how much are cars!!?

paigedean

if you shop around you can get good bargains still over here, well bargains compared to what people think they'd pay for a used car in aus not bargains compared to used cars in the uk, i paid $6000 for my 2005 ford focus, been a great car, taken me on many roadtrips included melbourne to perth :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stamp duty on cars - are you serious?????? I've been looking at cars that say a drive away price with no more to pay. Does that mean I'm going to be hit for stamp duty at a later date???

No - the dealer will pay the stamp duty.

"Drive Away No More to Pay - this price includes dealer and government costs borne by the consumer, such as stamp duty, dealer delivery (if it is a new vehicle) and accessories that are either factory fitted or dealer fitted on this particular vehicle. Other Costs associated with car insurance etc are not included unless stated. Drive Away prices are indicative only – government charges vary according to the purchaser’s personal circumstances (for example, postcode, driving history and how the purchaser intends to use the vehicle). Consult a dealer to determine charges applicable to you. On occasion, the provision by a dealer of both an Excludes Government Charges and Drive Away No More to Pay price may result in the Drive Away No More to Pay of a car being displayed which is over and above the price range you have entered. The reason for this is to enable a consumer to conduct an "apples with apples" comparison with any other Exc Govt. Charges vehicles on the website which meet the search criteria they have entered (eg: private seller cars).

"

Cars are expensive here...try someone like us who are trying to sell their house...which is difficult at this time...but have 2 low mileage cars that will have to be sold...there's where you will get a good deal...good luck.....

Just jumping on the car thread - we have 6 children, so we be looking for a 8 seater car/van - any idea what makes etc are over in Oz for us?? At the moment we drive a 9 seater Citreon Passenger Van, its great, roomy etc, so looking for somehting like that - any ideas????

What ever you don't buy a Kia - Grand Carnival, had lot's of issues with it. Doors falling off, water leaks, engine management system going. Had to wait 2 weeks for replacement parts. Not good

Guest Guest 47403

I've just priced up 2 brand new cars and they both worked out cheaper to buy in Oz, perhaps it makes sense to buy new and keep it longer we do change ours cars far to often in the UK.

New cars are not bad price wise over here, its the scond hand price tag that shocks uk migrants as you get used to paying so little back there, again like you say maybe its because people change cars more often there than here.

Cal x

I've just priced up 2 brand new cars and they both worked out cheaper to buy in Oz, perhaps it makes sense to buy new and keep it longer we do change ours cars far to often in the UK.

just curious: which 2 were they?

Guest Guest 47403
just curious: which 2 were they?

A golf GTI which was suprising as I expected a european car to be more expensive, the other was a Nissan Navara pick up.

Guest Guest 47403
My gfi cost nearly 50k here, they are 25k in the uk

GTI...........................

Guest Guest 47403
Yep, both prices from VW dealerships

Base model GTI UK price £25,645.00 excluding Road tax and delivery charges (and Insurance)

Base Model Aus price $40,460 on the road price includes licence duty, Compulsary 3rd party insurance, Registration and dealer delivery charges.

I think you may have paid a bit more than you should have unless it's loaded with extras.

Guest Guest 47403

The UK price if off the VW website, the Oz price is through a dealer you could probably find better deals in the UK by shopping around both models have no added extras. Probably about even all in which suprised me.

Guest spongy42

We chose to go for a ford as they have a factory here in Geelong

We got 2007 ford falcon on finance with $1000 down payment for $16k after being here a week rego was included $650 insurance we found was on a par with uk

• 2 weeks later...

I think the volume of vehicles will make a difference too:

over 30 million cars are in the uk

compared to around 12 million in Oz

the market is that much smaller along with imports having to be transported from asia/ europe will also make prices higher.

Guest grahamfowler

I currently own a subaru impreza sti value of £4000 here (looking in oz there fetching around $17000 and my wife drives a bmw 320d £8000 value here $20000+ in oz.. ive currently got them up for sale before we move.. but would it be better for us to import them as there imaculate cars and itl cost £3400 to take them.. it seems it may save us money in having to replace them

Guest sunshineonme

A cheap run about usually ends up costing more later - we have friends who spent $10,000 on what they thought was reasonable and had to spend a further $5,000 on getting things fixed on their cars.

I went to a dealer to buy ours, at least that way you have warranty etc.

I found many 2nd hand cars had higher mileage/kms than what we would expect for the same year in the UK. Probably because people do not think twice to head off 40-80kms + for a little night out!

In Vic, Rego (similar to the annual car tax in the UK) is about $500 per annum, this also gives you 3rd party insurance. Add to this comprehensive insurance and this is a further $500 per year (approx).

If you are buying a car, consider one you intend to keep for a while. I see many cars up for sale for months on end. They are hard to move/sell on so it seems. For every time you buy a car you pay a stamp duty, why give the government free cash? If you do buy privately and buy from a good fellow/fellowess then they may give you a receipt confirming you paid a lot less so that you pay less in stamp duty. Further details (in Victoria) on stamp duty for cars will be on the VIC roads website.

I personally wanted a reliable non cheap car because we do cover much higher kms here and with the hot summers you do use the aircon a lot, more wear on the engine etc.

Good luck.

Archived