Dis/advantages of taking driving lessons/ test in Uk and Oz?

Wellers and Whitehead

Guest siamsusie

It is certainly preferable to take your test in the UK in my opinion Different states have different requirements.

WA for eg.

Theory

Learners Permit

Driving lessons

Test

Hazard Test on the PC

Eye Test

50 odd hrs with a log book under supervision (if I remember correctly it was 25 hrs)

P Plates for 3 years

Restricted night driving

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/LBU_DL_FS_DrivingLaws_English.pdf

In WA if you have not held an overseas licence for 2 years than you are issued with P plates.

http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/licence_information_folder/transferring_an_overseas_licence

Susie

My partner is wanting to start driving lessons.. Shouldn't take too long to pass as can actually drive! What if he passed in the Uk what would happen in Oz for him to be able to drive there???

Thanks x

If you're migrating to Australia, once you become resident you are only permitted to drive on your overseas licence for 3 months, then you have to get an aussie one.

If you already have your overseas licence for 3+ years you only have to pass the driving test to get the full licence.

Guest siamsusie
If you're migrating to Australia, once you become resident you are only permitted to drive on your overseas licence for 3 months, then you have to get an aussie one.

If you already have your overseas licence for 3+ years you only have to pass the driving test to get the full licence.

In WA if you have not held an overseas licence for 2 years than you are issued with P plates. You do not need to re sit your test.....

Again this depends on state to state, in Tasmania it is entirely different, P plates last for a lesser period. A UK licence holder will not have to resit their test in Australia.

HGV drivers as far as I am aware will have to resit all their tests.

Susie

Guest paulintrigg

I agree with all of the above, you don't want to have to have p plates for 3 years. Technically, you do need to exchange your license for an aussie one once you've been here for longer than 3 months but in reality, you can get away with it for a lot longer, I've flashed my UK license to the cops during a random breath test on more than one occasion and they haven't even asked how long I've been here. I imagine you might get into trouble if you had a serious accident. One of my best mates has been here for 3 years and still hasn't bothered to change his over.

I agree with all of the above, you don't want to have to have p plates for 3 years. Technically, you do need to exchange your license for an aussie one once you've been here for longer than 3 months but in reality, you can get away with it for a lot longer, I've flashed my UK license to the cops during a random breath test on more than one occasion and they haven't even asked how long I've been here. I imagine you might get into trouble if you had a serious accident. One of my best mates has been here for 3 years and still hasn't bothered to change his over.

I believe (at least in NSW) you can simply exchange your drivers licence for eligible countries, such as UK.

Guest siamsusie

I wouldnt like to give any Insurance company reason to deny a claim!:wubclub:

What type of visa would you be coming out on? on a temporary visa you can keep driving on your UK license.

On a PR visa you have to exchange the license for an australian one, and since he won't have held it for two? years, he would be put onto P-plates.

What type of visa would you be coming out on? on a temporary visa you can keep driving on your UK license.

On a PR visa you have to exchange the license for an australian one, and since he won't have held it for two? years, he would be put onto P-plates.

We would be coming out on 176 pr to vic.. If all goes well and we get a thumbs up soon!!

When ppl say he would have to exchange for a Aussie license when we land.. Does that just mean putting p plates on or is anything else involved???

Thanks everybody! X

when you arrive, you have three months to get to the transport office. You fill out a form, show them your ID, proof of address and UK license, pay the fee and they'll issue you with a local license. In your partner's case, it will be a provisional license.

Guest siamsusie

Overseas drivers - licences : VicRoads

If you have entered Victoria on a permanent visa issued under the Migration Act 1958, you may drive on your overseas driver licence for:

• six months from the date you first entered Australia if the permanent visa was issued before you entered Australia; or,
  • six months from the date when the permanent visa was issued to you if the permanent visa was issued to you whilst in Australia.

Victorian full driver licence

To obtain a Victorian full driver licence you must have held and provide evidence that you have held an overseas driver licence for at least three years from your 18th birthday. Your overseas driver licence must be current or not expired by more than five years. Any period where you have been suspended or disqualified from driving is excluded when calculating the period of time you have held a licence.

Victorian probationary driver licence

You must be at least 18 years of age to obtain a Victorian probationary driver licence. No age exemptions apply. If you have held an overseas driver licence for less than three years, an appropriate probationary period (P1 or P2) will apply, depending on your age and the amount of time your overseas driver licence has been held (you must provide evidence). Any period where you have been suspended or disqualified from driving is excluded when calculating the period of time you have held a licence.

I have just goggled this for you guys.... yet again another state and other rules.. lol... hope this helps Susie

Archived