Buying foreign currency for trip back home

Smiler

Hi

Just wanted to check - my hubby and I are off to the UK for Christmas and I don't know what will be the best exchange rate for us. should we just use our AUD$ and exchange over here or there? Am I right in thinking it would be of no advantage to use my £'s savings whilst in the UK?

thanks

Smiler

Guest The Ropey HOFF

USE DOLLARS defo................ we went to OZ for a month and it cost us a fortune, coming to the uk will be like a free pass into your favourite sweet shop, your dollars will be worth their weight in gold, so to speak. We went to America when the rate was $2 to £1 and we brought a thousand dollars back with us, it was unreal how cheap things were and it will be the same for you when you visit the uk. If your living in each country and being paid in pounds in the uk and dollars in Australia, the cost of living is almost identical, thats what we found, maybe a tad dearer in OZ.

Best of luck and enjoy the bargains.

Thanks the Ropey Hoff

I will keep a look out for the exchange rate this week and try and get some £'s at the best rate.

I'm looking forward to shopping over there (never thought I would say it as it was always the opposite until a couple of years ago!)

Thanks again

Smiler:biggrin:

If you still have a current UK bank account you can just transfer what you need straight into it. Costs about $25 if the bank does it, you can do it for less if one of the currency transfer companies does it but I can never be bothered and just transfer with internet banking and get some out of the hole in the wall when I arrive. The exchange rate is excellent at the moment for Aus-UK direction!

Archived