Arriving in Perth in August - Info Needed

Guest throwerp

Guest throwerp

Hi Everyone,

I'm arriving in Perth on 4th August for two as I've been invited by my new company to take a look around, familiarise myself with the area and just get a general feel for the city.

Me and my partner will be moving out here for good later on in the year but in my little recce mission I want to find out about the different types of suburbs as I want to rent in a place that has plenty of amenities and has good transport links, plus maybe close to the beach

So, can anyone shed any light on whats the best suburbs to live in for a lively, sociable, sport fanatical young couple. Or maybe even meet up for a coffee (or beer!) to discuss these areas with me I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Phil

Well there is North and South of the river so you would need to decide which side you will be wanting to live on, i suppose it would depend on the job you are talking about.

There are nice suburbs on both sides and close to the beach so let us know which side :biggrin:

Guest throwerp

Hi Deb8181,

My new company is based in Mount Hawthorn on Scarborough Beach Road, so it's north side of the river.

Sorry, I guess I should have said in my original post! D'Oh!!

:err:

Hi Deb8181,

My new company is based in Mount Hawthorn on Scarborough Beach Road, so it's north side of the river.

Sorry, I guess I should have said in my original post! D'Oh!!

:err:

From my experience it is more expensive up north but the nice suburbs are Mindarie, Joondalup, Hillarys, which are all not to far from Scarborough but if you go further north the locals call it little britain, areas like Butler and Quinns Rock which i have found are more affordable. Mindarie is my favourite but we are living down South and have now got jobs down here so looks like we are staying south unless we changed jobs, schools etc. If you want any more info let me know. I have only been here 4 months but loving it :jiggy:

A lot of Perth is dull as dishwater suburbia - and this is from someone who loves it but I'm a 40+ mum!

I'd suggest Fremantle prob South Freo is best though the area around George Street in East Freo is nice too or Subiaco both have a vibrant cafe/bar culture and lots of interesting shops and markets. If watersport is your thing then Scarborough or Trigg. Hillary's NOR is another place with a bit of life, although parents now I've friends who moved there as a young couple about 10 years ago, love windsurfing etc and are very happy.

From my experience it is more expensive up north but the nice suburbs are Mindarie, Joondalup, Hillarys, which are all not to far from Scarborough but if you go further north the locals call it little britain, areas like Butler and Quinns Rock which i have found are more affordable. Mindarie is my favourite but we are living down South and have now got jobs down here so looks like we are staying south unless we changed jobs, schools etc. If you want any more info let me know. I have only been here 4 months but loving it :jiggy:

Wrong more australians in Butler and quinns brits , Mindarie is overpriced 500k for an old 4x2 next to marmion ave , Hillarys is the same 1million on the water ext to the marmion lots of dosh for old houses , joondalup is apartments and units , Conolly is the cheaper side of the marmion iluka and beaumaris being oceanside.Comparing nor to sor with price is daft northern burbs are on a par with the SOR. Its the individual burgs and their prospective costs , Cotteloe ,Peppermint grove and dalkeith are nice but dont expect much change from 5 to 15 million

Wrong more australians in Butler and quinns brits , Mindarie is overpriced 500k for an old 4x2 next to marmion ave , Hillarys is the same 1million on the water ext to the marmion lots of dosh for old houses , joondalup is apartments and units , Conolly is the cheaper side of the marmion iluka and beaumaris being oceanside.Comparing nor to sor with price is daft northern burbs are on a par with the SOR. Its the individual burgs and their prospective costs , Cotteloe ,Peppermint grove and dalkeith are nice but dont expect much change from 5 to 15 million

You do get more for your money down south than up north. I know i have researched this!!

cottesloe would be a good choice if you were renting and could find some where your by the best beach . great walks lovely eating places and cafe scene plus its central to alot of things , hillarys is great to visit i had friends who lived close and they found it a night mare with drunks late at night comming from hillarys marina,

Hi, I think it all comes down to budget. Nice places for couples with a young and vibrant atmosphere are, in my opinion, Subiaco, Leederville, Mt Lawley, in and around the city there are pockets of nice places. East Perth there are nice apartments and restaurants too. Wembley is nice too. Closer to Scarborough Beach road there is Scarborough itself, bit of a backpackers area and bitty but the surf is good. Cottesloe is great, Innaloo (shops, cinemas etc and 5 or 10 mins to the beach) Doubleview is quite cheap and the beach side of Scarb beach road ... If you can afford it, Floreat, City Beach, Wembley Downs areas are gorgeous. Trigg and North Beach are nice too. I would suggest if you are young and into having a good social life probably best not to go too far north of Trigg. Good luck.

Archived