• 3 weeks later...
Guest josiebrum81

There's lots of sailing clubs in Melbourne. We only started this year, so not very familiar with everything or how it compares to the UK, but we did a class at Elwood Sailing Class that was good value and good teaching. They hold races too.

I've heard it's easy to crew on boats on races out of Sandringham Sailing Club, and you can leave adverts in many clubs. Most sailing clubs are on the beach, so maybe you should look to live by the beach if you really love sailing. There's also sailing on Albert Park lake.

Overall, you'll definitely find plenty of sailing opps in Melbourne!

Guest Rexi

I did a competent crewing course with Baysail Cruises - luxury sailing cruises, yacht charter, sailing school and went on to work for them for a year, if you contact them ask for Kerry - he's a wealth of information about crewing opportunities/ connections for boat sales and stories!

I have also volunteered on the Enterprize Enterprize Ships - Home

There are sailing clubs in williamstown and I've heard great things about Sandringham being a very social club.

Bon vent!

Clare:jimlad:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your answers, sounds ideal.

I want to continue the sailing in Aus. I am in the middle of my RYA training, currently doing the RYA Coastal Skipper / YM part and have spoken to a company in the Whitsundays that offer the practical bit (more fun than the Solent :wink:) and intend to the do the theory part before leaving the Uk.

Thank you both again David:biggrin:

Guest iselinger

I am afraid it doesnt help you but I have just spent all day on Sydney harbour in a 36ft Hunter. It could have been warmer and a bit more wind but any day sailing is a 'good' day!

I am afraid it doesnt help you but I have just spent all day on Sydney harbour in a 36ft Hunter. It could have been warmer and a bit more wind but any day sailing is a 'good' day!

Indeed. I hope now you are enjoying a cold, crisp beer !:jimlad:

Guest Ali Rose

Hi weemster

I did 15years of dinghy sailing on the isle of wight but haven't got back into since i've been here, often dream but never get any further at the mo, so when you get here and if you ever need a crew let me know.

Thanks

Ali

Guest iselinger

Weemster,

I dont know if it is the same in Melbourne ss Sydney (suspect it is) but here if you go to a club and ask the secretary they usually have an 'available for crew' list that you can put your name down on. This gives you a point of cantact and you can soon find someone who needs a permanent crew. I raced a lot on the harbour last season. If you can make yourself available during the week then there are frequently retired people with big (very nice) boats who need a crew to sail with.

Good luck finding something.

Cheers Guys. Great points both.

Thinking of buying a boat so as and when will be in touch.

Ali - Was blasting round the IOW (near the needles) last week myself, so dust off those sailing shoes and get back out there. :biggrin:

Iselinger - Sydney has got the climate but I bet the Solent has got the fear factor :wink:

Guest iselinger

The harbour is pretty tame addmittedly, assuming you ingnore the omnipresent Manly bloody ferry, but stick your nose out beyond the heads and it can get pretty scary when the wind and swell are up!

Archived