I'm off on my working holiday ALOOOOONE

Guest RedSquirrel

Guest RedSquirrel

g'day...

I have just had my working holiday visa granted for a year in oz! very very exciting but due to a current break up i am doing it alone... which i hear is the best way to do it.

Any advice you lovely people would like to give me. I'm heading out in may hopefully!

Guest AnnaStu

Hi there,

I went to OZ on a WHV in 2007 with my bf but we split up whilst travelling just after 2 months and was by myself for 10 months and had the time of my life !!!!

u will make friends in no time!! just enjoy it,be prepared but dont over-plan!

im happy to help if uve got any questions:)

Guest RedSquirrel

eek did you just go your separate ways?

What can i do to prepare? i'm doing a CELTA course before i go so i can get a job teaching english in a language school.

Im so excited but i need to know what to expect as i am going it alone. I know a few people in sydney, so should be able to have a couch to stay on for a night or 2. Did you work out there ? how easy is it to get a job? x

Guest siamsusie

What can i do to prepare? i'm doing a CELTA course before i go so i can get a job teaching english in a language school.

Im so excited but i need to know what to expect as i am going it alone. I know a few people in sydney, so should be able to have a couch to stay on for a night or 2. Did you work out there ? how easy is it to get a job? x

Hi there Britchick one of our members is leaving the UK bound for Oz on a working holiday as well. Havew a look out for her, might be nice to exchange experiences and ideas.

Have a great day:wubclub:Susie x

Hi RedSquirrel,

I went out in 07/08 on a WHV alone and had the time of my life - i had originally planned on going with my then bf but we broke up a few months before i was due to go so i picked myself up, dusted myself off and left to greener pastures!

Be prepared to plonk yourself down next to people in hostels and just start chatting! Be open, friendly, up for a bit of adventure and you'll be fine. Some of the people i met while travelling are some of my closest friends now!! :D

Look for work before u go (i managed to set up a few interviews before i'd left Ireland and even had a phone interview for a job before i left!) it is possible to just walk over into a job but it depends on what sort of work you're looking for.

And any other questions there feel free to ask and check out the WHV thread: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/96711-working-holiday-visa-peeps.html

Caz

Guest AnnaStu

yes i had several jobs, i worked in a cafe for about 5 months and absolutely loved it. the pay was really good as well.did some fruitpicking for a few days and worked in a hostel for free accommodation.i didn´t find it hard to get a job but then again it has been nearly 4 years since i went dont know if that has changed.i think it depends what kind of job u wanna do.if u wanna teach then might be better to secure a job before u go but if u just want to make some money with any job u should be fine.

definately do ur CV before u go.:biggrin:

Guest RedSquirrel

Ha wow that sounds like my situation cazbob...currently in the dusting self off process.

what kind of work did you get? did you go straight to sydney?

x

Guest alanmarybella

i went by my self in 1994 all i can say it was the best thing i ever did. my two best men at my wedding were guys i met in oz and they are still my bestfriends now and i am godparent with one of them all i can say is dont stay with your friends in sydney to long get in to a hostel and meet people if you are in sydney stay at the YHA in glebe on glebe point road its a lot smaller then the big one in town and glebe is a great place to chill out

if you have any questions drop me a pm

alan

Ha wow that sounds like my situation cazbob...currently in the dusting self off process.

what kind of work did you get? did you go straight to sydney?

x

well i recommend throwing yourself into planning your trip - it helps take your mind off things and u can feel empowered that you're making a step away from the whole thing! :D

i worked as an architect in Adelaide - went straight to adelaide and travelled around using it as a base.

Hey,

I'm also probably going solo on my WHV - Melbourne bound. I'm thinking about going straight in to the seasonal work so I can get it out of the way and get a second WHV. Are you going to try and get a second visa? If so, it looks like WWOOFing is the best option, no pay but from the forums there seems to be plenty of people offering work (they give you accomodation and meals in exchange).

Dan

Guest RedSquirrel

when are you heading out danH?

I'm going to start in sydney and live in the city for a while but definitely going to labour for my 2nd year, i hear you can work with people similar to the forestry commission to get it which would be just great!

woofing is amazing i did 2 days of it at the end of my indonesia trip this summer, if i could have extended my visa i would have stayed longer!! hard work but great fun!

x

g'day...

I have just had my working holiday visa granted for a year in oz! very very exciting but due to a current break up i am doing it alone... which i hear is the best way to do it.

Any advice you lovely people would like to give me. I'm heading out in may hopefully!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

My advice, enjoy yourself.

Cheers, Bobj.

when are you heading out danH?

I'm not entirely sure, hopefully in the next 2/3 months, it depends on when I'm able to get away from my job here. Sydney sounds fun, albeit expensive - I hope you find work quickly!

Roofers - Alas not. It's Willing Work On Organic Farms, you're expected to work for 4-6 hrs a day in exchange for room and board. I think it sounds significantly better than fruit picking, which not only sounds like back breaking labour but also can apparently be quite scarce (meaning you might struggle to meet the 88 day requirement). Obviously the downside is you don't get paid, but the work seems plentiful and it's a new experience. Check out wwoof.com.au

Much better going on your own IMO, do want you want and go where you want without having to please a moody partner, I am jealous.

Guest AnnaStu

i was going to do fruitpicking to get my 2nd year but gave up after 2 days only! hard back breaking labour as DanH said and the pay is really bad. if u are lucky u get to work in a factory packing up tomatoes or fruits which is much better and u can easily do that for 3 months to get ur second visa! there are much better places in Vic. to do fruitpicking then in qld apparently. my advice: dont go to bundaberg!!! its like being in prison.:)

i was going to do fruitpicking to get my 2nd year but gave up after 2 days only!

Did you end up getting a 2nd WHV, or did you give up on it in the end? And did you notice if there was plentiful work, or was it quite scarce?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AnubisUK
I'm not entirely sure, hopefully in the next 2/3 months, it depends on when I'm able to get away from my job here. Sydney sounds fun, albeit expensive - I hope you find work quickly!

Roofers - Alas not. It's Willing Work On Organic Farms, you're expected to work for 4-6 hrs a day in exchange for room and board. I think it sounds significantly better than fruit picking, which not only sounds like back breaking labour but also can apparently be quite scarce (meaning you might struggle to meet the 88 day requirement). Obviously the downside is you don't get paid, but the work seems plentiful and it's a new experience. Check out wwoof.com.au

Hey mate, I've been told that if you work 9-5 Monday - Friday that actually counts as 7 days, rather than just 5, otherwise the hours wouldn't add up right, and you'd be doing 4.5 months as opposed to 3, but I can't be sure of that so you might want to check it out!

Like this thread!

I, like most of you here am going out on a WHV, 15th March, heading to Perth area on my billy as well lol.

There are alot of people in the same boat, and im just gonna go out there with an open mind, a massive smile and some Aussie dollars and see how it goes lol.

(Well ive organised just a little not too much tho)

Guest Bobby
Like this thread!

I, like most of you here am going out on a WHV, 15th March, heading to Perth area on my billy as well lol.

There are alot of people in the same boat, and im just gonna go out there with an open mind, a massive smile and some Aussie dollars and see how it goes lol.

(Well ive organised just a little not too much tho)

Have fun and stock up on condoms mate :cute: the aussie women love the poms.

Guest JamesP
Have fun and stock up on condoms mate :cute: the aussie women love the poms.

lol.sounds good. :D i am also heading out on my own in May on a WHV. See some relatives in Sydney and NSW, then take it from there. Hoping to get work in mining or construction, so i can get my 2nd year, as i am a Mobile plant operator by trade. Want to emigrate long term hopefully :)

Archived