New Points Test - VETASSESS element

Nick UK

Hi, assuming I scored 65 or more points under the new system would positive VETASSESS skill assessment still be a requirement? Basically, up until now I never scored enough points anyway due to lack of Diploma etc. However, under the new system I will benefit as I've been in my profession for 8 out of the last 10 years so the new system is good for me. The problem I had previously was that VETASSESS wouldn't give me a positive skills assessment due to lack of equivalent qualifications. But given the new system if I score enough points would I be ok or would my lack qualifications ruin the party again?

Guest sivakumar
Hi, assuming I scored 65 or more points under the new system would positive VETASSESS skill assessment still be a requirement? Basically, up until now I never scored enough points anyway due to lack of Diploma etc. However, under the new system I will benefit as I've been in my profession for 8 out of the last 10 years so the new system is good for me. The problem I had previously was that VETASSESS wouldn't give me a positive skills assessment due to lack of equivalent qualifications. But given the new system if I score enough points would I be ok or would my lack qualifications ruin the party again?

I reckon still you need to have skill assessment from Vetassess

Yes you do need a skills assessment, even under the new points test. While on face value it may show no points for occupation in the points table, but to quote this document "Points will no longer be awarded on the basis of an applicant’s occupation, but all applicants must still nominate an occupation on the applicable Skilled Occupation List"

The sentence in bold is synonymous with saying "you must have a positive skills assessment for an occupation listed on the SOL at the time of application".

Hi Twister thanks for your reply.

What I'm a bit confused about is how one can pass the new points test but yet still fail simply for not having a Diploma - regardless of what that Diploma is in? If someone has 8 years out of the last 10 working experience in their occupation then clearly they have the skills appropriate for that occupation. It seems a bit odd to me to fail them based on 'skills assessment' ie. not having a Diploma in Bee Keeping or History of Art! Doesn't make sense at all and all rather depressing!

Archived