Renting in Melbourne

blobby1000

Help!

We are moving to Melbourne in November and I have a job in Royal Melbourne Hospital. Is it possible to secure accommodation from the UK for a period of about six months (we also have a dog, which I understand we have to pretent we are going to keep outside!)

Is it plausible to just find a property online, pay for it and move in on arrival? I did hear you have to apply for a house and beat other applicants and the dog needs a reference! Sounds pretty full on!

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Rob, Cheltenham, UK

Guest Mark X

Hi Rob,

Its possible but it is a competitive market, a standard lease is 6 months and there are some furnished properties available - your issue is getting someone to rent it to you while you're overseas still. Real estate agents/property managers are strict about references etc.

Finding a private landlord might be an option, if you would trust sending them money. I'd look on gumtree in melbourne, the main renting websites are realestate.com.au and domain.com.au

Good luck with the search

Cheers

Mark

Xpnsit.com.au

The market is so tight at the moment, that rental properties have 5-10 people/families lining up for inspections at the moment, so why would a real estate agent mess about with somebody not even in the country. (not meaning to sound nasty :biggrin:)

I have read so many posts from other migrants who have tried the same thing, and they never even get an answer back from real estate agents.

Book a furnished rental for 3-4 weeks. It will give you time to look at rentals, and more importantly check out various areas without jumping into something too quickly.

Also, if you are shipping furnishings over, it will probably be mid ocean when you are sat in an empty rental if you find something too quickly on arrival :wink:

Mark X mentioned 6 month leases, but 12 month leases are the more common leases. Having a dog can be a problem in some cases, but wont be a major hinderance (we have had a number or families stay with cats & dogs & they found and moved into rentals in most cases within 3-4 weeks of arrival)

As Furkew (classy name :-/ ) says, 12 month leases are the norm. Six month leases are very difficult to get in a competitive market and you'll probably have to offer more money to get one. It will be impossible to get a lease arranged from the UK; agents will require you to have seen the property in person or, at the very least, have someone who has seen it on your behalf - and they will take some convincing for that. In a competitive market, you will be at a disadvantage if you don't have a job. A landlord can pick and choose and won't go for anyone who looks anything less than a dead cert for paying the rent. You will also want to know that a 12 month lease is what it says; you cannot leave early unless you pay for readvertising and the shortfall in any rent, but also you can't be kicked out early.

Be aware that furnished rental is almost unheard of and even basics like fridges and washing machines have to be bought. Only the cooker will come with the property.

The best bet would be a caravan let week by week for the first instance.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Rob

You have had some good replies to your OP and unfortunately they are correct. Real estate agents will NOT entertain you until you arrive and even when you do it is a case of you chasing them every 5 seconds. They will open the house for a viewing only when they want, this is usually once a week and for 10-15 minutes only, during this time everyone else who is interested will also be having a look around. As the vacancy rate is still low in Melbourne agents and landlords can afford to be fussy.

Rentals here are usually 12 months although there are a couple in the CBD who may do 6 months. 99% of rentals are unfurnished, so you will need to start buying furniture, places like Fantastic Furniture do house packages for around $2000 but you would still need to buy white goods etc.

I keep reading how difficult it is to rent - I think this must worry some people, it is not this way all over Melbourne.

When we were looking we had 2 Agents which were more than happy to meet us at the houses at a time that suited us. With another Agent you paid them $100 dollars deposit for the keys and you had an hour to return them and get your money back. You could go and look at the house by yourself. These were all new unoccupied properties. We came away with 3 sets of keys as the houses we looked at were in the same estate.

Also we got a 6 month lease no problem as also I dont think the agent wanted to commit to a 12 month lease till they found out we were good tenants. We had no references or jobs, we did pay 3 months upfront, but that means no more rent expense for a while.

I keep reading how difficult it is to rent - I think this must worry some people, it is not this way all over Melbourne.

I have to agree with alot of what has been said. We arrived in May this year with no confirmed jobs - initially staying at in laws - we did have proof of savings, recent references and a job offer. It only took 2 weeks and we got offered 2 of the 5 places we applied for. However it's taken a couple we know (australian) over 2 months because they had very specific requirements - pet friendly and a decent sized shed.

Best of Luck!

These were all new unoccupied properties. We came away with 3 sets of keys as the houses we looked at were in the same estate.

That's quite an unusual circumstance

Also we got a 6 month lease no problem as also I dont think the agent wanted to commit to a 12 month lease till they found out we were good tenants.

More likely is that the agent wanted to have an option to sell after 6 months when the estate was finished and fully populated (hence the prices would be higher).

We had no references or jobs, we did pay 3 months upfront, but that means no more rent expense for a while.

Good for you. I presume your rent is more than $350 per week because otherwise the payment of rent up front was illegal.

It only took 2 weeks and we got offered 2 of the 5 places we applied for.

The thing is, you're either a strong applicant and you'll be offered most of what you look at, or you're not a strong applicant and you'll have almost all your offers knocked back.

Thanks for all these very helpful responses. Incidently we do have a great big hairy golden retreiver (who will be in quarentine when we are looking round) is it really difficult to get a pet friendly house? We are hoping to live out of the city so perhaps this makes it easier????

Thanks for all these very helpful responses. Incidently we do have a great big hairy golden retreiver (who will be in quarentine when we are looking round) is it really difficult to get a pet friendly house? We are hoping to live out of the city so perhaps this makes it easier????

We have had a number of families recently in our unit with both cats & dogs or both, and none of them seem to have had any problems finding rentals. They were all able to get rantals in Frankston, Emerald, Tecoma & Mornington.

If you are looking outside the city, and a bit more rural, you shouldnt have any problems at all. They are generally larger blocks, and most people have dogs themselves anyway.

Archived