Mount Gambier - What's it like?

Guest damobeer

Guest damobeer

Hello all, I haven't posted here for ages and have had to re-register. After almost a year in Adelaide I've been offered my dream job as a Fisheries Officer in Mount Gambier. I know nothing about the area and start my new job in 3 weeks!

We have a 5 year old girl and 9 year old boy so does anyone have opinions on the which schools to put them in?

What suburbs are good, which should we avoid? We are taking a drive down there next week but any info would be great. I'm not getting any joy from my usual pomsinadelaide, er probably coz it's in Adelaide!

Cheers!

Damien

Guest The Pom Queen

Congratulations on the job offer, unfortunately I have no idea on Mt Gambier either but it is suppose to be lovely out there.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

My wife and I had a year or so on the limestone coast. Not far from Mt Gambia.

We would call it a big town rather than a city. Go to the Blue lake for an unbelievable view. Some good places to drink and eat and the theatre there has some good shows etc.

Great beach fishing and four wheel driving, make sure you have a four wheel drive!

Can,t say about schools as we do not have children. But overall we felt safe there. All the shops etc were sufficient, Not on the scale of Adelaide though.

Would call Mt Gambia a large bush town so quite a few ferrals knocking about, so choose home wisely. Great caravan shows down there.

Also great launching place to have weekends away along the great Ocean rd to Warnambool and onto Melbourne (our favourite thing to do) Beware speed reduction SA to Victoria lots of cops across border waiting for you.

If you are not too city orientated then this would be a good place to live and work in our opinion.

Go to the tourist info in Mt Gambia, a nice place to start when you go down for the weekend.

House prices were pretty good in comparison to Adelaide so a comfortable lifestyle can be had. Well done with the new jobs and good luck!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Kay Ogilvie

We moved from the UK to Mount Gambier just over 3 years ago - we have two boys, aged 3 and 6. It's a lovely place to bring up children. The schools are pretty good to. Our son attends Tenison Woods College which is a private school, but there are also good state schools in town. When do you arrive in the Mount? What else do you want to know about Mount Gambier? Regards Kay

Archived