What's The Most 'Absurd' Thing You Have Ever Seen In Australia?

Guest guest37336

Guest guest36762
We are used to the slogan but some people first arriving find the signs on the motorways a bit funny :

"DRINK, DRIVE, BLOODY IDIOT"

I like 'wrong way. Go back' signs on the entry roads to the freeway.

Hilarious:biglaugh:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest37336
I think that Aus is the only country in the world where Mc Donalds puts beetroot in the burgers Tony. I love it.

I hope so Olly,:biglaugh:.

It took me ages to pluck up the courage to ask for 'No Beet Root' at Mc Donald's and the other places I went to.

I wasn't sure if I was breaking some kind of constitutional rule that meant ALL take away sarnies/burgers had to have Beet Root in.

I remember thinking that when the citizenship ceremony came along I was dreading being asked, 'And Do You Antony .......... Swear To Uphold The Laws And Principles Of This Great Nation And Have Beet Root In Any Take A Way Food Stuff From Here On In'.:embarrassed:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest guest36762
Well some of the roadsigns are maybe a little absurd..

roadsigns.jpg

What is that? The gruffalo?

The most absurd thing the kids saw when we were there were their dad ............ me ordering them a burger and chips. Four times i ordered a burger and chips and four times they got it wrong, i speak good english, loud and forthright, a bit of a Yarkshire twang but ............. just how don't Australians not understand what burger and chpis meant?

First time, i got a burger in a bun, with egg and bacon? WTF ........ second i got a bun with no burger? WTF ............... third time i got the burger and no bun?. WTF .............. and finally i got a chicken burger? WTF ............... the kids thought it was hilarious, but i was flabbergasted that such a simple order could end up being so difficult to understand.

Went into McDonalds and asked for a plain cheeseburger as my son hates all the relish etc....I was given a bread roll with a cheese slice and no burger!!! They call the actual bread roll a burger...this has caused many an argument with the Aussie hubby over the years and drives me mad:arghh:

Guest emmblebee

Oh dear, where to start? Drive-through bottle shops, closely followed by 24hr drive-through florists. Surely only too much of the former means you need to be buying flowers at 4am!

Guest guest36762
Went into McDonalds and asked for a plain cheeseburger as my son hates all the relish etc....I was given a bread roll with a cheese slice and no burger!!! They call the actual bread roll a burger...this has caused many an argument with the Aussie hubby over the years and drives me mad:arghh:

Oh Connie!

What's a loverly posh bird like you doin in maccas?

It's just so bloody wrong what happened to you in aus:cry:

Beet root and Parsley with EVERYTHING, WTF is all that about. Sandwiches, a mass of Parsley as a 'side' dish, more than you could choke a donkey with, then look inside the bread and there ooooooooozzing it's deadly red demonic translucent goo is BEET ROOT,:arghh::mad::biglaugh:.

You cant Beet a Root[old oz saying]:Randy-git:

Alrite tone

Not really absurd tbh,more suprising really,getting asked were we irish or scots all the time:laugh:.

The other thing is when we validated we checked out a lot of towns down south australia,thats south of adelaide btw,so we ended up in cape jervis one day,i cant remember the geography of cape jervis now tbh,but its the ferry terminal to kangaroo island if i'm right,but anyway....we ended up down by the ferry terminal,really windswept, isolated place it seemed,just miles of ocean, the big ferry car park and a burger van,so i walked over to the picklestabber in the burger van and said "alrite mate,can i have two teas and two pies please",then looked out to the ocean,so i was in a kind of semi-daze,daydreaming because thats what the ocean does to me tbh,then i heard...."not with THAT .....ing accent yer cant lad",i was like:shocked::wideeyed:,it was the burger van fellah,scouser from anfield,been there 26 years(in oz,not the burger van:biggrin:),both just looked at each other and fell in pleats:laugh:,then had a chinwag and set the world to rights,he was still an opinionated scouser with too much to say for himself despite living there 26 years,see we dont lose it!:wink::biglaugh:

Oh yeah,"chicken salt"!:goofy::laugh: thought it was take the p#ss out of a pom day when he asked me did i want any!lmao,had a laff with him and his mrs about it in the chippy in christies beach,walked out to the car and his mrs came running after us with a few little pots of her home made dips,wouldnt take a cent btw,quality!:notworthy:

The reference to beetroot reminded me of an absurd moment...

45 years ago, working in the Kimberlies, December and about 110 F in the waterbag. Bloke broken down at the side of the road, I pulled up to help him; his car had a boiling radiator. Was chatting to him about taking ample water in the outback because, in those days, tourism was not really done and cars were few and far between. (actually camped 24 hours on the road a couple of years earlier without seeing another vehicle).

Anyhow, this bloke was a rather overweight pom with a very red face and a knotted hankie on his head. I noticed a wide brimmed hat in the back seat and suggested that would be better...His reply," nay lad it meks me look daft." BTW he was from Manchester...:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest DaneD

i remember being in a shopping mall in nambour, qld and watching people outside run for cover because there was a hailstorm.... in summer, i found that abit odd. the hail stones were huge too.

Guest guest30038

Nothing to do with Oz being absurd but more to do with me doing an absurd thing.

We went to caboolture market for the first time and I copped for one of those big umbrellas that go over a table. I had thought how absurd it was that Aussies had these little beach umbrellas and they had to keep moving to follow the shade from them.

I thought, "this'll do for me. No piddling about with those tiny little brollies".

Anyways, the first time we used it was when I took the wheelchair bound MIL to Noosa (God rest her soul). Set her up on the beach with this brolly stuck in the sand and strapped to her wheelchair with some bungy/ockey straps. I'd just dozed of and was awoken by a commotion. One of those afternoon breezes had suddenly sprung up and the MIL was at angle of 45d in the wheelchair, being dragged backwards at a rate of knots :biglaugh: I managed to catch her after a 100m dash..............I was not one of her favourite people :biglaugh:

Guest guest37336
Nothing to do with Oz being absurd but more to do with me doing an absurd thing.

We went to caboolture market for the first time and I copped for one of those big umbrellas that go over a table. I had thought how absurd it was that Aussies had these little beach umbrellas and they had to keep moving to follow the shade from them.

I thought, "this'll do for me. No piddling about with those tiny little brollies".

Anyways, the first time we used it was when I took the wheelchair bound MIL to Noosa (God rest her soul). Set her up on the beach with this brolly stuck in the sand and strapped to her wheelchair with some bungy/ockey straps. I'd just dozed of and was awoken by a commotion. One of those afternoon breezes had suddenly sprung up and the MIL was at angle of 45d in the wheelchair, being dragged backwards at a rate of knots :biglaugh: I managed to catch her after a 100m dash..............I was not one of her favourite people :biglaugh:

God love your ex MIL Kev, :wubclub: but if it had been my ex MIL I would have let the bugger get dragged out to sea.

I would have had a tear in my eye of course, (through hysterical laughter).

Guest DaneD

very funny. sounds like a story that could have been in an episode of one foot in the grave! are you sure that really happened....?

Guest guest30038
God love your ex MIL Kev, :wubclub: but if it had been my ex MIL I would have let the bugger get dragged out to sea.

:wink:

I only saved her Tone, 'cause she was running over sunbakers :biglaugh:

Guest guest30038
very funny. sounds like a story that could have been in an episode of one foot in the grave! are you sure that really happened....?

No. I made it all up :rolleyes: Good job you didn't ask me that when I was in a pub with a skinful:rolleyes:

Guest DaneD
No. I made it all up :rolleyes: Good job you didn't ask me that when I was in a pub with a skinful:rolleyes:

haha. never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

your story made me lol at work, and im not meant to be on the net..... and my colleagues dont know that i will be leaving for oz soon.

Guest guest30038
haha. never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

I was being sarcastic...............I don't do yarns and I do tell the truth.

Guest DaneD
I was being sarcastic...............I don't do yarns and I do tell the truth.

o, i dont doubt it. i was joking too.

lost in internet translation.

Guest guest30038
o, i dont doubt it. i was joking too.

lost in internet translation.

That's OK then <sigh of relief> I'm not as fit as I used to be and we might meet in a pub one day :wink::biggrin:

Guest gemfromoz

Its funny u guys mention barefoot everywhere, as a teenager I regularly went out without shoes, into the city with just togs (swimmers) and a sarong or went shopping etc and didn't think anything of it.

Now I've lived in the UK for a bit I still hate shoes (wear flip flops even in winter/snow!) but appreciate the need for shoes in public places...especially as my English OH hates feet! :eek:

Archived