list.

I used to get a stunning freshly baked seeded loaf from Saisnburys, still warm, for a 1 quid 30. Oh, and while we are on the basics... why is milk not milk?? You can have one brand of skimmed on a shelf for $3... and next to it, another brand for $1.50. Whats the issue?

Guest Hearne_Family

Coles own brand is actually pretty good, I would never have own brand bread in the UK, not being a brand snob but the flavour and texture was horrible on the cheap stuff there, here its all we ever buy.

Blatent profiteering at our expense.Seems to me like when we are in the Supermarket here,everything is just that little bit smaller than the equivalent elsewhere in the world.The bread loaves are often smaller,but still expensive.The Chocky bars are tiny,but expensive.The pints of beer in the pub are 425 ml,and expensive,the UK pint is 568 ml,BIG DIFFERENCE.I aint 'avin a go at OZ ere,coz loads about it is good,it's just that the big two Supermarkets are having a ball IMO,constantly taking the piisss out of the public,upping the prices almost weekly,or dropping the weight of their products and still charging the same price!What's that all about?:confused:

Buy a bread maker in the uk ,wish we had brought ours

My sister in law who is australian told me today when I was saying how expensive things seem they never buy anything like bread,cakes, patries or pies etc as they bake their own-they simply cannot afford to :wideeyed:and they both work!!!

Not something I have given much thought but oddly enough when we picked up a couple of home brand loaves today I must admit I gasped to see them $1.79 each, for home brand. It's only flour which costs about $5 a truckload :laugh:

Also I really struggle to buy soft bread rolls even though they say soft on the wrapper they are always really stale is that the wrapping they use...?:wideeyed:

Guest chris955

Because the bread is crap and the sausages are crap it is really hard to make a decent sausage sandwich. :laugh:

Guest Hearne_Family
Blatent profiteering at our expense.Seems to me like when we are in the Supermarket here,everything is just that little bit smaller than the equivalent elsewhere in the world.The bread loaves are often smaller,but still expensive.The Chocky bars are tiny,but expensive.The pints of beer in the pub are 425 ml,and expensive,the UK pint is 568 ml,BIG DIFFERENCE.I aint 'avin a go at OZ ere,coz loads about it is good,it's just that the big two Supermarkets are having a ball IMO,constantly taking the piisss out of the public,upping the prices almost weekly,or dropping the weight of their products and still charging the same price!What's that all about?:confused:

Umm thats because 568 ml is a pint and 425 ml is not!! lol

Archived