Anyone else waiting for Wanted Down Under to Film this week?

Guest jaime

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would pop on a quick update.

We are filming the UK part of the show on Monday and Tuesday and it has been a mad rush getting everything sorted for Leanne and Claire to come down to film. You would not believe the permission required to film in public places.

We had our flights booked yesterday with Emirates and we fly out on the 21st August for a week. They asked if we wanted extra time over there but with us having already booked Florida with friends on the 18th September more time off was impossible.

The better half is a bit apprehensive but I am looking forward to it. Should be a laugh at least.

One thing we had to be careful of was that we applied for our 176 on 07th June and if they had applied for a holiday visa for us it would have cancelled the 176 automatically on the DIAC system. I am now hoping against hope that the 176 is approved before we go. Case officers seem to be appointed to applications from that period and we have our medicals booked for 13th July so everything is crossed. Would be nice if the BBC pays for the validation trip eh?

Si

Thought I would pop on a quick update.

We are filming the UK part of the show on Monday and Tuesday and it has been a mad rush getting everything sorted for Leanne and Claire to come down to film. You would not believe the permission required to film in public places.

We had our flights booked yesterday with Emirates and we fly out on the 21st August for a week. They asked if we wanted extra time over there but with us having already booked Florida with friends on the 18th September more time off was impossible.

The better half is a bit apprehensive but I am looking forward to it. Should be a laugh at least.

One thing we had to be careful of was that we applied for our 176 on 07th June and if they had applied for a holiday visa for us it would have cancelled the 176 automatically on the DIAC system. I am now hoping against hope that the 176 is approved before we go. Case officers seem to be appointed to applications from that period and we have our medicals booked for 13th July so everything is crossed. Would be nice if the BBC pays for the validation trip eh?

Si

Lots of luck Si,, as ive said before, just be yourselves and you do forget the cameras are there after a while.

Cal x

Guest guest37336
Lots of luck Si,, as ive said before, just be yourselves and you do forget the cameras are there after a while.

Cal x

This is something I have often wondered about Cal.

You see some of these programmes, (reality, docos etc) and think (I) do they ever really forget the cameras are there, or does it become part of the daily routine and get used to it in some way.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Hey Si, are you sure a holiday visa cancels the 176? It's something to look into encase your visa isn't granted by then, but I know whist we are waiting for our 176 we can go on a working holiday visa and it won't affect our application.

Thanks & good luck for next week, Lucy.

Don't get upset when they show you the 10million dollar house with the pool and tell you you can't afford it even if one if you go and work fulltime:biglaugh:

Just tell them you can't move to Oz because your furniture won't fit in the house, Just like the guy on the last series:wink:

Hey Si, are you sure a holiday visa cancels the 176? It's something to look into encase your visa isn't granted by then, but I know whist we are waiting for our 176 we can go on a working holiday visa and it won't affect our application.

Thanks & good luck for next week, Lucy.

I think its more the case that it cancels any outstanding applications rather than an approved visa.

I asked Amy at BBC to check with her contact for the holiday visa's and they confirmed that it was the case. It may have been something to do with it being an e-visa but glad I checked with them just in case.

As for houses, I am not too concerned with what they show us tbh. We live in an ex-council house here and are more concerned about being in a nice neighbourhood. By nice I don't mean massive houses with people up their own ar**s but an area where people are hardworking and honest and are happy to say hello if they pass you in the street. Much more valuable to us than a house.

We do okay in the UK because I have a good career but neither of us forget that we grew up on a council estate and live on one even if a lot of it is privately owned now. The ones that really annoy me are those who came from humble beginnings and turn their nose up at their past because they have "made it". My parents worked bloody hard to make sure we had everything we needed and I could never even dream of disrespecting them that way. Due to their hard work and sacrifice us three boys all ended up at University (two of us as mature students due to military service at a young age) simply because of the example they set us.

Pool would be nice though!!!!!!:biggrin:

Si

Guest jmahood
Unfortunately the show's gone downhill a lot since calNgary were on it. If you really want to get on the show "act like one of those families on Jerry Springer" might now be the best advice.

I agree Ken, Jaimie whatever you do don't complain that the swimming pool isn't big enough in houses that you view and that you wouldn't move from the UK for that, especially if you live in a mid terrace house in the middle of a mildly average council estate and please don't put the emphasis on your children to make the decisions for you, ie "We'll let our 4 year old decide if we are moving"!!!! and also don't go along with this illusion that you'll work part time hours, maybe 3 days a week at tops and your wife won't work and you and your family will enjoy endless walks on the beach and daily BBQ's!! Really disappointed with the way Wanted Down Under portrays the families wanting to go - most have completely unrealistic expectations of the 'work life balance'. On the plus side, I look forward to watching you on the TV! Good luck!!

hi guys

thought i would jump in on this topic if you dont mind, me and my family actually did the wanted down under programme it was aired early 2009.

We are the family that went to Tasmania it was really worth doing but what i can say about the process is its very tiring you can be filming from 8.00am till 6.00pm but you do forget about the cameras and claire who was our director was a lovely girl so was the rest of the crew.

i would really suggest if at all possible to extend your stay we hired a campervan and travelled round tasmania so we got a proper feel of the place and its people i think this experience more than the time spent with the bbc helped us come to a decision.

And after coming home and having another baby we are just waitng on our medical results then hopefully visa, then its tasmania here we come.

hi guys

thought i would jump in on this topic if you dont mind, me and my family actually did the wanted down under programme it was aired early 2009.

We are the family that went to Tasmania it was really worth doing but what i can say about the process is its very tiring you can be filming from 8.00am till 6.00pm but you do forget about the cameras and claire who was our director was a lovely girl so was the rest of the crew.

i would really suggest if at all possible to extend your stay we hired a campervan and travelled round tasmania so we got a proper feel of the place and its people i think this experience more than the time spent with the bbc helped us come to a decision.

And after coming home and having another baby we are just waitng on our medical results then hopefully visa, then its tasmania here we come.

First UK day done. Shattered this morning. We are very realistic about the way they try and portray the families and if I am honest I am not really bothered. As much as they are using us to get viewing figures we are using them to get a weeks look around Perth for next to nothing and the possibility of validating our 176 assuming it comes through in time. We don't fly out until 21st August I am hopeful we will have it by then.

As I told them yesterday, whichever country we are in we still have the same responsibilities and commitments and will still have to work full time. Life is life, but sometimes a change is as good as a rest and if it doesn't work then we come back having tried. How it comes across once it has been edited is another matter.

Si

i think they were really gutted when we didnt cry at the friends and familly thing, just be yourself thats all you can be and make the most out of it that you can

My wife was crying yesterday and couldn't discuss it. Makes for good tv if nothing else.

i really liked this show when it began. its not so good now. maybe you guys might have some influence over making it more relevant, and not the same old whiney rubbish, with people who seem to have done no research of their own for something so big! im sure its mostly down to the BBC but its still hard to watch sometimes.

i remember talking about this at work with a friend, complaining its always nurses/mechanics/electricians or similar, never any aircraft engineers! minutes later on going into the crew room to turn it on, i find not only is it an aircraft mechanic its also a helicopter mech! was very disapointed in how he came across as knowing nothing about the industry, i know he was ex military, and worked on military aircraft still, but seemed to have no idea what a licence was and it made him sound like an idiot to us at work and a lot of banter ensued about not letting him near any of our aircraft! i find it difficult to believe he knew nothing about being licensed or that when asked about it, he said he'd look into getting one like its a couple of days on a course and an exam (took me 4 years and many £K's)! im willing to believe the editing had something to do with that impression, and it did disappoint me with regard to how helpful the programe is. whats the point to sensationalising a factual programe? the guys at the work place also gave him misleading info, so that wasn't helpful either!

I'll still be watching it though, i like to see the nice places!! and a Perth episode especially, might be good to see for us.

Getting on a free holiday and being on tv would have been a good laugh i suppose!! but i dont think a couple with no kids and no real strong family ties would be interesting enough for them, especially since our parents want us to go too!!

Hope you enjoy the experience, and have a good time in Perth. i recommend Fremantle, it was really nice!

Archived