Gay cities Australia

Guest ducati

Guest ducati

Hey there,

I'm new to this forum and although not a pommy, I took the liberty to register as it's by far the busiest and best one I have seen so far regarding moving to Oz.

My partner and I are looking into moving to Australia in the near future. Job-wise we wouldn't be tied down to a certain place but could basically choose were we want to live.

It shouldn't be too hot but close to the ocean so we are looking at going to Perth, Melbourne, Adelaide or Sydney. Not aiming at living directly in the city but more in the suburbs. Anyway...I'm trying to find out how gay-friendly these cities are. I am so arrogant to assume that we wouldn't have a problem in any big city regarding homophobia. Is that correct? Furthermore I'm interested if there is a nice gay community. I found very nice things online about Perth (gay tennis club etc.) but read that Melbourne's gay community is very lame. I'm not so much interested in nightlife but places to make friends as my partner is away at sea half the year. Mind you I'm not interested to only make gay friends but it is a factor to be considered and as we might want to have children in the future, I don't want to live in a place where they'd have a hard time having two moms.

Anyone willing to share their knowledge and/or experience?

Hi Ducati and welcome to PIO

I'd say Sydney would be the gay capital only saying by the gay mardi gras it holds ever year and the fact that around Kings Cross seems to be an area that gay people congregate.

St Kilda in Melbourne seems to be a becon as well

I'm happy to be proved wrong

All the best and enjoy PIO

Geoffrey

hi Ducati,

I think you will find that within the big Aussie cities, there are areas that are more lively, arty, cultural and so on. These areas also tend to be very gay friendly. Specific gay areas are probably less common these days - ghettos as such are less common, which I think is a good thing as it means gay people are much more integrated than in the past.

e.g. Oxford St and Newtown in Sydney used to be particular ghetto areas, but these days they are just inner city "trendy" places, gay friendly and all.

Unless you are in the outback areas, most Aussies take people as they come - gay or not, no dramas.

regards sg

Hi, myself and my partner have three children and are looking to go to australia so very interested in your post! We are both women and it is hard to find out what is going on for lesbian mums over there. I used to live in sydney and it had a great scene for women but of course it's different now,Apparently there are some good social groups as well as lesbian mum's groups. We are going for a look around next year so will let you know!

Guest brooksey

My wifes cousin and her girlfriend stopped with us for a few days whilst having a 6 months tour of Australia. They stayed everywhere you can imagine and had no problems anywhere. Sydney has the Gay Mardi Gras every year but i don't know Sydney suburbs.

Guest ducati

Thank you all for your very positive replies! So according to those we could basically live anywhere. That's great to know but does not make our decision easier! :laugh: But can't complain about too much choice, can I?

judyq yes, let me know please! I think we are looking for similar surroundings (unless if you want to live directly in the city) so we can share information. I have little to contribute so far but will give my best to find out more. :smile:

Our planning is in the very early stages though (studies need to be round up, house to be renovated and sold/or rented out, OH's job offer needs to be checked) many more things to to but I'm excited and want to get as much info as possible especially considering that I haven't been to Oz!

we are looking into brisbane area and sydney area . will depend where my other half can get a job. We are not keen to live in the city but need to get a feel for it i guess. any advice greatly appreciated !

Guest Koala123
Thank you all for your very positive replies! So according to those we could basically live anywhere. That's great to know but does not make our decision easier! :laugh: But can't complain about too much choice, can I?

judyq yes, let me know please! I think we are looking for similar surroundings (unless if you want to live directly in the city) so we can share information. I have little to contribute so far but will give my best to find out more. :smile:

Our planning is in the very early stages though (studies need to be round up, house to be renovated and sold/or rented out, OH's job offer needs to be checked) many more things to to but I'm excited and want to get as much info as possible especially considering that I haven't been to Oz!

Hi Ducati

Can't give you any advice on where to live but welcome to PIO. Firstly I am mum and also gay and like you I have been doing some research on best places to live. Most "gay friendly" areas are normally near city centres and not where I would want to live. I've had some great feedback from members on PIO which has left me feeling really positive about moving toOz - although not for a few years yet

:hug:

Hey,

I'm gay and live with my partner here in Sydney. Been here 3 months and have made some great straight friends. No issues wharsoever. There some really cool gay areas too, check out Oxford Street and Newtown areas.

It's not too hot, beautiful and friendly. You'll be fine. PM me if you want advice or want to meet if you choose to move here.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Archived