Maternity leave

Smiler

Hi

I just wanted to look ahead for the future as my hubby and I are planning for a baby. I am on the temp spouse visa (2 years on this visa will be Oct 2011) and am working for a company that has maternity leave.

Does anyone know if I am entitled to maternity leave if I am still on the temp spouse visa?

Thanks

Smiler:biggrin:

Guest soon2move

I cant say exactly for the Australian law side of things but I know in the UK you would be 'entitled' to the time off but not necessarily entitled to the state benefits. You may need to have PR to claim here. Sorry can't really help but hope you find out the answer.

Hi

I just wanted to look ahead for the future as my hubby and I are planning for a baby. I am on the temp spouse visa (2 years on this visa will be Oct 2011) and am working for a company that has maternity leave.

Does anyone know if I am entitled to maternity leave if I am still on the temp spouse visa?

Thanks

I don't think being entitled to maternity leave or not is anything to do with your visa status. It depends upon what your employment contract states.

If you are talking about entitlement to state benefits then that is a different matter, visa status could well come into that.

Which is it you mean?

Hi

Thanks

Hi Smiler

My daughter is in Sydney and her baby is due 12th July.

She is having to work right up to 3rd July so that she will have been working for her company for three years. Seems this is the minimum before they pay out maternity pay, and then its only two months salary!

She works for a big multi national company, but I am not impressed with the way prospective mums are treated by them. Don't know if the maternity pay is just them, or if this an Aussie rule?

Sorry, not exactly answering your query, but adding food for thought maybe?

Good luck,Pam

Maternity leave is a hot potato in Australia. There isnt a national maternity scheme (yet) and it is very employer dependent - if you are a public servant then you get a far better outcome than if you work in the private sector for example. Most maternity provisions require you to have been working for the employer for at least 12 months before you access them. Also to bear in mind, if you intend on having private medical cover, you will need to have had that for 12 months before the birth as well. Baby bonus and family tax benefits are means tested so whether you get them or not will depend on your family income.

If the maternity leave is a company benefit then you are entitled to it as long as your company is happy to give it to you! :cool: There would only be a possible problem if you were receiving money from a government benefit. Australia's paid maternity leave scheme, which will be publicly funded, takes effect in 2011 - but as long as your company continues to cover the cost of maternity leave as a benefit to its employees at that time then you should be sweet.

Thanks to all of you for your info. My work does have maternity leave so hopefully I should be entitled to it if we are lucky enough to become pregnant:emoticon_doctor_snalol.

I have been working there for about 8 months now so if all goes well then I will be way beyond the 12 months for working for the company.

Thanks again, appreciate it

Archived