Shipping Advise Please

mandymcqueen

Hi all

I am looking for some advise on shipping out our stuff. Does anyone have a rough idea of how much a container costs, one big enough to ship over a 2 bedroom house, I really dont want to leave most of our stuff behind when we move but we dont know if it would be worth it financially.

Is there much of a difference in the prices of sofa's, bed and things in Australia.

Also if anyone has shipped over their belongings can they recommend any good companies, there seems to be so many I dont know where to start.

Thanks

Mandy

Guest Taz01

Hi Mandy,

For a two bed house you probably won't fill a full container; you probably want to go groupage, which is a shared service- it will work out cheaper. A 20ft container is going to cost you in the region of £3300- £4500, depending on how full it is, but if you go groupage you just pay for the cost of the packing and the percentage of the container you use. I don't want to recommend a particular company (I actually work for Allied Pickfords) but as long as you check what the quote includes, eg; full export wrapping and packing, customs clearance and redelivery, plus insurance you should be able to compare like for like. We do like to be competitive and its Allied all the way to Oz so its worth getting a quote. Remember that most companies are pretty desperate for the business so if you let them know that you have cheaper quote elsewhere they may be able to match it.

Eva

:spinny:

Guest freshfields

Hi Mandy

We got a quote for 690cuft £2900, for 3bedroom groupage so I'm sure you should get a quote for your 2bedroom.

Shop around and get those quotes, then see if you can pin them down a bit more.

Good luck

karen

Guest carolinejane

Hi

We have a 5 bedroom house, not taking any wardrobes as ours are all fitted but we have had a quote for £3300 for a sole use on a 20ft and £3900 for a 40ft (we were going to take a car, but its a nightmare so changed our minds) so i would expect yours to be alot cheaper. Phone around most will give a rough quote over the phone. We were initially going to take a lot but the cost of buying stuff out there i believe is the same price as at home, i dont think i could wait 12 weeks for my washing machine or iron to arrive so i will not be taking these with me. Where are you heading too??:spinny:

We paid £3,800 for 20ft container which contained practically all our stuff from a 3 bed (extended) house. 2 sofa's 2 beds, dining table and 6 chairs, garden table & chairs, pots and pans, TV, washer, dryer etc.

We have still had to buy furniture here as our house is larger, and there is no way we could have replaced what we brought from the UK for the price of the container (at the same quality) Others have just taken personal stuff and bought stuff here.

If you google - the good guys (electrical) and furniture bazarre you may get an idea of costs of some things, there's also Ikea

Ali

"ali

there is no way we could have replaced what we brought from the UK for the price of the container"

your so right i never thought of it like that 3k sounds cheap

i'd pay 5000 lol

my sofa was 1300 on its own then the tv 2000 then all the mrs shoes 10,000 nar only kidding

what is the volts out there i thought it was 110v

Moz,

Hubbys dad kept telling us to sell stuff and buy new but we'd have got a fraction of the price. We'd only just bought 2 leather sofa's and didn't want to leave those behind. We have bought a fair bit of stuff, bed for son, drawers for the bedrooms (as ours had been fitted in the UK0, Hubby 'treated himeself' to a 42 " TV which we "really needed", bed for us so old bed can go in spare room - all adds up.

Ali

thanks for all the replies. I think I will definately look into shipping my things, becuase we have got some really expensive things in this house that i just love my 2 sofas and my bed, still trying to convince my Oh that we should just bring everything with us. Using the "it might help us settle easier if we have our home comforts with us" he doesnt seem to be buying it though.

I will just have to start talking him round, but if we were to sell everything we wouldnt get anywhere near the prices we origianlly paid for these things.

Do you have to wait for months and months to collect your things at the other side or is it quite quick?

well wish me luck I am off to talk him round.

Ours took 12 weeks to arrive in Fremantle (which was the estimated time we were given). Having some familiar items does make it feel a little more like home - there wasn't much we left behind

Ali

We are in the process of getting quotes in at the mo. We were told to budget up to £4000 for a £20 container - hertfordshire to gold coast. quotes coming in a little under at the mo, this is for full packing service this end, collection, shipment, delivery and unpacking at other end along with insurance and customs clearance, paperwork etc.

You can pack it yourself but bear in mind a couple of things. Your shippers will pack using packaging suitable for export shipping and if they pack they take responsibility for customs clearance along with any insurance claims being sorted better (should they arise) as there will no arguments from insurance company that goods were not packed suitably.

If you are quite confident in dealing with all this stuff yourself then l am sure you will save quite a bit of money however l going with the least stress method (cos l dont deal with stress v. well :twitcy:.

Our ideal plan (house sale permitting) is to send our goods on their way 6-8 wks before we depart so we are not too long without them when we get there. However we are v. lucky in that we will stay with in-laws until that time arrives.

Also, shippers dont charge for coming round to give quote (if unsure ask when arranging for quote and if they do then dont use em l guess)

Hope that helps :err:

Lyn x

You don't pay for the quote, they pack and unpack for you. At this end we just asked them to unpack big items of furniture (that they'd taken apart), they then arranged to collect the boxes of stuff we unpacked ourselves.

Ali

thanks for all the replies. I think I will definately look into shipping my things, becuase we have got some really expensive things in this house that i just love my 2 sofas and my bed, still trying to convince my Oh that we should just bring everything with us. Using the "it might help us settle easier if we have our home comforts with us" he doesnt seem to be buying it though.

I will just have to start talking him round, but if we were to sell everything we wouldnt get anywhere near the prices we origianlly paid for these things.

Do you have to wait for months and months to collect your things at the other side or is it quite quick?

well wish me luck I am off to talk him round.

lol just keep telling him how much money you would save that would work for me i know im a man lol.

i think my kids would love camping in the living room for a few weeks while we waited for our stuff to come £10 argos tent some sleeping bags yeh sounds great fun then again theres the mrs nope bad idea:twitcy:

You have to weigh up the value of items against cost of shipping, for example a single bed and mattress may be over 35 square foot so 35 x £5 = £175. So is it worth shipping an od bed at a cost of £175? My kids beds brand new cost less than that so its pointless taking them. Electrical items such as washing machines etc its going to depend on how old they are, our washing macine is about 5 years old so again its not worth shipping as its probably getting near to its trouble free life and will probably start to breakdown especially after its going to be shipped half way around the world and not be used for the next 2 months ( electrical items in Regular use when switched off for long periods can pose probems )

We Felt it cost effective to bring stuff, everything we brought has worked perfectly here. We filled a 20ft container for £3,000 (then the insurance), We lived in a 3 bed detatched house and brought almost everything except built in stuff. Here we've still had to buy fridge/freezer, patio furniture, sofa, TV Single bed, Queen Bed (mattresses are quite expensive), drawers for all bedrooms, lawn mower - believe me the cost adds up. You would struggle to furnish a 4x2 on the equivelant of £3,000

Ali

Hi Some of the price quoted on here seem to be considerably less that I have been quoted for a 4 bed house (only 3 used as bedrooms) 20ft sole use container which comes out lowest quote at £3,800 with Crown(thats after they reduced it from £4,200). We are not taking any wardrobes (built in) or drawers or bedside table, dining table or chairs or fridge freezer or dishwater. So this seems a lot. The only big furniture is 1 king size solid wood bed & mattress, 1 single solid wood bed & mattress and set of nursery furniture (small wardrobe , drawers, cot, nursing chair), 2 softs and a washer & dryer. Rest is personal stuff/toys. It has been estimated at 840cft.

Mmmmm

Em x

Guest cStar

We have Crown coming over on July 4th for a quote. Interesting that they drop the fees if pushed. We have a 2bed flat, but have got lots of things so thinking it may mean we have to have a full 20ft container, but will wait to see what they say.

Has anyone taken wine collections with them? Is it costly?

If so I guess we will be having a merry few weeks drinking our fave bottles!!

Archived