Where in Sydney should we AVOID living

melaniecharlton

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:yes:I would say Parramatta,Dundas,Carlingford,Hurstville,Bankstown, parts of Kogarah would fall into that category along with many more.Thats why I would rent first then take a close look at the areas you are interested in.

Dundas & Carlingford would not be.

Thank you Sydney Nurse. Would Carlingford and Epping be part of West Sydney? I quite like the look and affordability of Pennant Hills and Beecroft. St Leonards looks lovely too but perhaps a bit out of our price range. Thanks a million for your input x

No those places are fine, Epping is quite popular Korean & Chinese but its far from a slum.

Guest sydneynurse
Ok have a look at this

Anywhere Green I would recommend

Anywhere Pink I would definitely avoid

Anywhere Blue I have no opinion but would for some reason does not make my green area.

of course its all up for debate as this is only my personal opinion.

awesome job!but differ re:hills area i reckon i should be blue:cute:

Guest sydneynurse
Thank you Sydney Nurse. Would Carlingford and Epping be part of West Sydney? I quite like the look and affordability of Pennant Hills and Beecroft. St Leonards looks lovely too but perhaps a bit out of our price range. Thanks a million for your input x

yup i agree with u pennant hills,beecroft rent is cheaper..!

Guest sydneynurse
Whats your reason for that?

one of my friend who lives there says so...

itz not a very child friendly area..lotz of robberies as well i heard

we r planning to buy a house/apmt in sydney and our price range is only 650000

we want to buy in northshore but looks like itz nevr gonna happen..very hard to buy even a 2 bedroom prperty within that range.so i looked around to see the cheaper suburbs,houses in hills area are fantastic,but our frenz told not to buy!!!!!!!!

we r planning to buy a house/apmt in sydney and our price range is only 650000

we want to buy in northshore but looks like itz nevr gonna happen..very hard to buy even a 2 bedroom prperty within that range.so i looked around to see the cheaper suburbs,houses in hills area are fantastic,but our frenz told not to buy!!!!!!!!

I live in Castle Hill and it's a great area, what suburb does your friend live in?

Guest dominic117

I drove through Carlingford and it does seem quite asian but I wouldn't say that's such a bad thing.

Epping does have quite a large korean population but so does artarmon along with a lot of japanese (5 restaurants and 2 grocery stores). I've lived in St Leonards as well and it's well overpriced. It's nice and close to Crows nest which is a great spot and just further down to waverton and wollstonecraft. These are not cheap places to rent or buy.

Castle Hill seems nice though, i'm not sure where the negativity comes from. Several people at my work live there or moved from other areas in to there and it has a large shopping centre. Transportation appears to be the only draw back and that's why I think you are on the right lines with Pennant Hills and Beecroft. Definitely an affordable and family friendly place.

There are asian, lebanese, indian, greek, ENGLISH (heaven forbid) people all over sydney. It is very multicultural and people often settle originally with fellow country folk and then as they have had children etc they have moved to other areas. I think it is one of the best parts of living in Australia and I would embrace it, you can't avoid it and I wouldn't want to.

Its very Asian around these areas.We have friends in both places who can not wait to move.The friend in Dundas has a daughter in school she is the only English speaking child in her class.

The ADF have properties in both areas and most of the families have asked to move.

Eastwood is very Asian, as is Denistone, South Epping & West Ryde. You are probably going a get a bit of creep into Dundas Valley and South Carlingford. But in general they are not a bad area, especially the areas near North Rocks/Pennant Hills road area.

I wouldnt say I wouldnt live there myself, but thats just my opnion and I tend to be a bit fussy when it comes to this sort of thing

Guest smeetab

Do NOT go anywhere near bankstown- i unfortunately live here (not a choice, partner's parents live here and we dont have enough to move out yet), we had a criminal in our back yard last week and a shooting down my road the week before!

Don't know where your friend lives but it must be in a different Hills to me! I've lived in the Hills District for 40 years, brought up 4 boys here, never had a robbery or any vandalism. In my opinion you couldn't find a better place to bring up children. Great schools, good shopping, restaurants, sporting clubs etc. The only things it lacks are good public transport and a beach - but there are plenty of swimming pools and the beach is only 30/45 minutes drive away.

I agree with Ellie2 - the Hills District is very nice. And who said Beecroft was affordable? I lived in Beecroft for 5 years and you would have to pay at least 800,000 for something decent unless you were prepared to put in a lot of work! If you are looking at renting, anything less than 600-700 per week is likely to be a dump. It is not that Beecroft is overpriced, just the properties are so big - 4-7 bedrooms is the norm and usually lots of land.

I wouldnt have thought St Leonards was a family area - I work there and everything bar Cabana Bar is dead after about 6pm when the workers go home. It is TERRIBLE for parking, the properties are nice but small with postage stamp gardens and there are no shops, unless you want to walk into Crows Nest.

Personally, when I am in a position to buy somewhere I will be comtemplating Thornleigh or Normanhurst - they are a bit further out than Beecroft/Pennant Hills and the properties seem cheaper as a result. There is a direct train into Sydney and there are some good schools in the area. I reckon you could get something there or Hornsby in your budget.

I think that from reading the above posts my intuition was right. So, I will look around the Hills area. Thanks everyone for your most valued input. I will definitely be showing my husband your opinions before he looks at renting. I dont think we would be able to buy in Sydney. If we did, we may have to look really far out along the coast.

Looking forward to our move in July - very exciting. This forum has been so informative.

THANK YOU

Don't know where your friend lives but it must be in a different Hills to me! I've lived in the Hills District for 40 years, brought up 4 boys here, never had a robbery or any vandalism. In my opinion you couldn't find a better place to bring up children. Great schools, good shopping, restaurants, sporting clubs etc. The only things it lacks are good public transport and a beach - but there are plenty of swimming pools and the beach is only 30/45 minutes drive away.

Probably Seven Hills (Blacktown) which is not the Hills.

The bus service is pretty good though, probably just as good if not better than the Northern Beaches, plus if/once the train is reintroduced in the next few years.

I lived in Dee Why for about 18 months when I first moved to Sydney and in my opinion I think the Hills is probably nicer than most of the Northern Beaches, I found the parking around Dee Why terrible especially on the weekends, old ...worn looking... overpriced apartments and strangely for the price of the area a lot of bogans.

Just remember this....... living near the beach was great at first, but it soon wears off (especially in the winter). I now prefer to drive to beaches on the central coast and actually drive the 4WD on to the sand.... so much better to slide off the seat feet straight into the sand ....Esky/Radio/beach chairs at hand.

• 1 month later...
Guest Orville

Hi,

We are hoping to move to Oz in the near future.., really looking forward to it.. My hubby's job will be in close proximity to Parramatta so I was wondering where would be a recommended family area as I have three children and would love to land them in the right area after moving them to the other side of the world.. :)

Would really appreciate any info I can get.. Thanks

Hi,

We are hoping to move to Oz in the near future.., really looking forward to it.. My hubby's job will be in close proximity to Parramatta so I was wondering where would be a recommended family area as I have three children and would love to land them in the right area after moving them to the other side of the world.. :)

Would really appreciate any info I can get.. Thanks

For ease of commute I would suggest Baulkham Hills, Winston Hills, Northmead or North Rocks. If he has an early start anywhere in the Hills District would be good.

My hubby used to work in North Ryde and we lived in Glenhaven, which is just north of Castle Hill. It was a fabulous place to live. It was one of those places where people knew each other and it had a great community feel. The primary school is excellent.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest Orville

Thank you Ellie2 and Rudi.. It is so confusing when your so far away trying to check out anything when you really don't have a clue.. We'll obviously have to rent initially and it's great to have an idea of where to concentrate our search as I don't want to have to move children around too much when we get there..

Guest Dave53

Great idea to rent .. Not only for the time it will give you to "explore " before you commit , but also that fact that house prices are on the drop and may continue for some time .. probably not a good investment at this time . I liked the coloured map posted some days ago . By and large I agree with all the comments and sentiments , however , there is a consensus that always revolves around certain races of people . This is a very multicultural society and mixing with all , no matter what race or creed is a fact of life here . I would rate a suburb firstly on crime statstics . It's a sad fact that some of Western Sydney suburbs are pretty bad , and more frightening is the rate of gun crime that is creeping in .. Another drive by shooting in Bonnyrigg last night for example ( A red zone on the map , and rightly so !! ) ..

Dave C

Hi, We land in Sydney in July with 2kids and 1dog. Was hoping to rent at the Northern Beaches Monta Vale or Newport my OH will be working in Chatswood, I gather there is no rail link. How long would the drive be? Thanks Tracey

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Orville

Thanks Dave53..

I'm not concerned about multi-culturism, would just like somewhere nice and safe with a fairly good school...

It's very difficult trying to check things out from here as west of Sydney looks very nice and affordable but having been on here that's for obvious reasons...!

Well, will keep on searching, thanks for help.. :confused:

Hi guys,

I started this thread and everyone has been so very helpful to us in making a decision. My hubby eventually found us a house in Berowra. We move this weekend. Exciting! The house is $550 pw and is good value compared to the houses in Pennant hills etc which are all boxes for that price.

Thanks again everyone

Much appreciated,

see you in Oz

Archived