55 plus

soul

hi all,

val from aberdeen here,I just think this site is great and I just want to ask a question.

I am a 55 year old divorced lady and I want to live and work in australia,I have friends in melbourne but they are not allowed to sponsor me as I am too old for sponsorship. I would like to know if there is anyone else who is in the same position as me ,if so could they please give me some advice as to where I go from here.

I know I can go as a retiree but the money that they want you to have is a bit difficult,I have a house to sell and I will get a good price for it and there is my pension fund too but I dont have enough money according to the government webb site.

I am in fulltime employment at the moment and I know that I can only work 20 hours a week in a job in australia,that is ok as I want to work less hours anyway.

I dont want any hand outs from australian government as I dont get any handouts here in scotland I have always worked for what I have and I would not have it any other way but the australian government dont make it easy for people like me who just want a better quality of life at my time of life.

I lived in melbourne for 2 years and that was many years ago now but I have been trying to return ever since.

so please help me if you can with any advice you think might point me in the right direction.

thanks val.

Guest Boroboy

Hi Val

Know what you mean. I dont really know of any way as you said unless you go with loads of money.

Have you thought of doing a degree or something. Universities dont have age limits (me thinks).

I would check this option out. Make sure degree is for 2 years and then maybe you could find another way to stay.????

Good luck

Hi Val,

Im sorry I can't help, but I'm hoping I'm pointing you in the direction of someone that can!

There are a few migration experts that log onto the forum offering basic, helpful advice. I know of 2 and hopefully someone else will know of others, or even help you themselves!

Try a Personal Mail to Alan Collett, or welshtone.

Good luck

Hays

thanks for the advice boroboy and hays I will try and ask alan collett or one of the other migration agents.

I just think it is a bit unfare of australian government asking so much of us when it is clear that we come to australia with money and intend to seek work also,some people come to australia with nothing and are allowed to stay,there must be a way for us who dont want anything from the government except to live in their wonderful country.

I wont give up there must be a way through this,but thanks again for your help. val.

Guest leanneandmark

Would be interested to know how you get on. My mother would love to come with us, (with my sister who is dependant, age 9 ) but she has just turned 50, and as she has 4 children so doesn't reach balance of family until my sister comes out but that won't be for another 8 or 9 years.:sad:

Guest freckles

Hi Val I was 50 and seperated when I came over here, I came over on holiday applied for a job with a hospital and they sponsored me. I have me permanent residency now, took 13 months from arriving till P. R. What line of work are you in? You can perhaps go down the sponsorship route. Many agencies sponsor peeps to come over if the employment they are in is in high demand

Good luck and keep trying it is well worth it.

hi freckles

thanks for that info I am surprised you managed to live and work in australia .I worked in a kindergarten in melbourne in 1973 /1975 I was a kinder assistant but I only have experieance and no qualifications.

when I returned to scotland I also worked in a childrens nursery for two years,before I had my two children.

I have also been a private nanny to twin girls and that lasted two years,but again I dont have any qualifications.I have had plenty of experience but no qualifications.

I just cant see a way for me to get there, are you a nurse freckles?

please tell me how long it was from start to finish ,and what part of australia are you in?

I would be very interested if you have any more info for me you sound very interesting.

val.

Guest freckles

One way is to come over for a holiday to a destination you would like to settle in........go to the numerous amounts of employment agencies and see if they are willing to sponsor you. I am a nurse and when i did that i was spoiled for choice, one agency had me filling in the visa forms on first meeting...........I came over on holiday in the feb 2006 got sponsorship came over here in may 2006 and got my permanent visa in july 2007. I am working fulltime and loving every minute of work and life over here. I was lucky as they are very short of nurses but you never know, if you are really wanting to come over anything is worth a try.

Good luck keep trying .....even email a few of the agencies and see what they say.

HI freckles,

thank you so much for the info,I will try anything to get to australia.

I think I will see if I can find some agency sites and perhaps ask for some advice and help.

I am so glad your enjoying your new life in australia and perhaps one day I will also be enjoying my new life in oz too.

I will keep going until I find a way through.

thanks again for your advice,take care

val.

Archived