Fumigation of wicker items

blobby1000

:biggrin:Hi does anyone know roughly how much quarantine charge for fumigation of wicker items ?

I dont want to get stung but i would like to take some.

We brought a wicker chair but because it was treated wicker (varnished) it didnt even get looked at.

As far as I am led to believe, If its untreated wicker/wood etc (which Is probably unlikely if its furniture rather than a bag or bowl) then it might get expensive and might even just be destroyed (at your costs of course).

I would still recommend emailing AQUIS directly to be 100% sure.

fumigation is a few hundred dollars per item.

watch out for christmas decs - this seems to be the main attraction, straw hats etc. mark boxes as tinsell and baubles.

I was given the option to destroy or fumigate one christmas dec. Even destroying it cost $60

Declare all wooden/cane furniture as manufactured.

Guest Paul in UK
fumigation is a few hundred dollars per item.

watch out for christmas decs - this seems to be the main attraction, straw hats etc. mark boxes as tinsell and baubles.

I was given the option to destroy or fumigate one christmas dec. Even destroying it cost $60

Declare all wooden/cane furniture as manufactured.

The packers are literally putting our house into a container but minutes before we were told that our much loved dining table was suspect and untreated. It's a really heavy and solid wooded table, cost £1000+ but with minutes to make a decision we have left it behind. Sad but i just didn't want to chance it at the other end and pick up a bill for destroying it. I think it's such a confusing issue though.

The packers are literally putting our house into a container but minutes before we were told that our much loved dining table was suspect and untreated. It's a really heavy and solid wooded table, cost £1000+ but with minutes to make a decision we have left it behind. Sad but i just didn't want to chance it at the other end and pick up a bill for destroying it. I think it's such a confusing issue though.

Sorry to hear that.

Did the agent not point the possibility of that out when they gave the quote?

Are the packers the experts with the shipping company you have used?

Unless it is a hand carved tabled top I would of thought it would have passed as manufactured and there for treated.

We brought a wicker chair but because it was treated wicker (varnished) it didnt even get looked at.

As far as I am led to believe, If its untreated wicker/wood etc (which Is probably unlikely if its furniture rather than a bag or bowl) then it might get expensive and might even just be destroyed (at your costs of course).

I would still recommend emailing AQUIS directly to be 100% sure.

I would not count on any email you get from AQUIS to make you 100% sure. Replies I have had to questions seem to be quotes from the web site and still leave them with the option to pass or destroy any item they choose. :mad:

Guest Paul in UK
Sorry to hear that.

Did the agent not point the possibility of that out when they gave the quote?

Are the packers the experts with the shipping company you have used?

Unless it is a hand carved tabled top I would of thought it would have passed as manufactured and there for treated.

The agent at the time said it was Ok, the packers however took the table top off and then thought that it wasn't. It is annoying as we could of perhaps aimed off and made plans rather than put on the spot. I don't blame them, it's just annoying. The table itself was hand made rather than 'mass produced' so who knows, we just didn't want to land ourselves with a large bill at the other end. At the end of the day it's just stuff and there is more to life that worrying about it, i.e. we fly out in 11 days, we will just have to eat off of our laps!! :twitcy:

Archived