Where in Sydney should we AVOID living

melaniecharlton

Hello,

My husband will be working in North Ryde and we want to rent accommodation (max $550 pw) not too far away from his work. Probably half an hour away by train or maybe a bit longer.

We were looking in the Hornsby region. However, what would make life easier is if we know which areas are dodgy so that we can avoid them.

We have 3 children ages 8 and 3 so good public schools are also important.

Thank you in advance,

Mel

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello,

My husband will be working in North Ryde and we want to rent accommodation (max $550 pw) not too far away from his work. Probably half an hour away by train or maybe a bit longer.

We were looking in the Hornsby region. However, what would make life easier is if we know which areas are dodgy so that we can avoid them.

Thank you in advance,

Mel

Hornsby is fine, or anywhere North of N Ryde. Avoid places like Parramatta.

Someone once told me, if you are a family live North of Chatswood, South of St Georges River, and West of Emu Plains.

With your budget for accommodation you could try suburbs like Hornsby, Thornleigh, Normanhurst. Beecroft and Pennant Hills might be within budget as may Wahroonga.

Cheers.

Paramatta, Redfern, Glebe, Granville,blacktown, bankstown in fact anywhere in the west is ****!

Have you looked at Mosman, Neutral bay, cremorne, or some places on the northern beaches like Frenches forest etc,

Actually Frenches forest is the perfect family suburb and the commute to the city is pretty reasonable too :)

For North Ryde I'd look North, east or South but avoid west for the best areas. 131500 Transport Infoline - Home will help with public transport options as you'll probably want to avoid transiting the CBD if working in North Ryde.

Despite what cbd says personally I think Glebe shouldn't included on the list of places to avoid as the inner west is generally well regarded and seems to becoming more popular by the month.

Glebe - ****? Are you sure??? Glebe is fantastic - so vibrant and loads of great cafes and bars!!!

Anywhere West is a bit of a large area - there are some real crap areas but depending on how far you go there are some nice areas too.

Hornsby is very popular with families as there are very good schools there but I would be amazed if you can get enough space for your family for your budget!! We seriously looked at Hornsby but coudn't afford it with a budget of $500 per week! Hope your luck is better than ours.

Hello,

Thank you in advance,

Mel

Hi Mel

I'd really suggest you try West Pennant Hills/Cherrybrook/Beecroft area rather than Hornsby as it's just as nice but it's closer and there are more rentals available. Also nearby Baulkham Hills is a bit cheaper and still very nice and has loads of rental choices (although perhaps not QUITE as nice as Cherrybrook). There are great schools in this general area.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gill1362

Hi guys we will have a similar budget of 550 ish a week. Just wondering what Glenwood, kellyville and surrounds are like or would they be out of our budget!

• 1 month later...
Guest dominic117

I've just moved to Epping and although it's only been a week, it's really quite nice. Also Epping station is a hub so trains going everywhere and can get the express to central which takes 28mins. I have lived in Greenwich and Artarmon on the north side and work in Thornleigh.

As mentioned Beecroft, pennant hills, cheltenham, normanhurst - all good alternatives to Hornsby and a little bit closer to your work. Those areas are very affordable compared to the north shore.

Got to agree - Glebe is nothing but lovely. The only thing sh!t about it is trying to park/drive down glebe pt rd in the middle of the day or on weekends!!

Thanks Dominic!

I actually always wondered what Epping was like as I have seen quite a few lovely affordable rental homes online there. What about Carlingford? Is that close to Epping? What about the schools?

I also wondered - are the roads and parking spaces bigger than the UK? Only because most people have such large cars in Oz.

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated,

xxx

Guest dominic117

Carlingford is quite close to Epping but I don't know it very well. If my train journey to work is anything to go by there are schools everywhere around here! I know that there is definitely several in epping, cheltenham (the next stop) and Normanhurst (1 stop before hornsby).

Epping has some really nice properties on leafy streets set back from the station, but close to the station is mainly units. I've only tried one thai restaurant in epping so far but it was excellent. Some nice little cafes are around that will hopefully get road tested on the weekend for breakfast.

Roads and car parking are the same as the UK as far as I can tell. Do you think people have bigger cars? I hadn't really noticed but I suppose they do like the 4x4's over here now you mention it.

Hope that helps

Guest sydneynurse

hey melaniecharlton...

i reckon you should choose somewhere in upper and lower north shore area...(i live in st leonards) little bit expensive but a great place to live,safe ,family friendly,lotz of restaurants,parks.

the suburbs anywhere in west sydney and kingscross area in eastern suburbs would the worst places to live in sydney i think!

Archived