Phil, Down Under prog tonight at 7.05pm.

Wellers and Whitehead

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We nearly got on Phil down under this time, we had several e-mails and they said they were going to phone us up for a chat, but then they said they had got their quota. They wouldn't have been happy because i was using them to get free flights and accommodation, so that i could take the first aid course to get in the Queensland service, i was going to tell them when we got there, so i think they would have been really p7ssed off with me, but i would have done the show as well, just would have had to fit it in around the course. lol

Guest auzsci
Oh god I got so excited!!! I hate repeats of stuff but il watch also. Melbourne is where we hope to end up!! whoooo!

Just watched this. Wasn't that interested in the series last year but omg I just couldn't hide my excitement today!!! That's where we're hoping to go as well. :biggrin:

So much house for so little money... and the weather... it all looks so nice! My OH was saying "oh how lovely it would be to just walk around in shorts!"

I'm on the Sunshine Coast & watched the Sunshine Coast episode with interest, but I have to say if I had 400,000 pounds (yes pounds!)to spend on a house I wouldn't need Phil's help! Maybe we are just paupers but didn't think that represented the average family?

Guest JK2510
I'm on the Sunshine Coast & watched the Sunshine Coast episode with interest, but I have to say if I had 400,000 pounds (yes pounds!)to spend on a house I wouldn't need Phil's help! Maybe we are just paupers but didn't think that represented the average family?

I agree with you. I find alot of the relocation programmes don't represent the average family. Even the relocation relocation programmes.

Guest juliemtaylor

enjoy watching the repeat of Melbourne, a lovely city but unrealistic pricing given a crap exchange rate now!

Julie x

We nearly got on Phil down under this time, we had several e-mails and they said they were going to phone us up for a chat, but then they said they had got their quota. They wouldn't have been happy because i was using them to get free flights and accommodation, so that i could take the first aid course to get in the Queensland service, i was going to tell them when we got there, so i think they would have been really p7ssed off with me, but i would have done the show as well, just would have had to fit it in around the course. lol

We also got quite far into this application having had initial chats then telephone interviews done and they were set to come to film us at home. Unfortunately, our house didnt sell when we thought it would so we couldnt commit to being there in November. They dont fly you out there, so you wouldve been disappointed as you wouldnt have gotten free flights and accommodation!!

They look for people who have made the move, and are now looking to buy property. They did advertise on PIO for people, but were looking for you to be out there by the time they filmed.

Shaz

Guest auzsci
Err, where wold that be again, not Melbourne thats for sure :biglaugh:

Hmmm... so things have changed a lot then! lol

I was just thinking of London and comparing that to Melbourne. Seriously, how much would a nice 3-bed house in a good neighbourhood cost now a days in Melbourne?

I was just thinking of London and comparing that to Melbourne. Seriously, how much would a nice 3-bed house in a good neighbourhood cost now a days in Melbourne?

That's such an open question I'm afraid. I.e. Do you want to be close to the CBD? If so, a nice area will cost a bomb, comparable to London prices. Or if you are content being further out from the city, what kind of lifestyle do you want and how far out do you want to be (20 mins, an hour? more?) There are so many things to consider and a 'good neighbourhod' is entirely open to opinion.

You could get a very nice 3 bed in say somewhere in the Western Suburbs (35-40 mins+ from CBD) in a place like Werribee for $500 - 700k, and pay much less than that in a place like Hoppers Crossing or Point Cook. But as places they might not suit everyone as are quite suburban. However somewhere like Williamstown which is stunning (25 mins ishfrom CBD) would set you back a cool $million plus in some cases.

I am by no means an expert on Melbourne, but if you check out the below link and enter in some suburbs such as Williamstown, Hawthorn, Richmond or any other places I have mentioned (as a starter - others will have other knowledge on good areas) then this will give you an idea.

Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au

Absolutely! At least if that is average :shocked: then I am doing something very, very wrong.:frown:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
We also got quite far into this application having had initial chats then telephone interviews done and they were set to come to film us at home. Unfortunately, our house didnt sell when we thought it would so we couldnt commit to being there in November. They dont fly you out there, so you wouldve been disappointed as you wouldnt have gotten free flights and accommodation!!

They look for people who have made the move, and are now looking to buy property. They did advertise on PIO for people, but were looking for you to be out there by the time they filmed.

Shaz

Hi Shaz and happy new year gal

is that right - no flights or accommodation............... cheap skates.:laugh::yes:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Theres still some fantastic houses to be had in Melbourne in and around the point cook area, houses that we can only dream about, but granted they are dearer than they were because the exchange rate is so rubbish, but thats because Australia never went into recession, plus other reasons.

Since the Phil Melbourne prog (1st series) the exchange rate alone would make houses about 30% more expensive, I'm guessing they've also gone up about 20% since then, so any figures you see in pounds could be half as much again now at a very rough guess.

Shaz

Hi shaz we were also contacted for the programe numerous phone calls and emails we had to do our own video diary that was an experience in itself they said as we were already in oz they couldnt send anyone. we were successful then they changed their minds and said oops sorry you have been in Oz for 2 years we have only just got permanent residencey from 457 I dont think they really know what they wanted surely it is just as important to know that you are settled or may be they are on comission for selling house to impulse buyers they get drawn into the limlight or may be our budget was poor:wacko:

Hi nurse sue,

Shame you got so far before they said that. I think they had a lot of people hanging around as potential candidates before making the final decision, and who knows what it was based on. We also got pretty far into the Wanted Down Under show until they decided as my OH had been in Brisbane for a week on business, alone, they didnt want us as they prefer people totally new to Australia so his week's business trip ruled us out, even though the rest of the family hadnt been at that point.

What is meant to be will be, I reckon. I wouldnt have wanted to buy a property right now anyway with this exchange rate, so probably best for us we didnt get on Phil-Relocation Down Under.

• 1 year later...

Archived