Arriving in Perth July anyone fancy meeting up?

Guest chrisandemma

Guest chrisandemma

Hi to all who are moving to or in Perth!

Me and my husband (both 29) are emigrating July 30th- not long now and very excited! We live in Gateshead but I’m originally from North Wales and my husband is from Banbury. We are really keen to meet up with like-minded people. It would be lovely to meet anyone who enjoys keeping fit, enjoys a coffee or a glass of wine, walks along the beach, bbq's, anything really! My husband is a keen climber and mountain biker- he’s added a few threads on his interests!

We are starting off in Joondalup and hope to find a long term rental wherever we get our first job. I am a secondary french teacher, my husband works in marketing. If anyone can give some advice on relief/supply teaching work and who to contact that would be great!

Looking forward to meeting whoever is interested soon!

Can’t wait!

Emma

Hi Emma

I can give you a bit of advice on the whole teaching thing over here, you need to register with WACOT to work in any school, and if you plan to work in a state school you need to register with the Department of Education. If you haven't already I would start these now as it took forever to get things sorted! As far as getting relief work you need to get in touch with individual schools yourself. You can register with Class Professionals, an agency for relief work, if you're interested in long term work also check out Smart Teachers. I've been lucky, after 2 weeks of relief work I've ended up with permanent relief work in the same school so I know where I'm going everyday!

PS How's life in the North East? I'm from Newcastle, I worked in Wallsend for a few years and Consett for a while.

If you've got any questions just ask!

Cheryl

Guest chrisandemma

Hi Cheryl,

thanks for that, i'll contact class professionals. I've applied to register with Wacot and will make sure I do the same for Dept of Education! Well, the north east is fine! Unpredictable weather though! Too much rain at the moment! We used to live in Shotley Bridge before Gateshead. That's good that you've managed to get permenant relief work, it's a load off your mind when you've got money coming in isn't it! What subject do you teach?

So how long have you been in Perth? Are you enjoying it ?Whereabouts are you based? Lots of questions sorry!

Emma X

Guest bubblerrovers

Hi Chris and Emma

Me and my girlfriend live in padbury which is not far from you. I'm English and she's from Oz, I only moved here in March to be with her so I'm pretty new. Always keen to meet up with new people so get in touch when you land. First thing I did when arrived was by a bike so always keen to go for a spin.

Good luck with the move

Jamie

Guest chrisandemma

Hi Jamie,

We'll give you a shout when we arrive, chris will be glad to hear that you have a bike!

Emma

Hi Emma

Massive apologies for the delayed response! It's the end of Semester 1 and I've been writing reports for classes I've never met, the usual you know!

I've been in Perth since Nov 2008, I came on a WHV but have fallen in love with the place and haven't managed to leave. I'm still trying to sort out my visa, but will stay no matter what! I'm a History Teacher, but currently find myself teaching English, maths and Health, I think you have to be quite flexible when you first get her but once in school, you knoe how it works!

I'm based in South Perth, I find it easy for heading South or North and it's near the city and the river which I love, I tried living in the suburbs (Leeming) but hated being away from friends and the taxi fare was a pain!

Would be great to meet up with some fellow north-easterners when you get here! Have you decided where to base yourself? There are lots of English people in the Joondalup area and even south like Rockingham and Mandurah. If I were you, base yourself near the city and venture out to these places and decide where you are better suuted. If you are coming July/August think about the season also!

Guest chrisandemma

Hi Cheryl,

Reports are a pain aren't they doing them myself at the moment! Thanks for the advice on living in the city, we may well give it a go as we are city people. For the first month though we have paid for an appartment in joondalup but are flexible to move around after that, and we certainly want to choose the best place before our furniture arrives!

I'll contact you soon after we arrive for a coffee

Emma X

Archived