Driving

Pauly

Looking at going to Oz on a working holiday visa and was wandering whether it is important to be able to drive in Oz.

I currently don't drive and if I have to learn it'll set me back going to Oz by a few months. I also don't even know if I can use the licence in Oz being a new driver.

So the question is do I bite the bullet and just get to Oz or do I learn to drive????

Dunno 'bout the ins and outs of of it all TBH.Just don't worry too much about your ability to drive here.Once you get a licence,you can do whatever you wish on the road!Tailgating,speeding,cutting in,undertaking and discourteous driving are the expected norm here.Just put on your Devils Horns before you switch the Engine on,you'll be alright.:wink:

Guest Guest31881
Looking at going to Oz on a working holiday visa and was wandering whether it is important to be able to drive in Oz.

I currently don't drive and if I have to learn it'll set me back going to Oz by a few months. I also don't even know if I can use the licence in Oz being a new driver.

So the question is do I bite the bullet and just get to Oz or do I learn to drive????

I would suggest to anyone coming here to have a driving license, Once you have a "Full license" you can use it in Australia. But you will find it is a very big country if you cannot drive.

I guess it all depends on whether you are going to go for a driving job when you get here or even if you are going to purchase a car. If you are not doing either I would say no. Most backpackers bus or train it to differnet cities or fly. You will always meet more travellers usually heading in the same direction or have already been there and know the cheapest way to get there. I do agree, it is a big place and it is easier to get around by car but i don't think its essential. All depends on what and where you are planning on doing. Good luck on what ever you decide and enjoy yourself

If you are looking to drive in Oz then I'd say get your UK licence before you come. What sort of work are you looking at doing?

Looking at farm work or similar to get my visa extension for the option of a second year, after that I have no preference.

Thanks for helpful replies, I really don't know what to do! I just want to get to Oz asap really!

Have you looked into the intensive one week courses, where they train you all week full time and then you take the test at the end of the week? If you think most people take between 10-20 lessons before taking their test, thats not very different, so it doesn't have to take a long time.

Just google 'intensive driving course' in your area.

I couldnt imagine living here and not being able to drive. Its hard to cpmprehend how spread out the place is until you are here and see it. There is so much to see and do but lots of the best stuff isnt accesible via public transport so id be doing my test asap.

Cal x

Guest chris955

It can be very hard without a license, public transport isnt great so if it is possible I would try and get one.

I cant drive due to medical reasons, and found the transport good. I have travelled up the east coast (several times) and went by bus. Oz is a massive country and ideally best if u can drive, however it is not essential. Depends what u will be doing? research on where u want to go and the transport available.

Enjoy!

If you were planning on doing nothing but travel and sightsee you would get on fine with no licence and no car. But as you are planning on staying in one spot for a bit and working you may find it difficult without a car. Australia is layed out completely differently. The cities are much bigger and the urban sprawl is a good 100 kilometers in each direction.

Having said all of that, look into the cost of getting your licence, getting a car over there, insuring it, servicing it, putting fuel into it. It may become prohibitively expensive.

I grew up in Australia and I got my full licence on my 18th birthday, as did all of my friends. Very few people choose to live there without being able to drive.

Only just got online but thanks for taking the time to post a reply everyone.

I think I'm just going to go without a license and go with the flow. I highly doubt I'll be buying a car when I'm there and will hopefully just get by ok without the need. Probably need a license for a minimum time to rent vehicles anyway so I most probably will not be allowed to do that either.

I just want to book my flights really, save and get over there!

Archived