do you REALLY have a better life in oz???

kate2000

Hi, not sure if we are being naive or looking through rose tinted specs, so maybe someone can enlighten us!

We are a married couple with 2 young children in UK. I am a part time nurse on about £17k and my husband is a chemist on £28 k. We just about get to zero each month after all our outgoings and believe me, we are not living a flamboyant life!!! No take aways, weekends away etc!

Our thoughts about moving down under.....we want a more outdoor life..to be able to plan your weekend activities without wondering what the weather will be like. Our salaries in melbourne would equate to about 120k aus dollars. Which initially we thought too good to be true! But upon looking at cost of living etc would we really be much better off?? Ideally we Love the idea of a swimming pool, bbqs all the time etc but is this reality? Do people really have the life that is portrayed on tv?! Or is it a case of the grass is never greener?!

Look forward to all the responses!!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF

Our friends and relatives have this brilliant life in Australia, they have the fantastic houses, with swimming pools, or a jacuzzi, they all have great outdoor areas, big patio areas, with loungy chairs to sit out on at night and they all have these huge barbecues, its a OZ thing. You can't plan anything here in the uk, you can't book a week off in July or August say and be guaranteed nice weather, in fact it might be horrible the whole time, we all know this and the decent weather we do have, only lasts briefly before the long grey grim winter starts again. If you want this dream life, then you sure can get it, in ............... Australia.

Best of luck.

So much is down to your expectations and what your priorities are (just to state the obvious). One thing that's become very apparent when weighing up whether to take a job in Melbourne is that the finances are not the only thing. Personally, I'll be slightly worse off financially due to higher living costs than here in Birmingham, but it's worth it for an improved work-life balance and (hopefully) a more positive working environment (UK higher education isn't a fun place to work at the moment). For me, that makes it a no brainer, but then I don't have kids and live pretty simply in any case.

However, if you're thinking of Melbourne I get the impression that dealing with changeable weather is par for the course (one of the attractions for me). Going on other posts re. Melbourne, it also seems like houses with swimming pools are pretty rare (or owned by Brits, one person said) as the climate isn't warm enough for them year round.

Honestly, no. Not everyone in Aus has a macmansion with pool, a jacuzzi and 4 WD with a boat tied up on the personal jetty with harbour views. Sure, some people do but the vast majority of people live in common or garden suburbia, have to have a couple of jobs in the family to make ends meet and do all the same sort of things that people do the whole world over - buy the groceries, cook the dinner, do the washing up and take out the rubbish. Barbies, when shared with flies, mozzies and other lepidopteria sort of lose their appeal after a while and you dont get the long balmy nights that you do in UK - bed by 9 in some places because there is nothing to do after that. If you like beaches you will be fine for a while but life is not a beach and if you fancy a bit more variety and buzz to your life then you will get bored eventually.

I just dont get the weather thing - we had a great outdoor life in UK, lots of walking and camping and we did the same when we got here - dont know which is worse, being wet or being sun burned - neither of them are terribly nice and the sunburn is more painful (as is being bitten by bull ants!). The weather can be just as depressing here - be in a drought for 7 years and you can grow to hate the blue skies just as much as the grey ones (hence the very high suicide rates of farmers in droughts).

If you are after a bit of adventure then go for it, have a good time but it isnt necessarily better/magic/utopia, it's just another first world country to live your life in. You should be OK on your salary in Melbourne but unless you are coming minted then it will be a spot in suburbia not a penthouse with views and a jacuzzi in South Yarra.

Honestly, no. Not everyone in Aus has a macmansion with pool, a jacuzzi and 4 WD with a boat tied up on the personal jetty with harbour views.

Can quite understand that in Canberra, Quoll...:wink:

Personally, a fabulous life in this magnificent island continent.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Nope, not worse either, our standard of living is about the same here as it was in the U.K, however our quality of life was better in the U.K, but that tells you more about us than either country, day to day life here is not much different, go to work, do the shopping, pay the bills, if you fancy a move to Australia then give it a go, you may love it, but just remember it's not paradise its just different, you'd have a comfortable life in Melb on 120K not sure about the swimming pool or a mansion mind you :wink:

Guess it kinda depends on what you're leaving behind in the UK. I don't have a mcmansion, don't even have a barbecue to be honest, we live in a 2 bedroom flat in Sydney but I love it. Long summers which I don't think are too bad - it only once got up to 42 degrees this summer, the rest of the time it was ok. I'm young and really enjoy haing the option to go to the beach, go on long road trips or go on trips to the pacific for holidays. I miss a couple of things from home - my family and the ability to pop over to europe for a weekend, but if I'm honest I only went to Europe maybe twice in the year before I moved so no point getting too hung up on that! Spent last weekend in Tasmania ($114 return airfare) which was lovely. I get paid a lot more over here (even taking into account the strong $) and have more time off as well thanks to the flextime offered by my employers. I'll go back to europe one day, but until then...

Our thoughts about moving down under.....we want a more outdoor life..to be able to plan your weekend activities without wondering what the weather will be like.

Ideally we Love the idea of a swimming pool, bbqs all the time etc but is this reality? Do people really have the life that is portrayed on tv?! Or is it a case of the grass is never greener?!

Melbourne is not hot all year round, it actually gets cold and dark very early in the winter, and in the summer it can get so hot you will move from one a/c place to another. Four seasons in one day even!

Before I moved to Melbourne I had visited many many many times, but never in the heat of the summer or freezing cold of the winter, it was a huge shock to me. Dont wish to sound doom and gloom but for me it was a shock.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Melbourne is not hot all year round, it actually gets cold and dark very early in the winter, and in the summer it can get so hot you will move from one a/c place to another. Four seasons in one day even!

Before I moved to Melbourne I had visited many many many times, but never in the heat of the summer or freezing cold of the winter, it was a huge shock to me. Dont wish to sound doom and gloom but for me it was a shock.

Its no secret that, surely you knew that before you went, not having a dig, we have family in Geelong and they say compared to the uk the summer is hotter and guaranteed and winter isn't really winter compared to the uk, sounds better both ways to me, but i wouldn't go to Melbourne, because i want it even warmer.

Guest Hatton
Hi, not sure if we are being naive or looking through rose tinted specs, so maybe someone can enlighten us!

We are a married couple with 2 young children in UK. I am a part time nurse on about £17k and my husband is a chemist on £28 k. We just about get to zero each month after all our outgoings and believe me, we are not living a flamboyant life!!! No take aways, weekends away etc!

Our thoughts about moving down under.....we want a more outdoor life..to be able to plan your weekend activities without wondering what the weather will be like. Our salaries in melbourne would equate to about 120k aus dollars. Which initially we thought too good to be true! But upon looking at cost of living etc would we really be much better off?? Ideally we Love the idea of a swimming pool, bbqs all the time etc but is this reality? Do people really have the life that is portrayed on tv?! Or is it a case of the grass is never greener?!

Depends on you, my aussie hubby and I have a better life in the UK and he does not want to go back yet :embarrassed: horses for courses some peoples quality of life is better in the UK, some in OZ.

Guest Hatton
Our friends and relatives have this brilliant life in Australia, they have the fantastic houses, with swimming pools, or a jacuzzi, they all have great outdoor areas, big patio areas, with loungy chairs to sit out on at night and they all have these huge barbecues, its a OZ thing. You can't plan anything here in the uk, you can't book a week off in July or August say and be guaranteed nice weather, in fact it might be horrible the whole time, we all know this and the decent weather we do have, only lasts briefly before the long grey grim winter starts again. If you want this dream life, then you sure can get it, in ............... Australia.

Best of luck.

You need to get yourself over there Hoff, sounds brilliant. :biggrin:

Guest Hatton
Honestly, no. Not everyone in Aus has a macmansion with pool, a jacuzzi and 4 WD with a boat tied up on the personal jetty with harbour views. Sure, some people do but the vast majority of people live in common or garden suburbia, have to have a couple of jobs in the family to make ends meet and do all the same sort of things that people do the whole world over - buy the groceries, cook the dinner, do the washing up and take out the rubbish. Barbies, when shared with flies, mozzies and other lepidopteria sort of lose their appeal after a while and you dont get the long balmy nights that you do in UK - bed by 9 in some places because there is nothing to do after that. If you like beaches you will be fine for a while but life is not a beach and if you fancy a bit more variety and buzz to your life then you will get bored eventually.

I just dont get the weather thing - we had a great outdoor life in UK, lots of walking and camping and we did the same when we got here - dont know which is worse, being wet or being sun burned - neither of them are terribly nice and the sunburn is more painful (as is being bitten by bull ants!). The weather can be just as depressing here - be in a drought for 7 years and you can grow to hate the blue skies just as much as the grey ones (hence the very high suicide rates of farmers in droughts).

If you are after a bit of adventure then go for it, have a good time but it isnt necessarily better/magic/utopia, it's just another first world country to live your life in. You should be OK on your salary in Melbourne but unless you are coming minted then it will be a spot in suburbia not a penthouse with views and a jacuzzi in South Yarra.

Good post from someone who actually has lived there for a long time and not just a holiday.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Have a look at the last international servey, says it all to me.:wink:

125024-where-to-find-nirvana.jpg

Where to find nirvana ... The top 25 countries to live in for quality of life, according to International Living magazine.

124852-opera-house-and-harbour-bridge.jpg

"Great culture and excellent food" ... The Sydney Opera House from aboard True Blue Whale Watching cruises is a reason whey Australia is ranked the second best country in the world to live.

Guest Hatton
Have a look at the last international servey, says it all to me.:wink:

125024-where-to-find-nirvana.jpg

Where to find nirvana ... The top 25 countries to live in for quality of life, according to International Living magazine.

124852-opera-house-and-harbour-bridge.jpg

"Great culture and excellent food" ... The Sydney Opera House from aboard True Blue Whale Watching cruises is a reason whey Australia is ranked the second best country in the world to live.

looks good Hoff, when you going?

We're an average family, both work full time, and 2 kids in school. Materialistically, our life is a comfortable as it was in the UK, we don't have a McMansion, but we do have a pool and a BBQ. What the move has done for our family, is changed the way we spend our time together. In summer, we will BBQ every weekend, even if it's the 4 of us, we spend hours sat outside chatting and spending time together, which due to work and everything else, we just didn't have time for before

The weather isn't great all of the time and I agree with Tigers, knowing it 'get's cold' and actually experiencing it are different. At the moment in Peth we've had lots of winter rain, which means that we can't plan an outdoor activity without an eye of the weather forcast - but in summer you usually can.

My advice is be realistic in your expectations in what Aus has to offer, there are lots of posters on here who give a very balanced view of life and living here. Our lives are different here and we're extreamly content, I don't know if it's 'better' per se as we had a pretty decent and happy life in the UK too.

Guest Hatton
We're an average family, both work full time, and 2 kids in school. Materialistically, our life is a comfortable as it was in the UK, we don't have a McMansion, but we do have a pool and a BBQ. What the move has done for our family, is changed the way we spend our time together. In summer, we will BBQ every weekend, even if it's the 4 of us, we spend hours sat outside chatting and spending time together, which due to work and everything else, we just didn't have time for.

The weather isn't great all of the time and I agree with Tigers, knowing it 'get's cold' and actually experiencing it are different. At the moment in Peth we've had lots of winter rain, which means that we can't plan an outdoor activity without an eye of the weather forcast - but in summer you usually can.

My advicse is be realistic in your expectations in what Aus has to offer, there are lots of posters on here who give a very balanced view of life and living here. Our lives are different here and we're extreamly content, I don't know if it's 'better' per se as we had a pretty decent and happy life in the UK too.

Great helpful post Ali and realistic.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I had 6 weeks of getting up every morning in brassic frozen weather, below minus 10 everyday last year, you couldn't get the ice clear off the car window to drive, it was freezing the anti-freeze. Winter is cold usually wherever you live, but theres cold and brass monkey minus 10 cold, it dropped to minus 27 one night in Yorkshire and was minus 15 regular. You get through it, you have to, what else can you do ............maybe move to Cairns. lol

Guest Hatton
I had 6 weeks of getting up every morning in brassic frozen weather, below minus 10 everyday last year, you couldn't get the ice clear off the car window to drive, it was freezing the anti-freeze. Winter is cold usually wherever you live, but theres cold and brass monkey minus 10 cold, it dropped to minus 27 one night in Yorkshire and was minus 15 regular. You get through it, you have to, what else can you do ............maybe move to Cairns. lol

-27 really in the UK, that must be a record low, when was it Hoff.? :cool:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
minus 27!!??? honestly? wow thats cold!! i think the lowest i can remember was minus 16 in 2010, i could of cried i was that cold!!

I did cry and .............. my tears froze.:laugh:

Perth is the place to be if you want guaranteed hot weather during summer/autumn. You will get a good six months of practically pure sun. Winter isn't that bad really. They call it winter but in general temps are between 16-20 most days. I wear shorts ALL year round with no problems. Might have to slip a jacket on sometimes but i can live with that. Yes it does have rainy days in winter but its not long periods of rain. It comes and goes fairly swiftly. I would say myself and my wife have a way better quality of life here in Perth than the U.K simply because we are out and about way more. Even if it's just a trip to the local beachside cafe to sit in the winter sun and enjoy a brew and a slice of cake.

We have a 4x4 so day trips/weekends away are limitless. We have just finished a 6000km trek to Broome and back which was stunning. We would defiantly say that it is a way better life here.

Andy

Life here isn't better or worse, just different. We live in a nice house in a nice area, but then we did in the UK too. We have had to work hard to get here, and that has nothing to do with the country we live in. We don't spend any more or less time outdoors than we used to, and actually we do the same sorts of activities mostly. We have a pool which is lovely in the summer, and we do barbecue, even in the winter if it is nice, but then we would have in the UK. We go to work, pay tax and do housework just the same, but in a different place!

I think that there are two sorts of emmigrators. There are those who want something different/want a better life/a life experience or whatever and come out here and get the job done, so to speak. Then there are those who want something different/want a better life/a life experience who come out here and expect it all to happen with no hard work on their part. If you are of the latter type, you will be disappointed. However if, like us, you are the sort of people to make things happen wherever you are in the world, you will have a blast!

Guest Hatton
Life here isn't better or worse, just different. We live in a nice house in a nice area, but then we did in the UK too. We have had to work hard to get here, and that has nothing to do with the country we live in. We don't spend any more or less time outdoors than we used to, and actually we do the same sorts of activities mostly. We have a pool which is lovely in the summer, and we do barbecue, even in the winter if it is nice, but then we would have in the UK. We go to work, pay tax and do housework just the same, but in a different place!

I think that there are two sorts of emmigrators. There are those who want something different/want a better life/a life experience or whatever and come out here and get the job done, so to speak. Then there are those who want something different/want a better life/a life experience who come out here and expect it all to happen with no hard work on their part. If you are of the latter type, you will be disappointed. However if, like us, you are the sort of people to make things happen wherever you are in the world, you will have a blast!

Good post, we are all different as you say, I tried Oz and prefer the UK,I am married to an aussie and he prefers the UK....but the next couple will prefer Australia...we are all different ant that is what makes the world go around :cute:

Guest The Pom Queen

Personally for me Melbourne was very much like the UK, we recently moved up to Cairns and I couldn't be happier. Melbourne winters were freezing but I think that was because we had acclimatised, for example today up in Cairns is probably the coldest and wettest day we have had for months, I am sat here in the office with my jacket on, yet it's 23 degrees outside. I use to think 23 was scorching, now I'm more happy at 30 degrees lol x

Archived