55 plus

soul

HI all just want to tell you what happened to me last week,and I am sure you wont believe me but here goes.

I did an assessment on line and I received a call from a visa agent. As you can see I am 55 years of age and the visa gentleman told me that australia does not want people over the age of 40,and he also told me that on the 1st of september the australian government will be making things even harder for people my age who want to live and work in australia.

I could not beleive what I was hearing, I dont think the government of australia will be too happy knowing that this gentleman is giving people like me this information.

IT is very difficult for people like me to be allowed to live and work in australia but I have a house to sell and other money to bring with me to australia,but the government are asking us for too much,after all I dont earn mega money here in scotland ,in fact I am not asking the australian government for anything just want to live and work in their lovely country.

val.

Hi Val

To a certain extent this visa person was right. Australia does limit the age for most skilled visas to under 45 (not 40) however I believe there are other visas for over 55's but these do require you to have pretty large assets and income.

I would suggest you try another agent who might be able to advise you on these.

Good luck!

HI LYNANDSEAN and ALEX thank you for your reply.

I did know about the retiree visa before I did the assessment, but I just wanted to hear it from the horses mouth[so to speak].

Even if australia does not want people my age, he should not have said that to me, what he could have said was ,that if you dont have $ 2 million australian dollars in your pocket to bring with you to australia then you have no chance.

I am divorced so I just wanted to know that if a married couple were the same age as myself, and wanted to retire to australia like me would they need to have $ 4 million australian dollars as they are a couple ? what is the guide lines regarding this?

I just dont seem to get the full story , it just seems to me that australia does not want people like me to live and work in australia.

I have friends in melbourne but they are not allowed to help me,. so I will have to find another avenue.I wont give up there must be a way through this.

thanks again for your support.

val .

HI VAL SORRY TO HEAR YOUR HAVING PROBLEMS - AT 55 YOU ARE STILL A YOUNG WOMAN AND SHOULD BE TREATED WITH MORE RESPECT .I AM GOING TO SEND YOU A PRIVATE MESSAGE WITH A WEBSITE FOR SOME INFO REGARDING FEES ETC AS I THINK YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN WRONG INFO FROM THIS SO CALLED GENTLEMAN :arghh:

• 2 weeks later...

we are in the same boat we are two 45+ and have a house to sell and money to bring in , but we have been told we need a business sponser .

HI Hays,

I dont have any news,I am still trying to find a way to live and work in australia.

But it seems to me my only option is to find myself an australian husband, I just cant see a way through this.

55 and over the hill according to some people, but I wont give up there must be a way but at the moment I just cant find it.

val.

oh bu**er. I was hoping you had had some news...........what about going via new zealand? the age limit is 55 i think........

its the long way round, but may be a way into Oz. Is there nobody that will sponsor you?

hays

HI PREDDY,

I also have a house to sell but no one wants 55 plus.I have friends in melbourne but they cant sponsor me as it has to be a family member.

I have a son who is a joiner and a daughter who is a qualified nursery nurse but they dont want to go to oz ,so I will be going on my own.

I was a 10 pound pom in 1973 and lived and worked in melbourne,returned to scotland 1975 because my oh at the time was homesick and being an obedient wife returned to scotland with him ,knowing that leaving australia was a big mistake and I have regretted it ever since.

but now I want to have a better life for myself because my son and daughter have their own lives to live so I am doing it for myself. val. .

I am sorry that you have to go through this. Although the regulations are strict (and nonsensical), my gut feelings is that there must be some loop hole. Do try to ring round different agents to seek advice.

As far as I have read, if I am successful in my application to migrate to Melbourne, I will not be able to bring my elderly parents as they are deemed as a 'burden' and 'not of economic value'.

My partner, unfortunately, has to apply to on his own as well as we have not been together for long enough to go for the interdependency visa.

I wish you best of luck. Otherwise, as someone else has suggested, NZ is another lovely option.

Kind regards

V

Guest Gollywobbler
HI Hays,

I dont have any news,I am still trying to find a way to live and work in australia.

But it seems to me my only option is to find myself an australian husband, I just cant see a way through this.

55 and over the hill according to some people, but I wont give up there must be a way but at the moment I just cant find it.

val.

Hi Val

Sweetie, please think twice about marrying an Aussie merely in order to move there. He might turn out to be Godzilla! My sister's Aussie Pa in Law would snap up any woman who would have him, I suspect. I quite like the old goat but I barely know him and NOTHING would persuade me to get hitched to the lecherous old git merely in order to move to Oz..... Blinking nothing.

Would you like an introduction to him? He must be cracking on for 80, I should think....

Cheers

Gill

Guest leanneandmark

Gill,

i love reading your posts, my mother is desperate to come to oz and at 50, with a 9yr old daughhter is also struggling with little or no options. Marriage to an aussie is certainly high on her hopes but pushing 80. hmm lovey i don't think she'd quite go for that one !!!!:twitcy:

Guest Gollywobbler

IPS: I forgot to mention that sister's Pa in Law is a short git as well. I'm 5'4". He's about the same.

This fails completely to tally with my idea of the Tall Hairy Hero, but the THH was a total failure as well.... Good looking, muscly but divorced and a complete wimp emotionally.

"I'm not good at commitment" said he. "Trot off and get lost then," said I. I think he would like to come back to the party but is scared of my ferocity.

As for the short-assed Aussie geriatric whom Elaine and I would both DEFO sell to the highest bidder for the lecherous old codger.....

We'd entertain a few offers for the old goat.

I'm beginning to think that we should get a goat-pen, stick him in it and then auction him, maybe????? :Randy-git:

Cheers

Gill:smile:

Why not take a holiday for a couple of months out there, it doesnt have to cost a fortune and you never know you might just meet the right person. The RSL and other clubs will let you in by just showing your passport and theres a good mix of ages in the ones I went in and the meals are very good value. If you want to see different towns etc the REX air pass allows unlimited flights for about £200 for a month.

HI GRAHAM,

Thanks for the info,I think that is a great idea,I have never been to a rsl club but I will keep it in mind.

DID not know about the rex air pass either, you have given me a lot of good advice.

Being on this web site is just great as people are very willing to help.

I dont know what we would do without pio.

val.

Some of the clubs are amazing, we chugged on REX airlines SAAB planes to lots of places and I have just looked at their web site and they fly to even more places from Oct. Feed Rex airlines into google, we chugged from Sydney airport to Ballina/Byron Bay had a hire car for a couple of days (I prebooked through holiday autos cost about £25 a day at all places we went to) then drove north to Brisbane and Noosa, however it was late and ended up not far from Byron Bay at Tweed Heads, feed in Twin Towns Services Club into google, all the entertainments free and it was packed, what a night!

HELLO OLD POM,

Thank you for your kind words, it means so much when someone like you takes the time to send me a wee note of encouragement.

I wont give up , it means too much ,I will get there I just have to keep looking for a way through .

val.

Archived