Smiler

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hearne_Family
Yes,but they call 425 ml a pint,and charge you for it accordingly!:confused:

Isnt 425 a schooner?? :confused::confused:

Yes,but they call 425 ml a pint,and charge you for it accordingly!:confused:

I like how they sell things for $2.99 and then round it up because they don't have less than 5c here. They would never get away with that in the Uk- they wouldn't be able to adverise things for a price that doesn't exist. lol

:laugh:

I would love to buy the more interesting bread types (seeded breads, etc) but my hubby won't budge from eating anything other than white or wholemeal.

I love my carbs!!!

Going slightly off the subject (and hoping that I don't sound like a whinging pom :biggrin: I love Australia!) - custard - oh how I would love a tin of Ambroisia, Birds, etc - the custard here tastes different - it's more a vanilla taste than a egg custard taste. Gonna have to get an apron on me and get DIY-busy in the kitchen.

Smiler

IGA used to sell Birds Custard powder (not looked for it for a while).

Guest Hearne_Family
I am in SA,and a pint is served in a 425 glass,the Imperial pint is sold in a 570 ml glass here.Wiki it!:wideeyed:

God Im confused now!

I like how they sell things for $2.99 and then round it up because they don't have less than 5c here. They would never get away with that in the Uk- they wouldn't be able to adverise things for a price that doesn't exist. lol

:laugh:

If you pay by card then you pay the exact amount. If you are paying cash and it is $2.97 then they round down to $2.95. It all works good in the end.

If you pay by card then you pay the exact amount. If you are paying cash and it is $2.97 then they round down to $2.95. It all works good in the end.

Yes that is right and I am in Brisbane so it's not just over in Perth that they do this.

Wendy

We get Birds from Coles next to the *Asian* section for some reason!!!??

Our local one sells Ambrosia Rice pudding and Devon Custard and PG Tips Teabags.

I HAVE to buy Bisto Gravy as I CANNOT stand Gravox or any of the other 6 packets i have in my pantry that are just YUCK!! But I get that from a chocolate

shop $6.50:huh::biglaugh:

Count me as another Brit in search of Birds custard. My husband loves the stuff and I'd like to get it specifically to make this cake: http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=190 We have some Roses vanilla custard here at home but neither of us are keen on that one so I don't fancy using it for the cake.

We looked in Woolworths and Coles here in Hobart for Birds custard yesterday and found every brand but that one. That said, neither of us checked the Asian food section of Coles for Birds Custard. Was it stored apart from all the other custards in your local Coles?

Must be a Qld thing-everything gets rounded up here cash or card.

Must be just your little town out in the sticks as rounded down here in Brisbane. :wink: People who work can also afford to pay the $2.50 for a loaf of bread here too :biglaugh:

I'm on the search for the Birds powder custard this weekend (never thought I would have to stoop to powder custard (as in, I am too lazy to take the extra minute or so to make it) but hey I'm desperate!!!:yellow_guy_crazy_ty

I wonder if at the end of the day Australia makes a profit or a loss with the items costing e.g 78p, $1.21, etc....

I'm used to it now but it used to be embarrassing waiting for the change when I had bought something and the check-out girl is looking at me thinking 'yes, you can go now!!'

Smiler:biggrin:

Guest YellowGecko

Yes, bread is expensive in Oz...BUT....and it is a big BUT...

The bread feels lovely and fresh in Australia.

I miss Ozzy bread. I am yet to find a UK loaf as "squishy" as Australian loaves.

We had a good look through our local Coles yesterday but there was no sign of any Birds custard even in the Asian food section so I guess they must simply be out of stock.

Hi Happy Lass,

If you can not find any where to buy it in Tas. PM me and I can send a couple of tins down to you :hug:

Ooh thank you very much :hug:

We've got an English food shop in town to check through too but if they haven't got any I might just take you up on that offer :smile:

You are very welcome. I will be going on holiday down to South Australia on Monday for a couple of weeks so can either get some off to you in Tas. by tomorrow or when I get back home. :wink:

Guest soon2move

I found Ambrosia custard in both Coles and Woolies but it was over $4 a tin. But one day, after trying their version of custard, I had to give in and spend that money. And it was luurrvley!

Bread wise, I really like it - i get the wholemeal fresh loaf that's cut into slices (quite thick ones at that) for $2.95 from Woolies....I love sitting down to my sandwiches these days.

Also another thing I don't particularly like is their mayonnaise...had to chose the Praise brand versus their version which still doesnt live up to UK mayo. And coleslaw...they have coleslaw in a bottle like mayo...what's that all about!?!

However, at least they have original Galaxy chocolate unlike the Cadburys - but thankfully found an IGA recently with the real Cadburys from the UK. I was so happy :daydreaming::biggrin:

Hi

I must agree about the mayonaise,, tuna mayo sandwiches are yakk using normal Aussie mayo,lol, i but the whole egg Mayonaise, its a little bit more expenisve but pretty much the same as the Mayo us pommies are used too.

Cal x

Archived