Brisbane: Straight, single bloke seeks friends for beers, banter & trips to the beach

Guest Matt from Matlock

Guest Matt from Matlock

Hello all,

I've just returned to Brisbane, after training as a teacher in the UK. I spent 2 years there and nearly ended up staying, but saw the light and returned to Brissie - just in time for the floods!

I've always found the Aussies to be a friendly bunch but conversationally a bit hard going, as my knowledge of big engines, AFL and fishing is somewhat limited! I never thought about looking for like-minded Brits before, who might be up for a few beers and a bit of banter, as well as sharing costs of the occasional weekend trip down to the 'Goldie' or up the 'Sunny'. I like a bit of surfing every now and then, although as soon as I try and stand up you can tell immediately that I'm a Pom! :-o

Any information on regular meet-ups in the area would also be appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers, Matt.

Hi Matt,

There's a Brisbane group that gets together most months (look for threads called Brisbanites) - mostly family BBQ type stuff, there's one at Redcliffe next Saturday, just PM me if you'd like the details. I've seen a few similar activities for Sunshine Coast mentioned here so worth trawling through to find out who organises them and get put on any mailing lists. Like I said, quite family orientated but I went along by myself (I'm a single mum and didn't have a child with me those times) and was made welcome, so you may make some contacts that way.

If you like football (soccer) I think there is a group that meets up to watch EPL games sometimes, on another meetup site. Or maybe try going to a few Roar games, you might make some Aussie friends too.

Guest happycrappy
Hi Matt,

There's a Brisbane group that gets together most months (look for threads called Brisbanites) - mostly family BBQ type stuff, there's one at Redcliffe next Saturday, just PM me if you'd like the details. I've seen a few similar activities for Sunshine Coast mentioned here so worth trawling through to find out who organises them and get put on any mailing lists. Like I said, quite family orientated but I went along by myself (I'm a single mum and didn't have a child with me those times) and was made welcome, so you may make some contacts that way.

If you like football (soccer) I think there is a group that meets up to watch EPL games sometimes, on another meetup site. Or maybe try going to a few Roar games, you might make some Aussie friends too.

I've searched for Brisbanites and can't find anything current, where do I look?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MADTOM

Hi Matt

Small world we are from Matlock too. Moved to Adelaide last year!

Hope you meet some new friends:cute:

• 4 months later...
Guest paul8181

Hi matt!

hows your quest to find some after work drinking buddies going ? i have just accepted a job in brisbane and will be landing october at some point. I'm from the south of England but i have been working in Birmingham for last 7 years and have had a night out in Matlock! I'll be looking at joining a rugby union team and a 5-a-side football team but would be good to have a few chaps to go to watch the rugby/preimiership or just a few drinks on a weekend!

get in touch if your still looking for drinking partners!

Paul

• 5 months later...

Archived