Spouse visa question

swifty99

I know this quetion has probably been asked a thousand time but i just wanted to clarify it.

We are currently in the process of completing our spouse visa for my husband as i gained citizenship by descent.

If we take all the original copies of birth, marriage certifcates and passports down do we not need to get copies of them certified as Australia house take their own copies of the originals????

And also do we need to get family and friends statutory declarations certified?

Thanks

You need to get proper certified copies of your official documents. Not sure why you want to go down to Australia House rather than post your application? I say this as you won't be able to do anything more than hand your file in. If you make a personal visit - no one will review it on the spot or take copies of other documents.

As for the stat decs, it really depends on whether or not they're part of your main evidence? If you have plenty of strong evidence (joint mortgage, children, wills, joint accounts, insurance etc) going back more than a few years I wouldn't bother. If you have only been together 12 months and you need the stat decs to evidence the relationship I'd get them cert copied.

Best of luck :o)

As I say, it really depends on what other evidence you're intending to present? (being married and having a child aren't enough evidence by themselves).

In that case I wouldn't bother - I didn't for any of mine and it wasn't a problem. Try and find a piece of evidence for each year you have been together (council tax is also a good one).

Guest yugoj

Just a note on taking your documents to Australia house. We had a big folder full of stuff (put into a box because they don't like folders, dividers, plastic folders etc). As my OH works and lives in London, near Australia House, he took it there in person - mainly to save in postage.

He was told at the reception that they don't accept parcels from anyone other than an official courrier or postman. The reason for this is security - parcels sent by courrier and post are screened before being delivered. What he had in his hand could have effectively been a bomb or something.

So he had to walk across the road (literally!) to the post office and send it to Australia House by post (for a cost of £12).

So if you're planning a trip to Australia House to hand in your application and it's not in a small envelope then I would advise against it as you'll just get your parcel turned away.

Just another question sorry,

i am aware that we need to get the birth, marriage certificates certified and also the passports, but with regards to the financial evidence like bank statements, bills, loans insurance etc for the nature of household requirements it doesn't say anywhere in the information book that thesesneed to be certified so is it ok to send photo copies of the originals or do the orginals need to be sent?

On my agents advice we got certified copies of a sample of the bills. I refused to get them all done (especially the ones I printed off online!)

Archived