Expenses!

blobby1000

Guest The Pom Queen

If you are renting you won't have to pay council tax, or water rates. We don't have a TV License, gas/electric will depend on how large your house is etc, we pay approx $900 per quarter for both.

Guest woolleys

Hi there,

I'm moving out to Australia with my girlfriend and are very excited, and I'm just starting to do budgets. I know this is a big ask but does anyone have an idea about overall living costs before taking disposable income into account so I know what I need to earn?

Thanks for your help if you post a reply...

Guest markone

Hi Bobby1000,

It will depend on where in Aus you are going to live, we have a two bed appartment in Sydney, and we pay approx $4,300 per year for council rates, water rates and strata levies.

Not sure about gas and electric, but they are a great deal lower than the UK.

I hope this helps !!

Petrol is 125c a litre, if you go on the woolworths or coles website for Australia you can look at food shopping, overall I think its similar to the UK. I don't know where you are going but rent seems to be around the $300 mark for a 2/3 bedroom house. Beer seems expensive in pubs!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mark X

I've found it really depends on where you are living, for example Sydney is probably pretty similar to London and housing is very expensive, but out in the regional areas the cost of living is significantly reduced although the employment opportunities are also alot more limited (bit different to the UK's regional cities).

Archived