Trying to get some sort of compensation from shipping company

Que Sera Sera

Has anyone tried to get some sort of compensation and if you have, did it work?

We had our goods picked up by our shipping company on the 29th of June. Its the 4th of December and our goods have not even docked yet! The shipping companies website clearly states that we should expect our delivery even though its a shared container within 10 to 12 weeks! Now nearly 6 months later and we still dont have it.

I rang in mid September because they werent answering any of my emails and the firl on the phone said " Oh you havent been sent any forms either, well your goods are due to dock on the 26th of September so I will send your forms!. That was the last I have heard from them.

I got a letter from the shippers this side in October to cinfirm that our goods were now at sea :shocked: and they were very sorry that EVL had told us an earlier date but if I had an issue I would have to take it up with them as it was a different company!

I went onto the ships actual website and it state that our container was loaded at Felixtowe on the 1st of October :arghh::arghh::arghh:. That means our wordly goods were sat at Felixstowe for 3 flipping months! And I was lied to when told they were now at sea in September. The companies website states it will be in regular contact and I will have my on consultant in regular contact:shocked: I didnt even know what ship they were on until a few weeks ago and I was given the wrong one first of all:mad:

Is it worth complaining to Trading Standards in the UK, seriously I would hate for someone to have to go through this.

Guest burgledad

Bl**dy hell! Name & shame on PIO would be my first step. Hit them where it hurts. Who is this company?

Then take some advice from a lawyer.

Bl**dy hell! Name & shame on PIO would be my first step. Hit them where it hurts. Who is this company?

Then take some advice from a lawyer.

Not allowed to name and shame, as the company can sue the sites owners!

I've said this before if a company is happy to have itself named when the feedback is good it should execpt the bad!

But as someone has said there are some shonky firms that are happy to log on and slate their competition and thats not right either..... Just a minefield.

However I think we could get around this if we named who we used at the start of the process, then just refurred people back to that 1st post????

Back on topic

What does it say in the fine print? If your stuff has already left, whats the point of going to see a solicitor? If you can get anything out of the shipping company it will only end up paying the solicitor..,. I'd ring up the shipping company and find out which outside organisation deals with things like this.

Good luck, if I remember rightly is the companies name something to do with what the queen wears on her head?

Guest burgledad
Not allowed to name and shame, as the company can sue the sites owners!

I've said this before if a company is happy to have itself named when the feedback is good it should execpt the bad!

But as someone has said there are some shonky firms that are happy to log on and slate their competition and thats not right either..... Just a minefield.

However I think we could get around this if we named who we used at the start of the process, then just refurred people back to that 1st post????

Back on topic

What does it say in the fine print? If your stuff has already left, whats the point of going to see a solicitor? If you can get anything out of the shipping company it will only end up paying the solicitor..,. I'd ring up the shipping company and find out which outside organisation deals with things like this.

Good luck, if I remember rightly is the companies name something to do with what the queen wears on her head?

Hat Relo then? Narrowed down enough for me to know who to avoid.

Ask Rob or one of the mods, but there have been loads of threads closed because of naming and shaming, and that seems to be the reason given :wubclub:

Oh just curious, not enough to track a mod down and challenge them though. :rolleyes:

I personally would avoid naming myself, but if somebody else did then I would say it is not libel if it is true...

Six months shipping is really appalling, I would be going spare, my house was packed up around the same time as OPs and we have our stuff months ago.

Guest guest33730

We don't allow 'naming and shaming' on open forum but if people want to know which company a poster is talking about then simply PM them.

Rest assured the site owners don't like this policy themselves but pragmatism is the name of the game here. We are looking at ways to still 'rate' companies regularly mentioned on PIO but even that is open to abuse by 'fictitious' satisfied customers etc. Hopefully we can, in time, come up with a workable solution so that site users can avoid companies who regularly let down their customers etc.

Daniel

Its not the hat the Queen wears its a different one again. Im happy to give the name to anyone if they want to PM me as I dont want to get PIO in trouble, I have named them on facebook, because if they want to sue me, I dont think they would get very far as I am telling a course of events not being slanderous.

This side of the equation are great the Aussie company have been brilliant. But the Brit side seem to take the money have think well tough we have your money now you are on the other side of the world what you going to do about it?

I dont know whether I can be bothered with the hassle but I think I will write a letter to the company and one to the Trading Standards and see how I get on.

Thanks for your input everyone:wubclub:

Guest burgledad

POI is obviously not the vehicle, but whispers via Facebook/Twitter should be effective enough. Just point us in the right direction. Silence cannot prevail otherwise these companies have no incentive to improve.

Guest cazbeckham

When we had our shippers pack for us we had to do a list and when I spoke to someone at the company about listing stuff I said what if you have 6 bedside lamps do I have to list each as one of an item and they said no, just put 6 x bedside lamps, same goes for everything else you have more than one of.

I did as I was told then when our stuff arrived some of the glass in one lamp was broken. I tried to claim and they said I did not list it as an individual item so cannot pay out. When I told them they told me to list as such they just shrugged me off.

So anyone else packing, I know it is time consuming but list absolutely everything 1 x cup, 1 x saucer, 1 x plate etc etc. You will need reams of paperwork but hey apart from a copy yourselves the company will also get all this paper and they asked for it.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this helps at all, but we have just had to go down this route for our movers in the UK.

You can complain to the Guild of Removers in the first instance Complaints Page and then if they can't help you can go to the The Removals Industry Ombudsman (which is where we are now).

Again, don't know if you want to pursue it or if they made things all ok in the end, but we are taking it to the top as it were as we wouldn't want anyone to go through what we did. We will not be getting any financial compensation we think, despite the company extorting a large sum of money out of us due to their incompetance, however in your case you may well be able to get some form of compensation.

Hope that helps a bit.

Archived