do you REALLY have a better life in oz???

kate2000

Guest Guest 47403
Hi, I don't know that I am unhealthier cos I moved here. Thats not quite what I meant. I was just trying to look at aspects of my life and answer the post!!! Lol

Life chucks curveballs! You just never know when they will strike! I could have health problems here or in UK but have had much more since being here.

Thanks for the reply just wondered if it was as a result of moving to Oz , as so many people seem to improve there health when moving over due to the weather.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hatton
Thanks for the reply just wondered if it was as a result of moving to Oz , as so many people seem to improve there health when moving over due to the weather.

why does that improve your health, health comes from exercise and eating well and you can be fit or unfit in any Country in the world, I noticed people and even kids were more obese in Oz than in the UK.

why does that improve your health, health comes from exercise and eating well and you can be fit or unfit in any Country in the world, I noticed people and even kids were more obese in Oz than in the UK.

That must just be where you lived because I certainly don't notice that where I live. My daughter's school in the UK had a much higher proportion of overweight children than her school here. We went back last year and I was amazed compared to where I live here.

Guest Hatton
That must just be where you lived because I certainly don't notice that where I live. My daughter's school in the UK had a much higher proportion of overweight children than her school here. We went back last year and I was amazed compared to where I live here.

I can only tell you what I seen with my own eyes.

Siamsusie you sound like you've had a wonderful life! Id love to of lived in all those countries! :) I also love the sound of all that nature right on your backdoor, i dream of having a garden with kookabarras and parrots visiting and maybe seeing the odd koala or kangaroo nearby lol prob sounds stupid but thats what i'd love! I live in the countryside here but i dont see very much wildlife, only some rabbits and ive saw a fox and badger once. ive never ever saw a badger or a red squirrell in my whole life!

Guest Hatton
Siamsusie you sound like you've had a wonderful life! Id love to of lived in all those countries! :) I also love the sound of all that nature right on your backdoor, i dream of having a garden with kookabarras and parrots visiting and maybe seeing the odd koala or kangaroo nearby lol prob sounds stupid but thats what i'd love! I live in the countryside here but i dont see very much wildlife, only some rabbits and ive saw a fox and badger once. ive never ever saw a badger or a red squirrell in my whole life!

Come to Cornwall for a holiday you will see dolphins whales and so may different species of wildlife that you just not get inland, I am a member of this. :cute:

http://www.cornwallwildlifetrust.org.uk

Guest Hatton
Which is why I said it must just be where you lived, as my experiences are of where I lived.

But it wasn't, I also noticed how many people were overweight when I went to my husbands city of perth, it does not help having a fast food outlet on every corner which kids just cannot resist.

Guest Guest 47403

Lots of people move to warmer climates to improve there health not just Australia.........arthritis, seasonal affective disorder it even improves dandruff not sure if you suffer it.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I think most of us are concerned over jobs, things are grim at present here in the uk, on many different levels and if you have kids of a certain age like me, then jobs in areas such as the police, prisons, government, council, nursing, banking and lots of other areas are really grim at present, even the armed forces are shedding thousands of personnel and the job prospects for our kids in Australia are far better currently.

But it wasn't, I also noticed how many people were overweight when I went to my husbands city of perth, it does not help having a fast food outlet on every corner which kids just cannot resist.

It must just have been where you went because I don't notice it where I live in Perth. There are no more fast food restaurants close to me here than there were in Lancaster and Morecambe when I went back to the UK last year. Kids eat crap the world over, you will usually see more fat kids in lower socioeconomic areas. The levels of obesity in the UK have risen and when M&S starts selling school uniforms in sizes up to 18 then you know you have an issue. There is more availability of plus size clothing for adults and children in the UK than there is here in Australia.

Guest siamsusie

Believe me Stacey, you will love Perth, its a gorgeous state.. I lived in WA for 5 years and had a ball.

There are some magnificent places to see the wild life in WA, you will not be disappointed.

The sea life is magnificent also Stacey.. ask Bobj, he has a deep passion for the state.

Susie xx

Thanks so much, i've been having a look at perth and it really does look lovely. all those islands that you can go visit.. gorgeous!! Our main worry is that we wont be able to afford to live there but no point worrying about that untill we find out if we can even get a sponsor first. If we dont move then im definitely coming over next year for a holiday!! ive got australian fever lol

Guest siamsusie
Thanks so much, i've been having a look at perth and it really does look lovely. all those islands that you can go visit.. gorgeous!! Our main worry is that we wont be able to afford to live there but no point worrying about that untill we find out if we can even get a sponsor first. If we dont move then im definitely coming over next year for a holiday!! ive got australian fever lol

1. Work

2. Accomodation

3. There is just you and Dave, therefore only yourselves to look after.

Plastic plates and cutlery, bean bags and a runabout.. many of our members have started off small and are a credit to immigrants.

I think these could be the happiest days of your life!

If you want something badly enough you will find a way Stacey.

:notworthy: Susie x

Wildlife is a huge draw for me too, I am a qualified veterinary nurse by trade & clearly love animals but wildlife has always held the most appeal to me although unfortunately i've never been in a position to work with our non domesticated friends but it is something I'd like to look into for WA (altho this past 2 months alone i've rescued 2 baby crows, a juvenille bat & a large hedgehog).

As much as I like watching our crows & robins..the wild bird life of Oz would be out of this world.. and a few houses i've seen on the real estate website were next to golf courses etc which has wild roo's literally on the other side of the garden fence ! The thought of getting to see a wombat i find mind blowing as I've always had a love of them (ok probs in a national park or something as i'd not expect to necessarily see a wild one) & I'd have to refrain from NOT enticing possums to the house LOL

I also need to look into common pet snakes over there as my 11 year old son wouldnt be allowed to bring his corn snake into the country so he's miffed about that.

Yep its definitely a hell of a lot easier than going with children! I'm sure we'd be very happy, we've never had a lot of things so its not like we're moving from a mansion lol. Hope you dont think im being nosey but didi see you before saying you did FIFO? Just wondering what kind of jobs women can do there ( i really really hope that didnt sound sexist lol it definitely wasnt meant to be, i know theres quite a few women driving dumptrucks Theres a few at daves work and he says they boss really likes them because they look after the machines, i think men are a bit rough with them lol

Wildlife is a huge draw for me too, I am a qualified veterinary nurse by trade & clearly love animals but wildlife has always held the most appeal to me although unfortunately i've never been in a position to work with our non domesticated friends but it is something I'd like to look into for WA (altho this past 2 months alone i've rescued 2 baby crows, a juvenille bat & a large hedgehog).

As much as I like watching our crows & robins..the wild bird life of Oz would be out of this world.. and a few houses i've seen on the real estate website were next to golf courses etc which has wild roo's literally on the other side of the garden fence ! The thought of getting to see a wombat i find mind blowing as I've always had a love of them (ok probs in a national park or something as i'd not expect to necessarily see a wild one) & I'd have to refrain from NOT enticing possums to the house LOL

I also need to look into common pet snakes over there as my 11 year old son wouldnt be allowed to bring his corn snake into the country so he's miffed about that.

totally agree with you lynn, like the birds here but seeing native oz birds would be magical. when i went to florida last year and we were in busch gardens they had a big aviary with some oz birds in it, i loved seeing the kookaburra and parrots! i got a picture taken with one on my shoulder, you went around with a tub of food and some of the tamer ones came down for a good munch lol. When i was there they had a pidgeon and a big blackbird in the aviary lol was so strange to see!! :biglaugh:

are you planning on staying a vet nurse in oz? Maybe you could try a zoo if you fancy something different

Not sure Stacey, I've been in the postion where I havent had to work but part of me misses it, not sure I really want to go back to working in a surgery doing mundane neuterings & dentals as the bread & water work... tbh working even voluntarily appeals more to me. I am also passionate about my greyhounds( retired, not into the racing part at all) & have already sussed out a greyhound rescue in rockingham LOL, so i'm sure they'll have dogs requiring a walk if nothing else. Working in a park or zoo... yes prob a dream come true but I'd doubt even being a british qualified veterinary nurse would count for anything.. I'm presuming you'd need some sort of zoology degree or the likes (but no idea really) Like I've said i've not worked for 9 or 10 years in the profession so its taken its toll on my confidence although I still know people in the business & I'm even wondering about doing a couple of months FREE nursing with them to get back into it & they could then provide me with an up to date reference.

I also wouldnt entertain the idea of working full time, its would have to be part time only.

Not sure Stacey, I've been in the postion where I havent had to work but part of me misses it, not sure I really want to go back to working in a surgery doing mundane neuterings & dentals as the bread & water work... tbh working even voluntarily appeals more to me. I am also passionate about my greyhounds( retired, not into the racing part at all) & have already sussed out a greyhound rescue in rockingham LOL, so i'm sure they'll have dogs requiring a walk if nothing else. Working in a park or zoo... yes prob a dream come true but I'd doubt even being a british qualified veterinary nurse would count for anything.. I'm presuming you'd need some sort of zoology degree or the likes (but no idea really) Like I've said i've not worked for 9 or 10 years in the profession so its taken its toll on my confidence although I still know people in the business & I'm even wondering about doing a couple of months FREE nursing with them to get back into it & they could then provide me with an up to date reference.

I also wouldnt entertain the idea of working full time, its would have to be part time only.

yeah you could definitely volunteer, it can def open doors sometimes!! lol im sure all those greyhounds will enjoy all the fuss. i think a qualified vet nurse would def count for something, i watched "poms in paradise" and there was a man that went over there and volunteered with the zoo in queensland, he was quite hands on with the animals i think. over here if you volunteered in a zoo youd prob only get to clean up poo lol.

One thing that ive heard about vet nurses in oz is that they get treated more like receptionist/animal nurses. i dont think they have as much responsibility as uk vet nurses, i got told that by a member over here thats a RVN too.

lol yeah i did my svq 2 at barony and did my placement at a kennels and i picked up poo everyday lol i really enjoyed working there. i worked at a vets for a few months last year, it started off really good n i was enjoying it but then once i was there longer i started to realise what the practice was really like, full of bitches and they had no patience to train me even tho it was a training practice. Put me off working in a vets but i think i'll give it another go in oz, even if its just volunteering to gain my confidence back.

when did you say your moving over?

just starting really, only just finally made the decision "yeah lets go for this" My hubby is office based in the oil industry (aberdeen) so surely hopefully he could find a job similar in perth area & we'll be going down the route of employee sponsership / visas etc. He's pretty busy the next 2 months with his shutdown (he coordinates the shutdown of oilrigs for their maintenence which takes about 10 months per year to plan per rig & up to around 3 weeks total shutdown costing usually millions per day when there is zero production so it HAS to go according to exact plan LOL) After this busy period he'll be able to turn his attention more fully to jobs out there & see what happens. He has been in touch with a couple of contacts to try & find the equivelent type of companies out there to what he works for here (here he is also classed as a Limited company.. so basically self employed but goes on long term contracts so earns brill money but no sick pay/ holiday pay etc etc)

Until he makes suitable contacts with similar or equivelent jobs out there we wont really have much of an idea what the salaries are like either.. here i guess his take home pay is something like 100K per year (not sure exactly lol) so until we find out what his postion is worth in dollars & what we could afford etc etc we're slightly in limbo.. we've both said we wont/couldnt move for a drastically come down in lifestyle/money/housing than what we have here although willing to compramise slightly.

Archived