Melbourne, the clear winner.....

Nzogbia

Ok, bit contentious, but having spent a fair bit of time in all the major Australian cities (except Perth) I reckon Melbourne should be touted as the best choice for all new UK arrivals. Obviously your Australian destination may be dictated by family or job opportunities but if you do have a free hand then I think Melbourne is the clear winner. One of the things I have learned over the years here is that many ex-pats arrive in Australia thinking they want a fully outdoor life-style, but very few of them adapt happily to a consistently different climate. I expect many look at Melbourne (or Tassie for that matter) and think "hmmm, why would I possibly move to Melbs, when I could be in Sydney, Perth or Brisse", but I think after a certain age, your climate control has programmed limits.

Melbourne, despite some obvious faults, is best suited to the British personality - it is variously warm, cold, rainy and very hot, has proper seasons, is sport obsessed, retains a sense of community through its collection of villages feel, has significant European influence/architecture, is 'arty/cultured' by comparison to the rest of Australia, still has some proper pubs, likes a pie and a pint but also has the fine dining, great beaches out of the cities, beautiful parks, vineyeards etc... And most of all, despite the creeping gentrification, most of the people here aren't too up themselves or pretentious and you can be yourself (I think Melburnians get the UK sense of humour better than other parts of Australia).

I'm probably a bit biased as i chose to settle here, but there you go. Anyone agree/disagree?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, I wouldn't say it is particularly "English" - I think Melburnians are very proud of their city and like to think it is unique - a kind of European Australia (rather than English).

I guess the weather thing is relative....I'm from the north east of England so I still think the weather here is perfectly mild!! I also appreciate the seasons, the leaves falling, the gradual temperature wind down/up etc... I knew a girl who moved here from Brisbane. When I asked her why she decided on Melbourne she said "I have spent my life in shorts, t shirts, thongs and summer dresses - I wanted to wear a coat and a scarf for part of the year". I guess for some the non stop sub tropical heat of Queensland might work, but I think many imagine they can hack it, then find out they actually crave the variety of the seasons.

Guest siamsusie

Having lived in Karratha WA for five years I appreciate being able to handle a cooler temperate, the 4 seasons etc here in Tasmania. I love the snow, the skiing, the long summer balmy evenings, olde worldie villages.

Parts of Queensland also holds its attraction to us, as long as we can live near the sea, fish etc without too much humidity.

I agree that Melbourne is the easiest city to adapt to if coming from the UK. The locals think the winters are cold but, if you come from the UK, they seem pretty mild yet you can go skiing for the weekend (three hour drive). There are also lots of beautiful sunny days in the winter. It is nice to wear coats and boots. Spring and autumn are not as glorious as in the UK but nevertheless do exist and you are guaranteed a long hot summer. The summer evenings are not as long as in the UK but longer than Queensland.

Apart from the weather, I think it is also easier to adapt to Melbourne culturally and socially. It is not Europe but it feels more like it than the other capitals. There are lots of cultural and sporting events here and lots of good places to eat. The city centre does have a bit of buzz about it. Schools are also pretty good and education is valued.

My Australian sister-in-law, a Melbourne girl who had to move to Queensland in her early thirties, says it took her seven years to adapt!

I agree - I think Melbourne is one of the most favourable cities for new migrants - especially from Europe. I also like the cultrual diversity here with a large number of Asian migrants & European migrants which is reflected in Melbournes cafe culture. Being abit of a foodie I love the fact that you have a wide range of choices to eat out whether that be asian or european. I also feel that much of the produce is much fresher than anywhere I ever expereinced in the UK.

I live in a small suburb just outside Melbourne as never wanted to live in the city but closer enough to also appreciate it! There are also many hidden bars & resturants here - I am always discovering new places. I have to say the climate is also very likeable too. Having also lived in QLD briefly - I appreciate the seasons, love the summers but also look forwward to the cool evenings! People are also very friendly here and Victoria in general is a great place to live. There are some great beaches less than an hour away & heaps of great winneries around too. For me its definatly a winner hands down. I really like other cities in Oz too and love QLD - but like to keep that as my holiday destination. I think I would get bored if the sun was always out and it was always warm. I have to say my influence on emigrating to Melbourne was based on the fact that it is recognised as the cultrual capital and is Australia second largest city.

I am a Melbourne lover too. I have lived in Tasmania and that was nice for a while but a little insular after a time. Melbourne is more outward-looking, much more 'European'- I wouldn't say British particularly. I love the climate except for about 2 weeks when it is too hot for me ( the 40 degree plus days) You have the wonderful Lygon Street, all the lane ways and reasonable shops as well. People are friendly and not too many surfie type bogans around and you can also get to NSWales, S Australia and Queensland easily and cheaply if you want a change.

A lot of the European migrants who came in the wave of migration from 1945-1970 came to Melbourne for many of the reasons in the above threads (like my parents, they liked the 4 season weather) Mind you this Winter has been a bit too much of that season. It may not be for everyone though, if you come to Australia for a beach culture, it is not as prevalent down here as Qld and NSW (with the surf clubs etc)

Guest siamsusie
A lot of the European migrants who came in the wave of migration from 1945-1970 came to Melbourne for many of the reasons in the above threads (like my parents, they liked the 4 season weather) Mind you this Winter has been a bit too much of that season. It may not be for everyone though, if you come to Australia for a beach culture, it is not as prevalent down here as Qld and NSW (with the surf clubs etc)

Exactly Olly.... I love Tasmania very much insular it might be for some but thats why we chose it:jiggy:

You have made Melbourne sound very attractive (and subsequent posts make Tassie sound great too). I would love to visit.

I guess for some the non stop sub tropical heat of Queensland might work, but I think many imagine they can hack it, then find out they actually crave the variety of the seasons.

However, so far, just 9 months in, the fact that we have been able to wear thongs all year and hardly ever needed a sweater is still a real novelty for us and we are loving that. It may not always be that way. I confess I struggle with the summer heat and I have always loved the (rare) perfect frosty autumn morning for walking the dog....

I would like to visit Tassie. My grandfather lived there for years as his second wife came over from UK and couldn't bear the Qld heat. When she died he made it up the east coast again and settled in Murwillumbah. He liked the heat, I think!

Still, I love my new life. Don't know if we will always be here. I ALWAYS say I will never move again, and so far I always have so who knows.....:biglaugh:

Ok, bit contentious, but having spent a fair bit of time in all the major Australian cities (except Perth) I reckon Melbourne should be touted as the best choice for all new UK arrivals. Obviously your Australian destination may be dictated by family or job opportunities but if you do have a free hand then I think Melbourne is the clear winner. One of the things I have learned over the years here is that many ex-pats arrive in Australia thinking they want a fully outdoor life-style, but very few of them adapt happily to a consistently different climate. I expect many look at Melbourne (or Tassie for that matter) and think "hmmm, why would I possibly move to Melbs, when I could be in Sydney, Perth or Brisse", but I think after a certain age, your climate control has programmed limits.

Melbourne, despite some obvious faults, is best suited to the British personality - it is variously warm, cold, rainy and very hot, has proper seasons, is sport obsessed, retains a sense of community through its collection of villages feel, has significant European influence/architecture, is 'arty/cultured' by comparison to the rest of Australia, still has some proper pubs, likes a pie and a pint but also has the fine dining, great beaches out of the cities, beautiful parks, vineyeards etc... And most of all, despite the creeping gentrification, most of the people here aren't too up themselves or pretentious and you can be yourself (I think Melburnians get the UK sense of humour better than other parts of Australia).

I'm probably a bit biased as i chose to settle here, but there you go. Anyone agree/disagree?

Went to have a look at Melbourne a few years back .......wasnt impressed .....not for me

We love Melbourne and the weather is one of the things we like about it. Apart from the north wind days in summer when we lock ourselves with the aircon. However even on those days we know a cool change is coming.

Winters are not as harsh as European winters and when we get a frosty day later on we get a lot of sunshine.

This winter has been a winter of old, the last 10 or so have been mild with the drought. Fortunately we have had a winter of old and the rain we used to get in winter.

9 months of the year its perfect for me. The other three can be a little hot, a little wet, a little cold. I do not own an overcoat just jackets.

Coming from UK we love the garden we can have here in Melbourne, lots of our favourites from UK and they do very well. Deciduous trees can take the dry and they have been found to be the trees that do well in fire situations.

Went to have a look at Melbourne a few years back .......wasnt impressed .....not for me

Could you elaborate on what you didn't like bunbury? I have said it before that Melbourne is a place that has a lot of hidden things that make it appealing too, as well as the things you can see. The weather can be cranky and windy sure, and if you come during a bad wet wintry type of week you could wonder why anyone would emigrate here only to get similar UK weather they just left. As the city is one of the

most sprawling metropolises in the world, it is hard to come for a week and then get a feel for what it has to offer. Melbourne is surrounded by many city and surf beaches, bays, hills, bike tracks, and there are fantastic events (Tennis, cricket, Grand Prix, Moto GP, Racing Carnivals). The traffic can get a bit much sometimes, but no worse than Sydney or Brisbane. Each to their own of course, but I do find some of the criticisms of Melbourne can be unjustified. For me it is not too different to London with the many of the classic buildings etc. You are entitled to your opinion though of course, but was just interested to see why you disliked it?

We love Melbourne and the weather is one of the things we like about it. Apart from the north wind days in summer when we lock ourselves with the aircon. However even on those days we know a cool change is coming.

Winters are not as harsh as European winters and when we get a frosty day later on we get a lot of sunshine.

This winter has been a winter of old, the last 10 or so have been mild with the drought. Fortunately we have had a winter of old and the rain we used to get in winter.

9 months of the year its perfect for me. The other three can be a little hot, a little wet, a little cold. I do not own an overcoat just jackets.

Coming from UK we love the garden we can have here in Melbourne, lots of our favourites from UK and they do very well. Deciduous trees can take the dry and they have been found to be the trees that do well in fire situations.

Well said Petals. This winter has been a bit of a shock, but what a lovely day today 29C, Melbourne is lovely when it's sunny.

Victoria is a small State the size of the UK but of course we do not have the population so plenty of room. I love it because we can visit the country towns where beautiful old houses exist with old style gardens. The country towns have the architecture paid for by gold and there are some wonderful old pubs, banks, houses around.

Victoria has the mountains, the snow, the heat everything in a nutshell.

I am a Melbourne lover too. I have lived in Tasmania and that was nice for a while but a little insular after a time. Melbourne is more outward-looking, much more 'European'- I wouldn't say British particularly. I love the climate except for about 2 weeks when it is too hot for me ( the 40 degree plus days) You have the wonderful Lygon Street, all the lane ways and reasonable shops as well. People are friendly and not too many surfie type bogans around and you can also get to NSWales, S Australia and Queensland easily and cheaply if you want a change.

there doesnt seem to be much pleasing you looking through your recent post .......! why slag the uk off and then come to Oz wanting to be in a more Euopean type place...:confused:

Guest guest36187

I dislike Melbourne! I have visited several times and it just does not float my boat! It is no good for me for all teh reasons that it is good for a new migrant! The English part and influences does nothing for me!! I came here for a different life, not to look for one the same as I had!

Melbourne to me was all the reasons why I left my area of UK!

I first visited Melbourne on a work trip and didn't like it very much. We didn't have a lot of time to look round though and we were pretty busy when there. The weather was bad too, cold and raining. Went back a couple of years ago on a holiday for a few days with the family and really enjoyed it.

Had a lot more time to explore, loved the walking down by the river, had a great Italian meal in Lygon St and for me, the highlight was visiting the war memorial. They have done an excellent job with making that good for tourists to see and experience without making it "tacky" in any way. There were a lot of ex-serviceman to show people around and share a lot of knowledge.

The last post ceremony re-creation was quite moving. My son (13) was mesmerised and I thought he might be a bit bored.

We had good weather for that visit too, so for all the people that say weather is just a small thing it can influence your impression of a place immensely.

I still prefer Perth or Brisbane to live but wouldn't be too unhappy with Melbourne.

My husband is originally from Victoria and I only spent a day there as my in laws live in a country town but I went to Mt Macedon and loved it as it reminded me of england (my father in law found it amusing)

We are looking to move Syd but I think the final descion will be made on work as we have family in both places so after leaving my family behind in the UK need to make sure we are near some family.

• 2 months later...

I don't think that Melbourne is anything like the UK. For a start, it looks nothing like it. It has a modern skyline, wide streets, big cars and is spread out. I would say that aesthetically its more akin to the US.

I do agree though that its a great city. If you are a foodie, there are few places on the planet that offer so many great restaurants from budget neighbourhood eateries to top of the range michelin offerings. The surrounding countryside is stunning, and it has a great vibe in the way that only the 'great' cities do.

I love that it has proper seasons, which I guess is why it could be likened to the UK, but its got a brighter light and longer days.

Days average out to 12 hours wherever you are in the world. As you get nearer the poles the days in winter get shorter but this is balanced by summer days getting longer.

Are you being pedantic? :laugh:

I know this, however the days in Victoria in terms of daylight seem to make more sense to my particular metabolism. Tis all. :cute:

Archived