What to do what to do

Pauly

Hello everyone

Right I'm a single 24 yr old from Liverpool. I have no criminal record and I have a 2:2 BA Hons, I've had a mixture of jobs since uni and have been stuck in a warehouse since I left so don't have a skill. I actually wish I done a trade :sad:

Now I've made my mind up their is nothing over here for me and nothing keeping me here. I think Oz could be the place for me. However, I doubt very much I'd qualify for permanent residency without a skill or trade.

I'm thinking whether to stay here and try for an apprenticeship (very doubtful at my age) or just bite the bullet and go to Oz on a working holiday visa and hope for the best!!!

What do people think?

Guest Burchos
Hello everyone

Right I'm a single 24 yr old from Liverpool. I have no criminal record and I have a 2:2 BA Hons, I've had a mixture of jobs since uni and have been stuck in a warehouse since I left so don't have a skill. I actually wish I done a trade :sad:

Now I've made my mind up their is nothing over here for me and nothing keeping me here. I think Oz could be the place for me. However, I doubt very much I'd qualify for permanent residency without a skill or trade.

I'm thinking whether to stay here and try for an apprenticeship (very doubtful at my age) or just bite the bullet and go to Oz on a working holiday visa and hope for the best!!!

What do people think?

Hi

It's never too late to gain a trade qualification. My husband went back to college to get his carpentry qualification at the age of 32. It was two nights a week over two years. That is how we are now getting out to oz. Just waiting for our visa grant.

Good luck

Hi Burchos and thank you for reply :)

I suppose you are right, a little hard work and before you know it you have a trade. Did work experience in carpentry not matter?

I suppose I could go to Oz for a year, get a feel for it and come home and do a course!

Guest Burchos
Hi Burchos and thank you for reply :)

I suppose you are right, a little hard work and before you know it you have a trade. Did work experience in carpentry not matter?

I suppose I could go to Oz for a year, get a feel for it and come home and do a course!

Work in the building trade does help, but I don't think it is essential to get on the course. You will need work experience as well as qualification for your Oz visa though.

We both went out to Oz when we were 24 on a working holiday visa and had the best time ever. The bug to go back has never left us and we are now in our early 40's.

Go for it and enjoy a working holiday out there. You can always get a trade when you come back. You have time on your side.

I don't think I can lose if I go for a working visa, I may find I love it I may find I hate it, nothing lost apart from a bit of money and job that's low paid.

Could look for sponsorship whilst I'm there too!

Good luck with your adventure btw :)

You'l have your work cut out getting an apprentiship now Pauly,its GRIM for work!

No offence to Burchos but if i had a degree i personally would NOT get involved in the building trade for one,but thats just me.

If your a bright lad you might find an employer over there if your on a whv to sponsor you or train you up in something a bit more relevant to your degree?im not 100% how these new visas work tbh or if thats poss,but i wouldnt do a trade apprentiship,IF you do,DONT do bricklaying!! all the best anyway

Guest Burchos
You'l have your work cut out getting an apprentiship now Pauly,its GRIM for work!

No offence to Burchos but if i had a degree i personally would NOT get involved in the building trade for one,but thats just me.

If your a bright lad you might find an employer over there if your on a whv to sponsor you or train you up in something a bit more relevant to your degree?im not 100% how these new visas work tbh or if thats poss,but i wouldnt do a trade apprentiship,IF you do,DONT do bricklaying!! all the best anyway

No offence taken. You are quite right. The building game is a hard one, especially at the moment.

Yeah I know a few brickies here and they aren't bricklaying.

My degree is leisure and tourism, not the best I know lol, I just went with the flow as a teen and kind of regret it now. Yeh I was thinking that, get over there and look for sponsorship. Only have one shot at that though because your only allowed one WHV

blue or red by the way Pablo, got to be asked :tongue:

No offence taken. You are quite right. The building game is a hard one, especially at the moment.

Thx Burchos,it is hard in every way,on your joints,your back etc,hard because in my case theres hardly any brick buildings go up anymore,its all facade,glass,marble,or tiled brickwork like all the McDonalds are,people are offering prices from back in the 90's etc,maybe management might be worth giving a go,QS or something like that,but i dont advise anyone to get involved in the building now(my nephew was talking about it,i soon put him right lol!)not in the uk anyway.

Yeah I know a few brickies here and they aren't bricklaying.

My degree is leisure and tourism, not the best I know lol, I just went with the flow as a teen and kind of regret it now. Yeh I was thinking that, get over there and look for sponsorship. Only have one shot at that though because your only allowed one WHV

blue or red by the way Pablo, got to be asked :tongue:

Look at me photo albums Pauly,they'l give yer a clue:biggrin:,dont knock your degree mate,IF it leads to work its served its purpose,like i say,hope it all works out ticketyboo mate

Look at me photo albums Pauly,they'l give yer a clue:biggrin:,dont knock your degree mate,IF it leads to work its served its purpose,like i say,hope it all works out ticketyboo mate

I don't have permission mate, probably have to have more posts to do so.

Yeh I suppose I shouldn't, it was 3 years.......err more like 2 months of hard work after all haha. Thanks for advice Pablo!!!

I don't have permission mate, probably have to have more posts to do so.

Yeh I suppose I shouldn't, it was 3 years.......err more like 2 months of hard work after all haha. Thanks for advice Pablo!!!

Soz mate,should have clicked re the albums,im a rednose,season tckt since 76,packed it all in after athens 07 to put £ to emmigration

Soz mate,should have clicked re the albums,im a rednose,season tckt since 76,packed it all in after athens 07 to put £ to emmigration

Argh I'm a bluenose :tongue:

Funny old season eh, both had an awful start yet we sit 6th and 7th

Argh I'm a bluenose :tongue:

Funny old season eh, both had an awful start yet we sit 6th and 7th

Everton dont bother me tbh,the other two lads in our 2+1 are blues,i allways end up pairing up with bluenoses somehow:rolleyes::laugh:.

Rite im off to watch ncstle pinch a 2-2 with man utd:wideeyed::unsure:,i'l catch yer Pauly!

Everton dont bother me tbh,the other two lads in our 2+1 are blues,i allways end up pairing up with bluenoses somehow:rolleyes::laugh:.

Rite im off to watch ncstle pinch a 2-2 with man utd:wideeyed::unsure:,i'l catch yer Pauly!

Same here I can have good convo about football with anyone, some just try and antagonise and that goes for both fans, I have no time for it.

Yeh should be a good game, nice one and take it easy!

Guest guest30085
Hello everyone

What do people think?

Hi Paul

To be honest due to your age and having no ties - I would opt for the WHV - go and do the 3 months rural work first that will then allow you to apply for the 2nd year WHV.

The new points system appears to be far more favourable for degrees rather than Trades certificates or diplomas etc. After the rural working for 3 months you then could have upto 21 months to find yourself a sponsor on a 457 Temporary Visa. Although you can only work for six months for any one employer on the WHV - you could build up relevant work experience through various jobs.

Hotel or Tourism Management did/does still appear on some of the lists. I will try to add the links in a bit. Once you have clocked up some relevant experience you may be in a far better position to apply for a further visa.

You could start working in hotels/restaurants/leisure complexes etc or you could even get some work within a Travel Agency/Tour Operator as a Project/Program Coordinator or a Contracting Executive and then build up your experience towards more management roles - you will need to check the lists to see what is on there in the future and hope to secure work that will help towards a visa after your WHVs finish.

Im sure it all wont be in vain - but at the moment (as already mentioned) it seems that a lot of Trades are struggling and the new points system in July certainly doesnt seem to be fair to Tradies.

Best of luck and most of all - enjoy your adventure xx

I don't think I can lose if I go for a working visa, I may find I love it I may find I hate it, nothing lost apart from a bit of money and job that's low paid.

Could look for sponsorship whilst I'm there too!

Good luck with your adventure btw :)

This is exactly what I done Pauly. Just came over on WHV, done some rough jobs, im now in job were I may get sponsored but not sure if ill take it as I miss home. However as you say nothing lost apart from a few quid and a low paid job. I now have got rid of any nagging doubts that would have lingered with me about living in Oz if I hadnt of given it a go.

All the best in your decision.

Nephew had no trade mate, he came here on a WHV and has now found someone who will sponsor him. It has been a bit of a slog for him, he's had to work away from us over in QLD and has stayed in plenty of hostels & backpackers but, 18 months later, he's sorted.

He does have to stay where his sponsor is based for a couple of years but then he can go wherever.

adonna thank you for taking your time out with that lengthy reply, that is music to my ears :) I'm definitely going to go now and just save save save.

When you say the rural work for 3 months which I have heard about, I take it that it is fruit picking etc. Now is their a best time to go for such work or pretty much all year round and what's the score on accommodation with rural work?

Will not have a driving license hold me back and should I get one before I go?

Guest JT1977

I think the fact that you have no ties is the big factor here. Go for it, even if you hate it, you can at least say that you have done it.

"It's better to regret something you did, than something that you didn't do."

In other words, the rest of your life, you would be wondering what if?

This is the appoach I have taken, left UK on good terms not slagging it etc so that if I do return it wont be with egg on my face.

Pauly, save as much as you can, I certainly needed a lot to find my feet as I couldnt get work for few weeks and had to pay a bond, car etc. I know of a couple who loved Oz but had to go home as they found it hard to find work and hadnt brought enough money to keep them afloat whilst unemployed.

Yeh I don't hate it over here I'm grateful I'm from England but need a fresh start.

How much would you say is enough to go over with?

£2000? £3000? £4000?

I dont hate UK either just fancied a change and decided to give it a go when young, free, single and no commitments.

Well, I came with almost 4OOO sterling and was more than half way through it before I started working, even contemplated on cutting my losses and doin bit of travel if I couldnt find work and before $$$ ran out. Didnt want to come whole way here and see relatively nothing. Luckily I got work and gradually built my funds up again.

I really wouldnt recommend coming with less than 3000, just to give you bit more breathing space if job hunt is slow. However I know of 1s to come out with less, get work quickly and be sorted. Me personally I prefer to have the extra cushion just in case.

Your circumstances are very similar to my own about 18 months ago, just wish I had found this site to help me with some decisions before making the move as there is lots of good info on here.

I dont hate UK either just fancied a change and decided to give it a go when young, free, single and no commitments.

Well, I came with almost 4OOO sterling and was more than half way through it before I started working, even contemplated on cutting my losses and doin bit of travel if I couldnt find work and before $$$ ran out. Didnt want to come whole way here and see relatively nothing. Luckily I got work and gradually built my funds up again.

I really wouldnt recommend coming with less than 3000, just to give you bit more breathing space if job hunt is slow. However I know of 1s to come out with less, get work quickly and be sorted. Me personally I prefer to have the extra cushion just in case.

Your circumstances are very similar to my own about 18 months ago, just wish I had found this site to help me with some decisions before making the move as there is lots of good info on here.

Suppose its luck isn't it, could go with £1000 and find a job straight away or go with £3000 and struggle. Think if I get to £3000 I'll go with that, I just want to book my flights so I can't back out and it forces me to save.

Yeh your right, great website with great info from people that have been there and done that, including yourself. Just got to keep focused on this now and go for it!

Archived