Motorcycling in Oz

Guest Locksley

Guest Locksley

I'll make this my introduction as well as my obvious passion.

I came out with me mum when I was a kid and have lived in the Sutherland Shire most of my life. (That's south of Sydney.) I'm a lifelong motorcyclist, owned a ton of bikes and still love two wheels. Haven't owned a car for most of my life, despite what the Aussies say it's never cold enough here not to ride (unless you're living at Thredbo in the Snowy Mountains):biggrin:

I've ridden more than a million kilometers here and know most of the good bike roads, both tarmac and dirt.

The wife and I have currently have a couple of small dual-sports and try and get away camping on the bikes every couple of months.

I was just wondering if any of you guys or gals on the forum already in Oz or coming over soon were into bikes?

We like to get out into the countryside as often as we can, even if it's just a day ride.

There's a few nice country pubs we ride to for lunch on weekends when we're both free.

We try and get a weekend away in the Blue Mountains as often as we're able also.

We prefer the secondary tarred roads and dirt roads, but most places we go a road bike will not have any trouble.

Being as we're Sydney based I was just wondering if anyone might care to meet up at some future date for a ride/lunch, scenic trip?

The advantage of having lived here for so long is that we know all the good places for new riders to explore. And we enjoy showing people places they wouldn't have otherwise discovered. (Or not for a long time anyway.)

Cheers: Kevin.

Guest fearfactory

Hi Kevin, I used to live in Sydney. Was there on a business visa back in 2003. At the moment im back in ireland and applying for PR so playing the waiting game. Used to have a TL1000R over there and most sundays headed out with a few lads alright, more so out of Sydney to avoid the silly amount of camera's at the ready to catch you out on the slightest of increase of speed. You're sure to find a few lunatics on R1's taking 80kmph blind bends at 150kmph on the Old Putty Road and further on out that direction if your into shear madness. Had one or two scary moments myself but all part of the fun (to an extent).

Ive got a Ducati 916 now and certainly bringing that with me when i leave. Maybe pick up a nice RR Fireblade when i get there :biggrin: Will be (hopefully) heading to Perth to visit a few relatives and then onto Sydney to start a new life. More than happy to head out for a few spins when I get there.

Guest Locksley

G'day FF

Yeah...I know the Putty RD

Here's a bit of goss for you.

A couple of blokes on bikes stopped for a pee on a corner of the Putty about a month ago...not the best place to stop, obviously.

While one bloke is relieveing himself he notices something chrome deeper in the bush.

Walks further in, finds a Triumph bike...and a skeleton in leathers nearby...and gloves and a helmet on the ground.

CSI blokes reckon the rider missed the corner...zoomed off into the bush until he struck some trees. Helmet and gloves off indicate he was alive for a while. Too deep in to be seen by a passing car or bike. I guess he didn't have or couldn't manage to use a cell phone.

His wife had reported him missing...3 years before.

He went out for an afternoon ride to Singleton...and just disappeared.

Shocking hey?

Makes me think of all the times I've been trail riding alone in the bush.

Makes you wonder how many other riders are still out there, somewhere.

While you sports bikers are howling along the Putty I'm normally riding my dual-sport along the Yengo Mountain track nearby.

Oh yeah..the Half-Way House on the Putty burnt down about two months ago also, so no petrol on the Putty now.

Hi guys

Im hoping to be over there this year..... ideally Perth, although have a possible sponsor in Sydney.

Currently have a pristine fzr1000ru but really want a newer R1 once im settled there.

I have been told that sportsbikes are a bit pointless with the speed limits but i'll take my chances :mask:

Be nice to have a few fellow biker mates!

Hi,

Wonder if yourself or any of your biker mates maybe able to help my devasted husband. He has a limited edition ducati 999r and a Harley fatboy with lots of sentimental value and has appeared in photo shoots and calendars. We have been making enquiries and it looks like we can only import 1 vehicle under the personal import scheme!! Are there any other ways around this to enable him to import both. he has owned them from new and i am unablle to tfr one in my name as I would have had to of owned it for 12mths prior to import.We don't mind paying any taxes or fees they are priceless to him!!

Hope someone can help!!

Nicki x

Guest Locksley
Hi,

Wonder if yourself or any of your biker mates maybe able to help my devasted husband. He has a limited edition ducati 999r and a Harley fatboy with lots of sentimental value and has appeared in photo shoots and calendars. We have been making enquiries and it looks like we can only import 1 vehicle under the personal import scheme!! Are there any other ways around this to enable him to import both. he has owned them from new and i am unablle to tfr one in my name as I would have had to of owned it for 12mths prior to import.We don't mind paying any taxes or fees they are priceless to him!!

Hope someone can help!!

Nicki x

Hi Nicki

This subject has been discussed endlessly on Aussie bike forums.

The Oz Government is anal when it comes to importing vehicles from overseas.

Although as one guy said recently; A lot of bikes are so expensive here compared to other countries that we'd all be buying them overseas if we could.

KTM has just instructed all overseas dealerships NOT to send parts to Oz in International orders. We all know we can buy most Jap and USA and Euro spare parts cheaper on the internet than at our local bike shop.

I wasn't aware that you could only bring in one vehicle.

The only thing I can suggest is that if you know someone else who will be moving to Oz in the next couple of years...register one of the bikes in their name, now and they bring it over with them when they arrive...and a month or so after they get here and complete the importation paperwork...they sell it to you guys.

It's sad when one has to suggest this kind of thing but what else can you do?

Nothing iilegal in that suggestion by the way...it's jusy using the rules to your advantage.

There are plenty of Duc's and Harley's here.

If the Harley is the more sentimental, bring that one.

I have heard that riders here have bought second hand pieces of crap, but that have been registered and then 'import' all the spare parts for it from another country in bits and pieces. So you have the frame number and an engine number on your Oz registered bike...you just replace the rest of the crap parts of the bike with the parts from your own bike back in the UK.

Unfortunatly that's how come a lot of bikes get stolen...they are broken down and sold for parts on Ebay etc. All you need when you register a bike in Oz is a legitimate frame and matching engine number. They could care less where the wheels, handlebars, tanks, side covers, etc etc come from.

You could buy a second hand Harley of your make and model here and just replace everything exept the frame and the part of the engine with the engine numbers on.

Again...nothing iilegal in that, as far as I am aware.

Lot of trouble to go to though, depends how much you love your original bike I guess.

Harley's are popular here, though we don't see them much on the roads we travel.

Secondary roads, even when tarred are often in frighful condition in the country.

But plenty of main roads for you to ride on and most of the tourist routes are in good condition.

Hi,

Hope someone can help!!

Nicki x

Can't you just take it (the harley) to pieces and bring it in as parts then re-build and re-register here? Given the choice itsd the 999 everytime its a proper work of art. (eye of the beholder)

I was just wondering if any of you guys or gals on the forum already in Oz or coming over soon were into bikes?

We like to get out into the countryside as often as we can, even if it's just a day ride.

There's a few nice country pubs we ride to for lunch on weekends when we're both free.

We try and get a weekend away in the Blue Mountains as often as we're able also.

We prefer the secondary tarred roads and dirt roads, but most places we go a road bike will not have any trouble.

Hi Kevin,

Reading your post brought me back those wonderful memories I have when I was in OZ, Melbourne, back in 2003. Every weekend used to jump on my GSXR 750 and head to some new place in the country. It was awesome and I really miss it!

But..!...I'm moving to Sydney this time (hopefully visa will be granted soon) and I'll be heading to Brighton-Le-Sands (to start with cause I have friends there). That's not far away from Sutherland Shire!

I have driven bikes all my life too (at the age of 10 used to steal my dads scooter :laugh:), drive to work everyday and cant imagine otherwise :wink: Currently I have a Honda Hornet 600 but when I'll arrive in Sydney have to buy a bike....have no idea what this time, but something comfortable for long distance, thats for sure.

I can't wait mate to start doing those amazing rides in OZ and explore every inch (i know its impossible!) I can :wink:

Cheers

B1K3R

Guest Locksley
Hi all. I have being in Sydney for 2 months now. I bought a 2007 r6 and looking for some fellow bikers. Do any of the you Sydney Bikers ever have a meet up!!!

If I had the choice I would bring the ducati 999r. I seen lots of Harleys I seen 1 Ducati and that was in a shop front!!

Tons of Duc's out and about up and down the south coast on a weekend.

There's a big Oz Ducati forum on the Net.

For general info and meets-ups with other riders of same bike types you can visit any of the many forums like:

2 Wheels • Index page

Netrider Forums - Powered by vBulletin

AusTouring.com - Powered by vBulletin

www.oroadsports.com :: Index

Australia - DucatiSpot - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

Ducati owners of Aus: Canberra District Ducati Club

Road Rider Magazine Australia - Touring Bikes Motorbikes Motorcycles Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Perth Adelaide Cruisers Motorbike Reviews Bike Helmets Bike Gear

Bikers Anon | Indulge your addiction

For riders over 40:

Ulysses Club ::

(If you're a paid up member of Ulysess you can get discounted insurance and Green slips through Monoland Insurance.)

For adventure riding and dual-sport:

Australia - ADVrider

Welcome to Off Road Explorer

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

For trail bike and dirt bike riders:

dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Freestyle riding:

HOME - FmxAustralia.Com

Classic:

Classic Motorcycling Australia - Home Page © 2000 - 2010

Trials riding:

Trials AUSTRALIA

That's plenty to be getting on with.

I normally only read ADVrider and Off Road Explorer, as these days I much prefer dual-sport riding to all tar riding.

Any questions about importing a bike to Oz are best asked on one of the bigger forums above. Plenty of guys there have done it and know all the ins and outs.

Guest fearfactory

Anyone know if there is noise restrictions on exhausts these days in Oz like in the UK? Last thing i want to do is have to remove the Termignoni System on my thing before I ship it over. Ducati's dont sound right without a set of carbon pipes :cool:

Guest Locksley
g,day mate hopefully get our visa soon ,off to brisbane, said first thing were gonna buy is a bike cant decide between a 6r or a ktm 650 what do ya reckon , or maybe both lmao . would happily go out for a blat if your up our way,simon

Hey Simon and Deb

For sure the KTM 650 if you really want to get out and about and see the 'real' Australia.

For the pillion I reckon the 990 KTM Adventure might be more practical.

Check the ADV and ORE adventure bike links I posted, that will whet you appetite for dirt road exploration.

On ADV recently guys are saying KTM has instructed their overseas dealers not to send stuff to Australia.

This is because we can buy it cheaper from the USA than over the counter from a KTM shop here. At a considerable saving.

Some KTM dealers overseas have already said they will no longer ship to an Oz address. KTM World front page: We can no longer ship to an overseas address, you must have a US address!

So..didn't take long for the lads to work out that you can use a forwarding agent like:

MyUS.com | U.S. Mail Forwarding, Worldwide Shipping

And:

ADDY.US

Guest Locksley
Anyone know if there is noise restrictions on exhausts these days in Oz like in the UK? Last thing i want to do is have to remove the Termignoni System on my thing before I ship it over. Ducati's dont sound right without a set of carbon pipes :cool:

Yes there are most definetly noise restrictions on decibell limits.

The number one complaint against bikes here is noise.

All a loud pipe does is attract undue attention from the police and the citizens.

Motorcycling is constantly under threat of more and more Government intervention here, even lifetime riders are saying we just don't need riders roaring around with excessivly loud pipes, it tars us all with the same brush.

The Harley riders don't seem to get stopped for loud pipes however, so it's up to you.

I should point out that motorcycling here is not seen as a legitimate form of transport.

Riders are second class citizens at best.

You will frequently hear Aussies refer to riders as Temporary Australians. Meaning you won't be around long because you ride a bike and will be involved in an accident.

Not true, but that's the attitude.

It's often said (this from riders who have ridden overseas) that Aussie car drivers may well be the worst drivers in any western lifestyle country.

I found drivers in the UK and the USA and Europe to be a lot better than Oz cagers.

The majority of Aussie drivers change lanes without doing a headcheck, and will indicate and change lanes at the same moment.

It's something you constantly have to be prepared for.

They have no idea how to use a roundabout and you must check at traffic lights before you cross on a green light because quite often some dick is running the red opposite you.

A lot of drivers don't stop behind the white line at intersections either, something that I understand is a bookable offence in the UK?

The only thing the Police normally stop drivers for is speeding, so don't think the police rigoriously enforce the road rules here, because they don't.

Guest Locksley
Hi guys

Im hoping to be over there this year..... ideally Perth, although have a possible sponsor in Sydney.

Currently have a pristine fzr1000ru but really want a newer R1 once im settled there.

I have been told that sportsbikes are a bit pointless with the speed limits but i'll take my chances :mask:

Be nice to have a few fellow biker mates!

Ah, Pozz

I think you might be struggling to find any roads around Perth with lots of curves and corners.

Most Perth riders I have met have all had dual-sports or big touring bikes.

The roads over there are long and straight from what I understand.

But...some beautiful outback countryside in WA..and (cough) Darwin and Broome are just up the road. :biggrin:

Probably best to log into one of the Oz bike forums and inquire about what sort of riding is available over there. I know Perth is full of Poms and Sarfer's (South Africans). My Mum and Sister lived in Kalaroo just outside the City, for many years.

Another mate used to be a motorcycle courier there. He said it was an easy job, as the city isn't that large and the suburbs are easy to negotiate.

Guest Locksley

Oh yeah

Here in Sydney I've never been done for lane splitting, but I know blokes who have been.

Depends on how you do it and what sort of mood the copper who sees you do it, is in.

Certainly local car drivers seem to hate bikers doing it. Why I have no idea.

You certainly won't see the kind of antics with bikes in traffic that are a daily occurence in cities like London and Paris.

Hi there,

I am currently living in Queanbeyan (very close to Canberra). I ride a VTR1000F at the moment. I try and get out and about as much as I can but a 18 month old normally holds me back doing it too much. I used to own an SV650 back in the UK, and I was so happy when it was written off with about a month to go until I left for a life down under.

Anyway now I love life with my firestorm. I live on the edge of the city and it takes me 2 minuets to be out in the countryside. I think some of the roads around Canberra are the best I have ever ridden on. I think if anyone comes to Canberra they will be very surprised with the roads.

Anyway I'd best get ready for the world cup.

Bye

Guest Locksley
Hi Kevin,

Reading your post brought me back those wonderful memories I have when I was in OZ, Melbourne, back in 2003. Every weekend used to jump on my GSXR 750 and head to some new place in the country. It was awesome and I really miss it!

But..!...I'm moving to Sydney this time (hopefully visa will be granted soon) and I'll be heading to Brighton-Le-Sands (to start with cause I have friends there). That's not far away from Sutherland Shire!

I have driven bikes all my life too (at the age of 10 used to steal my dads scooter :laugh:), drive to work everyday and cant imagine otherwise :wink: Currently I have a Honda Hornet 600 but when I'll arrive in Sydney have to buy a bike....have no idea what this time, but something comfortable for long distance, thats for sure.

I can't wait mate to start doing those amazing rides in OZ and explore every inch (i know its impossible!) I can :wink:

Cheers

B1K3R

Hey mate

Brighton is a five minute motobike ride for me.

We also ride our bicycles along the beachfront there often. Bicycle track goes on for miles. Don't need to ride on the road at all.

Enjoy sunday breakfast in one of the cafes.

Plenty of motobike models to choose from here. Used and new.

Give us a post or a PM when you get here.

Guest Locksley
Hi there,

I am currently living in Queanbeyan (very close to Canberra). I ride a VTR1000F at the moment. I try and get out and about as much as I can but a 18 month old normally holds me back doing it too much. I used to own an SV650 back in the UK, and I was so happy when it was written off with about a month to go until I left for a life down under.

Anyway now I love life with my firestorm. I live on the edge of the city and it takes me 2 minuets to be out in the countryside. I think some of the roads around Canberra are the best I have ever ridden on. I think if anyone comes to Canberra they will be very surprised with the roads.

Bye

Oh yeah

Canberra's got some great roads, and it's the gateway to the Snowy Mountains and in the summer months there's no better riding in Oz than down the Snowy.

Endless tarred roads of sweepers and curves and great vistas.

Bit cool down that way right now...but I'm doing a 4 day adventure ride in the next couple of months. Captains Flat and then south on the back roads to the Vic border, then turn toward the coast and back up via Deua Nat Park and Araluen.

Promises to quite, ah brisk.

I probably won't camp, overnight in a cabin park or a cheap motel.

Why go down the Snowy in the winter you ask? I ask myself the same question, but in winter the back roads (most of the roads) are deserted and the scenery is stark and bleak. It's a cold but unique experience.

Check out the road that runs from Canberra south through Shannon's Flat down to Cooma in warmer weather. Great scenery and okay for any bike if you take your time.

The Brindabella ranges are wonderful for anyone with a dirt tourer.

From Canberra you can now take a quick way to the coast via Nerriga.

The Nerriga road used to be all dirt but most of it is tarred now. It will all be tarred in the near future.

There's a local motobike forum down your way called Canberra Riders I think.

Guest fearfactory
Yes there are most definetly noise restrictions on decibell limits.

The number one complaint against bikes here is noise.

All a loud pipe does is attract undue attention from the police and the citizens.

Motorcycling is constantly under threat of more and more Government intervention here, even lifetime riders are saying we just don't need riders roaring around with excessivly loud pipes, it tars us all with the same brush.

The Harley riders don't seem to get stopped for loud pipes however, so it's up to you.

I should point out that motorcycling here is not seen as a legitimate form of transport.

Riders are second class citizens at best.

You will frequently hear Aussies refer to riders as Temporary Australians. Meaning you won't be around long because you ride a bike and will be involved in an accident.

Not true, but that's the attitude.

It's often said (this from riders who have ridden overseas) that Aussie car drivers may well be the worst drivers in any western lifestyle country.

I found drivers in the UK and the USA and Europe to be a lot better than Oz cagers.

The majority of Aussie drivers change lanes without doing a headcheck, and will indicate and change lanes at the same moment.

It's something you constantly have to be prepared for.

They have no idea how to use a roundabout and you must check at traffic lights before you cross on a green light because quite often some dick is running the red opposite you.

A lot of drivers don't stop behind the white line at intersections either, something that I understand is a bookable offence in the UK?

The only thing the Police normally stop drivers for is speeding, so don't think the police rigoriously enforce the road rules here, because they don't.

Hmmmm the noise restriction is a 'grey' area here in ireland however depends how you ride. If your red lining the thing in every gear with a set of Scorpion Carbon Stubbys on a V-Twin well then, im sure its very annoying and can somewhat frighten other road users when you pass by them at 300kmph on a highway :) I should know, my mate has an SP1 with that system and its bloody deafening........but sounds beautiful hahaha. Bikers in Ireland state the fact 'the louder the can, the more aware people are aware of you on the road'. in saying that, if a cop is anywhere near you, ye just let off the gas a little and keep it low gears.

Most 'cage' (car) drivers here and in fact anywhere i think, dont give a toss about a biker and dont acknowledge that we have as much right to be on the road as someone driving on four wheels or more. So i can understand where you come from when they say 'temporary australians', we're referred to as 'organ-doners', but in fairness who gives a toss. If you drive sensibly and be as aware as possible of road users around you etc, then you have little to worry about. We all like to have a bit of fun on your bikes but there is a time and certainly, a place for letting it out. The bigger the bike, the more respect you have for it IMO. You know there is so much power available to you that if you act the maggot your instant mash!

Hey mate

Brighton is a five minute motobike ride for me. We also ride our bicycles along the beachfront there often. Bicycle track goes on for miles. Don't need to ride on the road at all.

Enjoy sunday breakfast in one of the cafes.

Plenty of motobike models to choose from here. Used and new.

Give us a post or a PM when you get here.

That's sounds great mate :wink: I'm already imagining myself sipping a coffee in one of those cafes!

I heard someone saying to avoid private buys, like from ebay, bikesales etc...and to go for a dealer since the latter will give peace of mind....well I guess more expensive too! Well, I wont have a mechanic friend checking the bike....so what do you think?

Will surely pm mate! Thanks!

Cheers

B1k3R

Hi there,

Bye

WA is straight and boring if theres a bennd its got the killer steel grit

Are track days popular there? Seems that might be the better option for an adrenaline rush........ no coppers or cars!

In the uk you can have a road legal track bike, it just needs number plates and not much else. Can you have a similar road legal bike in Oz?

Guest Locksley
That's sounds great mate :wink: I'm already imagining myself sipping a coffee in one of those cafes!

I heard someone saying to avoid private buys, like from ebay, bikesales etc...and to go for a dealer since the latter will give peace of mind....well I guess more expensive too! Well, I wont have a mechanic friend checking the bike....so what do you think?

Will surely pm mate! Thanks!

Cheers

B1k3R

The dealer mark up on used bikes is ridiculous. Won't take you long to work that out when you check the prices at places like:

Used Motorcycle For Sale - Buy and Sell Motorcycles Australia - bikesales.com.au

Used Motorbike For Sale - Buy and Sell Motorbikes Australia - bikepoint.com.au

Trading Post - Online and Mobile Classifieds

A lot of private sellers see how much their bike costs used in a bike shop and try to sell it for the same amount.

You can normally always knock $500 bucks of the asking price from a private seller, in fact the seller has taken that into account before he even put the ad in the paper.

I'll always buy private myself.

Don't get me started on dealers and bike shop staff.

I know a few who are great...if they know you. All small shops.

It's more important to find a good mechanic...he's the guy you will really be relying on in the future.

Archived