how much are cars!!?

paigedean

In Qld, and I think perhaps in other states, the car cannot be driven without a "roadworthy" (MOT) and dealerships are required to have roadworthies on their vehicles. No doubt I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I've never seen a car for sale (other than private) that isn't issued with a roadworthy.

i can only speak for perth,

ta

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just let my 2002 vito go for less than a grand in the uk and I've been looking at lesser spec merc vans for $ 15000 ! And we're thinking of bringing our Saab over because it works out cheaper than buying an average car here . But if you buy a new car here and keep it for ten years then sell it , it would work out a lot cheaper over that period than a uk car .

Yeah mine is £10k here and $30k (£20k) over there!! Insane Prices.

30k is the cost of living equivalent of £13,600k when you take average wage difference into account if you are just comparing how much it costs locals to buy cars in either country. Obviously different if you are spending uk pounds on Aussie car when you first move.

The problem with European cars here is that they cost so much to service whereas the Toyotas , Nissans and Japanese cars are a lot cheaper and seem to fare better in our climate. A lot like the Holdens but I am not keen on them personally and I have had bad experiences with Fords.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Cars in Australia do seem dearer to me, but the 35% increase in average wages for skilled migrants must soften the blow.

Guest Guest31881

The original post was....

"what are the rough cost for cars in oz?

as we are going to need one as soon as we move over!! "

can we keep the thread on topic, arguments do not help the OP.

thanks folks

what are the rough cost for cars in oz?

as we are going to need one as soon as we move over!!

We bought a new Corolla for $20k and 32 year old Volvo for $500. Graysonline sells ex-fleet cars. There is also a set of second hand car dealers - can't remember their name - that someone mentioned - 'car city' I think? They have a web site that may help you get a rough idea of what you can get for your budget.

I think the worst thing you can do is compare like for like (UK and Oz). You really have to get your head around the Australian valuations. I'll be coming across in a few weeks, and I've been trawling the car sites to get an idea of what costs what, but only in relation to Australian cars.

Usually I'd run clear of debt, but I've been thinking. The pound is roughly down 30% to the dollar. So it might be cheaper in the long run to take a car on finance. Even if the APR is something crazy like 20% you'd still be saving.

Cars in Australia do seem dearer to me, but the 35% increase in average wages for skilled migrants must soften the blow.

my neighbors have their son and dil over at present, they cannot believe how cheap things are here in the uk inc cars, they have been in perth 4 years.

wages reflect cost of living both countries,

Guest chris955

I thought I had already posted this but obviously not, cars and many things are expensive in Australia. It is possible to buy cheaper ones but you have to be very careful with them as they are usually cheap for a reason.

Second hand cars are cheaper in the UK but new ones seemed to be much of a muchness when we converted the prices. Our hire car was the same price here in Aus new as it was in UK new. I looked up the sites and compared them.

You need to take into account there are a lot more automatic cars here which is a couple of grand on the price before you start. Manuals are not as popular, its all about automatic and cruise control due to our distances.

My sister has bought a new car in the UK and the same car is a similar price here new.

Our second hand cars hold their price as they wear better due to the climate.

We have an 04 Audi with 111,000 on the clock. 3.2 engine (the ozzies like big guzzlers) its value in the UK is around £4,000 to buy the exact same car on ebay was $20,000. To ship the car it should be around £5,000 so we are going to ship it.

Hope that helps

Yes if you want an audi best to bring it if its cheaper. However the spares will set you back a bit, so called "expensive car" mechanics charge more, and spares are more. See a merc put up the price. Same with tradies doing work in so called upmarket areas, they quote way over the top compared to ordinary areas. :wink:

Also if you happen to be in the country areas and it breaks down be prepared to book into a motel as small country towns only keep spares for Holden, Ford and Toyotas usually.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Originally Posted by The Ropey HOFF viewpost.gif

my neighbors have their son and dil over at present, they cannot believe how cheap things are here in the uk inc cars, they have been in perth 4 years.

wages reflect cost of living both countries,

Of course everything is cheap in the uk, if you are visiting from Australia, spending AUS dollars, because like i said .............. the average skilled wage is 35% more because of the exchange rate being so low, due to the uk struggling to come out of recession.

Guest John Farley
Originally Posted by The Ropey HOFF viewpost.gif

Of course everything is cheap in the uk, if you are visiting from Australia, spending AUS dollars, because like i said .............. the average skilled wage is 35% more because of the exchange rate being so low, due to the uk struggling to come out of recession.

I am an Australian living in the UK, when i go back home i can see how most things are expensive, it has nothing to do with exchange rates. Talking to my parents they can see a dramatic increase in the cost of living in Aus

Guest Scotinaus

Cars are definitely more pricey here if you compare like with like, but petrol and insurance is much cheaper...

We live in inner Melbourne and recently got right of our trusty 1990 Camry and now just use http://www.Flexicar.com.au. It's not as convenient of course but we only use it to do the weekly shop and a few chores and rent if we need to go away for the weekend... It still works out cheaper on an annual basis, and enough so to make it worthwhile.

Cars, yes very expensive. There is insurance, then green slip and registration. Leasing is the only way to go. Then once you have the car you have to suffer the worst driving in the world. Random Breath Tests at least once a month which is good but people still DRINK and DRIVE here. Speed limits anything between 110 kmh to 25 kmh never really sure what the limit is. But other than that All good.

interesting article in the paper her in qld this weekend oabout the cost of supercars , basically it said that the cost of a top ferrari or this new lambo was some $350k higher than the uk becasue the company had decided that the australians would pay this for the vehicles and thats why they were more xxxy they also said that they were close to loosing money on sales in the UK - remember that the cost here also includes some fairly hefty taxes and also like phones and everything else the sheer scales of sales volume lowers the unit price in high population areas like the UK . Cars sem to depreciate more in the UK great for the 2nd hand car buyer but lousy if you cant cliam depreciation as a writ eoff !

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/australia-penalised-over-top-car-costs-20110603-1fl3s.html

ps article on cheapest cars to run in oz might be of help

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/revealed-the-cheapest-cars-to-run-20110519-1etyu.html

Prices of second hand cars in Australia, just like everything else here Extortionate..really ridiculous prices, and it doesnt end there..You still have a rip off stamp duty to pay once you have purchased the car..I couldnt believe this blatant rip off, stamp duty on the car..and then on your car insurance you have to pay a stamp duty again plus GST...Never mind though..Your Government loves you..

Stamp duty on cars - are you serious?????? I've been looking at cars that say a drive away price with no more to pay. Does that mean I'm going to be hit for stamp duty at a later date???

Stamp duty on cars - are you serious?????? I've been looking at cars that say a drive away price with no more to pay. Does that mean I'm going to be hit for stamp duty at a later date???

yup! 10% of the purchase price if i thinking correctly, :mad:

live the oz way, pay the oz way, its just how it is :policeman:

Guest hrimmer3011

Just jumping on the car thread - we have 6 children, so we be looking for a 8 seater car/van - any idea what makes etc are over in Oz for us?? At the moment we drive a 9 seater Citreon Passenger Van, its great, roomy etc, so looking for somehting like that - any ideas????

In this situation when it says drive away price, it is already included. At least that is what we have been told.

10% is not correct. I the ACT ad NSW, the figure is 3% for a car up to $45K. Any amount over that it's 5%. So if the car costs $50K, then 3% of $45K and 5% of $5K.

If a dealer is advertising a drive-away price then it means they're paying the stamp duty and registration for you.

weclome to Australia.

This calculator will give you the breakdown of both stamp duty and also luxury car tax. LCT is a complete cash grab from the government, its 33% of the value over a thresho,d of around 57000k.

Now if you consider that Audi and BMW habitually overcharge Australians, even the most simple of Audis (like a semi decent A4) can attract a "luxury car" tax.

http://www.privatefleet.com.au/links-and-resources/crash-tests-car-safety/car-stamp-duty/stamp-duty-calculator/

When coming from Europe and buying in Australia, just avoid certain European brands like BMW, Audi, Range Rover etc. You will not be able to justify the cost.

Having said that, "base" Australian versions of cars are usually higher specced than their Euro counterparts. Not necessarily in features like leather seats, but usually in engine size and power. E.G the base model Honda Accord in the UK is 2.0. The Base model here (called teh Accord Euro) is the 2.4 'sporty' version, and it actually works out a bit cheaper than the UK.

Some brands shaft you, some brands don't. Pay a quick visit to www.carsales.com.au and its not hard to see which ones do which.

Second hand cars in Australia really hold their value more than the UK, and as a consequence if anyone is coming over and will have owned a decent modern BMW or Audi for more than 12 months, ship it over as a personal import and sell it. You will most likely turn a profit.

Archived