Foxtel or not?

Que Sera Sera

Guest guest30038
We are at the pinnicle moment 11 weeks in, do we or dont we get Foxtel? Is it worth the money? Can anyone who has it say whether they feel its any good?

Well my kids like Family Man and the missus likes Casualty and Holby City.

If nothing else, we all enjoy UK tv and the National geo channels. The kids channels are good if you've got visitors with young kiddies and you want a natter with your visitors without the kids bothering you. The music channels are good for teenagers. We rarely watch the movies though as we have 2 dollar tuesday here and can hire dvd's for 2 bucks.

kev

We have had foxtel for yonks and have two boxes one for me and one in the family room. I have to have my fix of the UK programmes in fact I do not watch much American stuff at all.

You can get by with ABC and SBS but I find the commercial channels woeful.

Not that Foxtel has a lot of new stuff it doesn't but I can usually find something to watch.

As we have it bundled with our phone and internet with Telstra we get 10% off.

Corrie, Casualty,Holby City, The Fixer, have to watch. Also like the docos, sport and news. Do not watch the movie channels although we have them, my darling daughter is in charge of movies. :laugh:

Guest guest30038
:jiggy:Casualty! Holby! sold!! only dont tell the OH he hates them:biglaugh:
:biglaugh:

Dunno if you've seen it and nothing to do with Foxtell, but we've just started on the box set of "Bodies"............I'm hooked! Brilliant stuff!

kev

Guest The Pom Queen

I would probably go for it. We tend to record things and then watch when we have time, I would be lost without my soaps and True Blood etc.

In the UK we had the full Sky package and didn't watch half of it.

Being here in Australia now I decided because of the outdoor lifestyle why would I need it and so far there's enough on the free to air channels for the small time I watch the TV.

Plus I brought over about 3 TB of TV and films so plenty to keep us occupied if needed plus we got the T-box with our cable and telephone package which has a few extra internet based channels at no cost.

I love my sport (Leeds Utd especially) but no way will I be getting up in the early hours to watch it but I have my LUTV channel to keep up to date and download their games to watch.

Plus I thought it was quite expensive for what you got.

I could've got it for $10 off a month because of what we get allready...

My views only

But I guess for some it'll be great

Howard

Foxtel isn't as good as UK Skye, but i would say if you can afford it get it. You think you won't watch it much, but in the Aussie winter, when everything is shut at 9pm and it's a bit miserable outside, you'll be glad of it.

Its ordered :embarrassed: Installing Monday morning:jiggy:just got to tell the OH :biglaugh: think I will push the sports side of things:biglaugh:

Good decision! The normal TV over here is so bad you will be grateful for it. Don't forget to add on IQ (like sky plus) so you can watch when you like & fastforward all those annoying adverts! :jiggy:

Personally I wouldn't bother with movies, you can rent em cheaper. One good thing is you can swap and change packges as you like. We have the basic package, add sport when its the UK footy season & add UKTV packages when we get bored!

Get it but not for all those Pommy soap operas. Midsomer Murders yes, Outnumbered Yes.

I wanted it for English Premier League - EVERY game is on Foxtel this season plus the Champions League on one of the other channels and some of the Championship. Also Test cricket from all over the world.

UK TV is a bonus but my favourite series is True Blood which I've only just discovered in season three.

Also World Movies. To be honest I hardly watch 'free to air' now.

Dave

ps $100 a month, without the main movie channels though I do get some.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone

do you have sky plus HD with the freeze frame action on the remote and rewind live tv, and record button, with your own sky video library, we love this new tecnology in the uk and surely they have this in OZ where sky originated from.

Howard - Leeds lost 5 - 2 against Barnsley last night but they have started quite well. They are live on sky on friday away to Doncaster.

We are at the pinnicle moment 11 weeks in, do we or dont we get Foxtel? Is it worth the money? Can anyone who has it say whether they feel its any good?

Q...this is the first post ive read ....you have to get foxtel if u like footy , we are 12 months behind corronation street and its getting real good ,as always .....the local tv , i dont really watch , but they have some good films on and after a while u sort of get use to there programmes......some are ok ....at first , like all of us ,we think its crap but like everything ,give it time and get used to it .......but without fox i would be on the poms in oz more than i am now .....!!!!!!:wideeyed: and we dont want that do we mods ...:wink:

Hi everyone

do you have sky plus HD with the freeze frame action on the remote and rewind live tv, and record button, with your own sky video library, we love this new tecnology in the uk and surely they have this in OZ where sky originated from.

Yeah it looks identical

Howard - Leeds lost 5 - 2 against Barnsley last night but they have started quite well. They are live on sky on friday away to Doncaster.

Yeah not impressed with that game but not a bad start.

I'd be lost without LUTV to keep up watching the games.

Howard

Plus I brought over about 3 TB of TV and films so plenty to keep us occupied if needed

That's interesting...I've got a 6Tb storage server, I went a bit mental, with loads of CDs and DVDs stored on it which I stream via my xBox to the big TV...how did you transport this data?? Mine is the size of a Car Engine Battery, so it isn't physically big...but do customs want to see what data is on hard drives? Do they want you to prove you own it and it isn't obtained illegally, like did you have to show you owned the original DVDs, etc? Or did they just not blink an eye??

That's interesting...I've got a 6Tb storage server, I went a bit mental, with loads of CDs and DVDs stored on it which I stream via my xBox to the big TV...how did you transport this data?? Mine is the size of a Car Engine Battery, so it isn't physically big...but do customs want to see what data is on hard drives? Do they want you to prove you own it and it isn't obtained illegally, like did you have to show you owned the original DVDs, etc? Or did they just not blink an eye??

Yeah I do similar to xbox and also I use the new WDLive boxes which are great. I brought 2 HD's on flight with me in hand luggage and no questions asked.

I've packed the back up HD's in a computer which we have shipped and hopefully will be through customs fine.

I just thought it was better to bring a few HD's instead of a few hundred DVD's (well over 800)

I have a double copy of each HD just in case of failure.

Hope that helps

Howard

I would struggle to live without Foxtel.

But it does get very expensive if you take up all the fruit.

I just have the base box (not the recording IQ).

I have base package plus sport for $58 per month.

IQ is extra $10 per month.

HD even more.

While the extras are good you can easily end up spending $100 plus per month.

I preferred to buy a DVD recorder which enables me to tape things, rather than rent an IQ box from Foxtel

I would struggle to live without Foxtel.

But it does get very expensive if you take up all the fruit.

I just have the base box (not the recording IQ).

I have base package plus sport for $58 per month.

IQ is extra $10 per month.

HD even more.

While the extras are good you can easily end up spending $100 plus per month.

I preferred to buy a DVD recorder which enables me to tape things, rather than rent an IQ box from Foxtel

This was the package I was looking at...

$58 a month sounded reasonable

Archived