What can you ship? Nothing??

redrobbersdog

Hi, we are just looking at clearing things out and deciding what we are going to take with us when we move.

We have been on the Australian Government webiste and according to this we can't really take alot, or so it seems.

On their list of "Items of quarantine concern in personal effects" it seems all household goods are on there from cutlery, pots and pans to all items which contain wood! :wacko:

I'm assuming that this is not the case. Could anyone advise if we have to leave with nothing or are the lists just there to scare you off?

Thanks in advance.

Normal household goods are fine as long as they are clean! We just brought everything with us- the only things we left behind were gardening tools and camping stuff. You have to fill in a form listing all your wooden items- for kitchen stuff I just wrote "several pan handles, wooden spoons etc". Quarantine in Oz did open a few boxes of kitchen stuff, but it was all fine.

Guest BrightonBoys

Hi

We have been advised we can't take baskets* and our cow hide rug :mad:

* large ones from IKEA and a picnic basket I have from the 40's and another brand new one (bought as a pressie to take to Oz:eek:)

Hi

We have been advised we can't take baskets* and our cow hide rug :mad:

* large ones from IKEA and a picnic basket I have from the 40's and another brand new one (bought as a pressie to take to Oz:eek:)

That's correct- yes I'd forgotten I'd left all my wicker baskets behind. Just went to Ikea when I got here and bought some new ones.

Guest BrightonBoys
We have loads of carvings we bought about 5 years ago in Sri Lanka and Kenya to bring with us - they mean a lot to us and would hate to have to leave them behind. Any advice???

My wooden carvings from Thailand got the thumbs up from our removel people if that helps!

We have loads of carvings we bought about 5 years ago in Sri Lanka and Kenya to bring with us - they mean a lot to us and would hate to have to leave them behind. Any advice???

I'd ask your shipping company. But it's likely they'll be picked up by quarantine, then you either have to pay to have them destroyed or treated.

Just declare them on your customs form. As Katkat says you may need to pay for them to be treated when they arrive, which isn't cheap especially gamma irradiation, but if they're important to you it's worth it.

We have a lot of bark art and decorated boab nuts (granted originally Australian, but had spent 6 years in the UK!) and we had no problem with them. The only things which needed treatment were our (Australian) dining chairs and my Mum's 60 year old teddy!

Thanks for all the responses! Phew at least I know I can take most of my furniture and kitchen stuff! :o) sad when your concerned if you can take your pots and pans! Haha! Planning for the move now. Hopefully 457 won't be too long.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We left wicker stuff behind. Brought everything else including a plastic B&Q bucket, garden tools, outdoor furniture, and a old chimney pot. Should have seen the looks the packers gave us!

It got worse when I asked them to wrap the drain rods. They got through quarantine too.

Archived