IELTS-not taken any notice of comments written due2not needing2do it..up until now!

My OH has submitted an application to both VIC and WA, more optomistic about hearing back from WA, as been waiting since 4th November 2010 from VIC.

If those both fail, I am a Social Worker and about to submit my skills assessment form in when completed.(Got some questions that need clarifying before I do so- on a previous thread about AASW form) Very worried about not recievig it back and send getting DIAC form in on time, very likely I wont get it back in time of the July deadline.

Hence the need to know how hard the IELTS is. I understand there are several acedemic and something else. HOw does it all work? How easy is it to pass? (Get 8) Do you have to be a rocket scientist to get 8 in all 4?

Thanks In Advance,

Aymie

Aymie, there are two IELTS tests, general and academic and most people will just need to do the general.

It is not that difficult for a native speaker; the speaking section is just having a conversation and the listening involves listening to very short bursts of taped conversation and answering some simple questions about what was said. No time for day dreaming but it is quite easy for a native if you pay attention.

Reading and writing are a little more challenging and please do not get upset about my next comment, but you will need to brush up on your spelling and grammar beforhand if you need to get an 8.

Good luck.

offence..not offense ha

:wink:

I was going to say that but you picked up yourself. Also it's grammar not grammer. Writing not writting. If you think you might lose a mark for each little mistake, you can see how easy it would be to miss out on an 8.

I would recommend that you take a little more care with punctuation and sentence construction, make sure you read everything back properly and leave enough room to make corrections if required.

As far as I know, DIAC never asks for academic IELTS, it is the skills assessing body that might do this. So you need to check with whomever does SW skills assessment. There are currently only two occupations I can think of that require academic IELTS and that is nursing and accountancy. Maybe teaching does too, not sure.

:wink:

I was going to say that but you picked up yourself. Also it's grammar not grammer. Writing not writting. If you think you might lose a mark for each little mistake, you can see how easy it would be to miss out on an 8.

I would recommend that you take a little more care with punctuation and sentence construction, make sure you read everything back properly and leave enough room to make corrections if required.

As far as I know, DIAC never asks for academic IELTS, it is the skills assessing body that might do this. So you need to check with whomever does SW skills assessment. There are currently only two occupations I can think of that require academic IELTS and that is nursing and accountancy. Maybe teaching does too, not sure.

and pharmacy

I got the IELTS 8 book and practice CD from ebay, they also sell them on Amazon. I think it's worth getting them just for practice and to know what to expect. I'm planning to re-sell them on ebay afterwards to contribute towards cost.

I have my test on Saturday!

I've found this site pretty good for IELTS practise (imho), it marks the listening and reading tests for you to let you know what you would get, the writing and speaking it doesn't mark, but gives you an idea of what you have to do.

http://www.canadavisa.com/ielts/free-practice-tests.html

There is a really good thread on here about the tests, with an examiner commenting on someone's response - I think it was called 'IELTS help' or something, so try a search for that :) If you can't find it, I have a copy of the example and marking comments for the writing, so can send you a copy if needed.

Hope that helps :)

Guest VickyMel

When my OH was doing his IELTS I searched and found several online test examples - where you can do the test with similar timings for some of the sections.

It was really useful to do the examples and he just kept at them until he was getting high scores.

Some occupations need the academic IELTS (such as nurses) given you are a social worker I would double check whether you need to or not.

My OH did the academic although he did not need to - he found it easier than the general. He works with graphs etc a lot so it was easy for him to write about the graph or table appropriately. So if you are from a sciency background it may be worth taking a look at to see which you prefer.

A couple of old threads that might be of interest?

I notice you are a social worker - there was a lady from an agency in VIC looking for social workers a couple of years ago - the details were in the employment section.

Plus on an older VIC SS thread (2009) there were a couple of social workers going to VIC using SS and VIC had to develop guidelines as to what they were looking for.

If you would have sufficient points is it any use you sticking in a VIC SS application - or at least keeping it as an option - unusual occupation applications to VIC often hear back quickly?

Good luck Vicky

Archived