Motorcycling in Oz

Guest Locksley

Guest Locksley
Are track days popular there? Seems that might be the better option for an adrenaline rush........ no coppers or cars!

In the uk you can have a road legal track bike, it just needs number plates and not much else. Can you have a similar road legal bike in Oz?

There are track days in Syd and Melbourne.

Guess they have them in the other big cities.

A road worthy bike here needs lights and indicators, horn and numberplate and current registration. Slicks are not considered roadworthy tires.

Guest Locksley

Just a thought Pozz

Mate of mine has a KTM super-motard.

He commutes to work on it.

Uses it for track days.

Comes dirt road touring with us. The only thing that normally slows him down is mud when it's been raining.

Told me he was sick of paying big bucks to replace the plastic on his sports bikes when he used his CBR 600 for track days and had a slide out.

I understand you have to buy special insurance for track days, as the normal insurer won't pay out for damage caused by racing/track days.

The dealer mark up on used bikes is ridiculous. Won't take you long to work that out when you check the prices at places like:

Used Motorcycle For Sale - Buy and Sell Motorcycles Australia - bikesales.com.au

Used Motorbike For Sale - Buy and Sell Motorbikes Australia - bikepoint.com.au

Trading Post - Online and Mobile Classifieds

A lot of private sellers see how much their bike costs used in a bike shop and try to sell it for the same amount.

You can normally always knock $500 bucks of the asking price from a private seller, in fact the seller has taken that into account before he even put the ad in the paper.

I'll always buy private myself.

Don't get me started on dealers and bike shop staff.

I know a few who are great...if they know you. All small shops.

It's more important to find a good mechanic...he's the guy you will really be relying on in the future.

Thanks for your feedback mate. I feel the same too :wink: Checked tradepost and there are some good deals too. When I was in Melbourne in 2000, I bought the GSXR from a private seller and didnt have a problem.

So what bike do you own?

Cheers

B1K3R

Guest Locksley
Thanks for your feedback mate. I feel the same too :wink: Checked tradepost and there are some good deals too. When I was in Melbourne in 2000, I bought the GSXR from a private seller and didnt have a problem.

So what bike do you own?

Cheers

B1K3R

Got a BMW 650 at the moment. Considering a KLR 650, mainly because brand new the KLR is $8500 on the road with all the extras, that's a great price.

The advantage of the KLR 650 is that it has a big petrol tank, and when you're out in the country gas stations can be few and far between.

The BMW 800 dual-sport is appealing but a bit too expensive for us. Plus at the end of the day it won't do anything the KLR 650 won't do.

There's a lot of riders here with dual-sports, unlike the UK we have plenty of wild countryside to go exploring in. For me biking is about country touring and camping and finding the road less travelled.

The BMW GS 1100/1200 are very popular but I just find them too big and heavy for me.

Amazing how many riders bought into the big BMW GS clique when those Long Way Round movies came out. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest errol flynn
I'll make this my introduction as well as my obvious passion.

I came out with me mum when I was a kid and have lived in the Sutherland Shire most of my life. (That's south of Sydney.) I'm a lifelong motorcyclist, owned a ton of bikes and still love two wheels. Haven't owned a car for most of my life, despite what the Aussies say it's never cold enough here not to ride (unless you're living at Thredbo in the Snowy Mountains):biggrin:

I've ridden more than a million kilometers here and know most of the good bike roads, both tarmac and dirt.

The wife and I have currently have a couple of small dual-sports and try and get away camping on the bikes every couple of months.

I was just wondering if any of you guys or gals on the forum already in Oz or coming over soon were into bikes?

We like to get out into the countryside as often as we can, even if it's just a day ride.

There's a few nice country pubs we ride to for lunch on weekends when we're both free.

We try and get a weekend away in the Blue Mountains as often as we're able also.

We prefer the secondary tarred roads and dirt roads, but most places we go a road bike will not have any trouble.

Being as we're Sydney based I was just wondering if anyone might care to meet up at some future date for a ride/lunch, scenic trip?

The advantage of having lived here for so long is that we know all the good places for new riders to explore. And we enjoy showing people places they wouldn't have otherwise discovered. (Or not for a long time anyway.)

Cheers: Kevin.

Hi Kevin

We're on our way, OH and myself, and will be landing in Canberra mid-next week. I've just sold an Aprilia Mille, a CCM404E and a DRZ400 belonging to OH to start some off-road riding when she passed her test. She hasn't passed yet but will be doing so once we're settled in Oz.

It would be fabulous to meet up with an old hand with a lot of local(ish) knowledge once I have acquired a bike. Was thinking of something like a KTM690e or maybe the bigger Adventure for dual-sporting as I've had my fair share of points on the Aprilia!! It would be good to get to know a few like-minded people in the general area too.

I'd be up for a ride or two! :biggrin:

Cheers

Martin.

Guest Locksley

G'day Martin

I'll send you a PM.

Heaps of great riding around Canberra.

The Brindabella's are awesome, even in the winter...probably seem a cold summer for you guys. LOL.

Archived