Offer for a permanent job withdrawn because I have a provisional spouse visa not PR

Happy Lass

I've been looking for work in my local area for some months now. Vacancies in my line of work are few and far between where I live so I have widened my search to include anything local that I think I might get. I always send a cover letter written especially for that vacancy; I check my resume regularly to see if I can find anything else to improve but it's been... quiet.

Until last week I have only received responses to jobs that match my skills but I don't receive responses to those that don't. Fair enough but with so few jobs to match, I don't hear a lot from anyone! Last week I received that long-awaited magic phone call with an offer for a job in the CBD. Great! :smile: Not my dream job but but it was a job so I gladly accepted. In the next breath I was asked whether I was an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident. I am neither of those so the offer was withdrawn with the explanation that they can only give permanent jobs to permanent residents or citizens. :cry:

I explained that my visa has no restrictions but she said that the rule was not to be broken so we simply agreed that they would contact me again if a short-term contract or casual work became available.

Is this a hard rule set by every employer or is this a requirement of just some? Am I looking at naught but casual work for two years?

I'm not normally one to let a set-back get to me but this one happened to bite.

Any advice gratefully received. :)

Hi Happy Lass

I was in a similar position where I was always getting pipped at the post and was out of work from when I got here in January until the end of July....I was banging my head off a wall...

I'm unsure what you're vocation is but can share that I got so p*ssed off with the whole job thing - I got mucked about for around 6 weeks from a prospective employer who had got back in touch with me to offer me a temporary position only to be put on hold as I said for 6 weeks and then get a phone call to say that they couldn't offer me a position after all.....

I joined a lesser known employment Agency one Wednesday and by the Friday at 5pm, I was offered a temporary contract with a great prospect of being kept on in a large establishment. I've been in work for 3.5 weeks now and am so grateful to be working again (never thought I'd hear myself saying that lol).

But I'll be happy to give you the details of the recruitment agency if you want?

PS: I was told that I wasn't able to work in Air Services Australia as it was thought to be a Government organisation, but had my name put forward for a position there......I was gobsmacked as my oh and I thought that the Federal Govt' positions weren't available for my visa status. I also was interviewed loads of times for the local ACT Gov't, they didn't seem to have any kind of restrictions on their recruitment either. Dunno if any of this helps though, feel free to PM me if you want more info or if I can help with anything ;-)

Thanks Pptrixibell. :smile: I'd be glad to give them a try. I've found one agency that has been pretty good at keeping in touch but they haven't turned up anything for me yet.

I know what you mean re. being grateful to be working again. I'm so happy here and a job is the only thing I'm missing. I hope your contract turns out to not just a permanent one but a job that you really, really enjoy. :)

Thanks Pptrixibell. :smile: I'd be glad to give them a try. I've found one agency that has been pretty good at keeping in touch but they haven't turned up anything for me yet.

I know what you mean re. being grateful to be working again. I'm so happy here and a job is the only thing I'm missing. I hope your contract turns out to not just a permanent one but a job that you really, really enjoy. :)

Thanks Happy Lass, I'm so happy too, it's all finally slotted into place, the missing piece of the puzzle was of course finding work here!) I've PM'd you the recruitment agencies weblink etc, hope that they aren't the ones you were using and that they can help you!

Let us know how you get on!!! :hug:

Archived