do you REALLY have a better life in oz???

kate2000

Sounds like yous have a very good chance of him finding a good job out in oz, think it'll be very good money too if its 100k over here! seems to be that jobs in oz are usually a lot more than the uk wage.

It's all very exciting!! we've been thinking of oz for nearly a year but its not untill recently that we've thought " lets do it, what have we got to lose! "

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmm thats what I'm not so sure about., oil workers in aberdeen generally are quite well paid so I'm wondering if there might not be so much of a noticable difference in oz salary for the same thing... time will tell i suppose, have glanced at online jobs but they generally dont give the salarys only job description. Another thing he is wondering/thinking that in the role of shutdown coordinator could be transferred on mine work but I've said surely it would be safer to stick to what you know. He would also consider fly in fly out I guess although he's normally at home most nights now so for me that would be less desirable but would consider it for a wee while, i know I can cope with him away as he used to be offshore & worked his way up.. longest we went was not seeing him for 14 weeks when my son was 7 months old (money & needs must at the time meant we has no choice) but long term its not something I'd want, kinda defeats the purpose to emigrate & see him less than we do now. Funnily enough theres not much about oil industry jobs on this forum that I can find, i thought there would be a lot more.

Guest siamsusie
Yep its definitely a hell of a lot easier than going with children! I'm sure we'd be very happy, we've never had a lot of things so its not like we're moving from a mansion lol. Hope you dont think im being nosey but didi see you before saying you did FIFO? Just wondering what kind of jobs women can do there ( i really really hope that didnt sound sexist lol it definitely wasnt meant to be, i know theres quite a few women driving dumptrucks Theres a few at daves work and he says they boss really likes them because they look after the machines, i think men are a bit rough with them lol

I actually FIFO into Asia, and my husband into Karratha WA or Malaysia.. but I have a handful of female friends who work in the bush... two electricians/sig techs , 1 dumper truck driver and a native title worker (Aboriginal).

The two sig techs are very brave because you tend to work solo on nights:frown: and thats not something I would fancy, but there are cleaning jobs commanding huge salaries.. I would imagine its who you know also.

Dont forget my husband has been with the same company for 25 yrs!

Mrs Keily (member)'s husband does FIFO and I am sure she is better placed to give you some good information also.

Susie x

Guest Hatton
It must just have been where you went because I don't notice it where I live in Perth. There are no more fast food restaurants close to me here than there were in Lancaster and Morecambe when I went back to the UK last year. Kids eat crap the world over, you will usually see more fat kids in lower socioeconomic areas. The levels of obesity in the UK have risen and when M&S starts selling school uniforms in sizes up to 18 then you know you have an issue. There is more availability of plus size clothing for adults and children in the UK than there is here in Australia.

thought I was not imaging it.

Australia now world's fattest nation

Australia has become the fattest nation in the world, with more than 9 million adults now rated as obese or overweight, according to an alarming new report.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/wellbeing/australia-now-worlds-fattest-nation-20090407-9xrv.html

I actually FIFO into Asia, and my husband into Karratha WA or Malaysia.. but I have a handful of female friends who work in the bush... two electricians/sig techs , 1 dumper truck driver and a native title worker (Aboriginal).

The two sig techs are very brave because you tend to work solo on nights:frown: and thats not something I would fancy, but there are cleaning jobs commanding huge salaries.. I would imagine its who you know also.

Dont forget my husband has been with the same company for 25 yrs!

Mrs Keily (member)'s husband does FIFO and I am sure she is better placed to give you some good information also.

Susie x

Aaah i see! Daves been saying i should get a dumptruck licence, i think hes kidding tho. I cant even drive a car yet and when he took me out in his car he nearly had a heartattack because of me lol. I'd heard of cleaners and cooks out there but couldnt find any jobs online. Not that anyone would want me to cook for them!!!

Australia has become the fattest nation in the world, with more than 9 million adults now rated as obese or overweight, according to an alarming new report.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/wellbeing/australia-now-worlds-fattest-nation-20090407-9xrv.html

A 3 year old report, please. Also, only 14,000 were weighed across the country in various locations. Didn't someone once say "there are Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics"

Guest The Ropey HOFF
A 3 year old report, please. Also, only 14,000 were weighed across the country in various locations. Didn't someone once say "there are Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics"

You have to give some credit for the time spent googling it trying to prove you wrong though.:laugh::yes:

You have to give some credit for the time spent googling it trying to prove you wrong though.:laugh::yes:

She may well have witnessed more fat people where she lived in Australia in comparison to where she lives now. I have had the opposite experience. Neither of us are wrong, just our own individual experiences.

Only 3 years ago and the problem has probably got worse.

when the truth stares you in the face as it did me when I was in Oz you believe them, there are far more fast outlets over Oz as there is over the whole of the UK you cannot deny that..it is what I witnessed with my own eyes Northenrbird people are fatter generally in oz than they are in the UK.

and I disagree with you. In my area there are no more fast food outlets that where I come from in the UK. In the area I come from in the UK I saw more fat people than I see in my area here in Perth. You cannot compare entire countries.

Just as a matter of interest, where abouts in Australia did you live and where in Perth is your partner from?

As NB says, not true. Media beat up..report says nothing like that..just shows you everything is not always as it appears :wink:

In some respects my life in Oz is better than the UK but the reverse could be said too. I think the Australian weather lends itself to outdoor pursuits but it depends what your into. My husbands neice and nephew live in the Bristol area and they are both extremely sporty...into gymnastics, football and athletics.

I've been equally healthy and lazy in both countries. When I was a kid in Scotland I loved being outside and I didn't really notice the cold as that's what I was used to. I would go horse riding every week, sunshine, hail, rain or snow (apart from when the car physically couldn't make it up the hill) :wink:. Nowadays, I don't like it to be too hot or too cold for exercise. I'd rather go running in the cold but my husband loves it when it's hot...freak!)

Aren't there overweight people everywhere?? I think it's about lifestyle and not to do with the country.

DOH.. I've been getting gradually more unfit/unhealthy & fatter over the past few years & having been thinking the heat & sun will keep me on a healthier lifestyle track. Surely when its good weather folk feel like going outdoors doing more & less inclined to sit & watch 5 hours telly per day, eat packets of biccy then big stodgy meals at tea time.

Personally I think that lesser easy access to cadburys choc & the higher expense of it will do my waist line the power of good :)

Also wouldnt it be AWFUL to live in that heat being quite overweight ?

Believe me Stacey, you will love Perth, its a gorgeous state.. I lived in WA for 5 years and had a ball.

There are some magnificent places to see the wild life in WA, you will not be disappointed.

The sea life is magnificent also Stacey.. ask Bobj, he has a deep passion for the state.

Susie xx

Yus! Especially the Kimberlies and Pilbara.icon14.gif

But Queensland just shades WA...:yes:

Wildlife...

Feeding the 'green and brown chooks'

Picture720.jpg

Mum and joey in the back yard.

3112011003.jpg

Just 7 feet away, feeding off the seaweed.

Cheeky089.jpg

Sunbird nesting 5 ft from the front door.

SammyCleaningNest.jpg

My fishing partner, a brahminy kite.

THEROCKS274.jpg

Blue tiger butterflies.

1282010001.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

DOH.. I've been getting gradually more unfit/unhealthy & fatter over the past few years & having been thinking the heat & sun will keep me on a healthier lifestyle track. Surely when its good weather folk feel like going outdoors doing more & less inclined to sit & watch 5 hours telly per day, eat packets of biccy then big stodgy meals at tea time.

Personally I think that lesser easy access to cadburys choc & the higher expense of it will do my waist line the power of good :)

Also wouldnt it be AWFUL to live in that heat being quite overweight ?

I know!!! I have to say that aussie cadbury's choccy is vile (I'm sure aussies would say the same about the UK version). I've never gotten used to the taste. This HAS been a great thing for my waistline...I don't eat nearly as much choccy as I used to. :no:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Yus! Especially the Kimberlies and Pilbara.icon14.gif

But Queensland just shades WA...:yes:

Wildlife...

Feeding the 'green and brown chooks'

Picture720.jpg

Mum and joey in the back yard.

3112011003.jpg

Just 7 feet away, feeding off the seaweed.

Cheeky089.jpg

Sunbird nesting 5 ft from the front door.

SammyCleaningNest.jpg

My fishing partner, a brahminy kite.

THEROCKS274.jpg

Blue tiger butterflies.

1282010001.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Great pictures Bob.:wink::yes:

I think you get fat children in both countries but when we moved to Perth in 2005 I was so shocked about how many fast food places there were everywhere in Oz. There seemed to be so many more mcdonalds. chicken treats and kfc compared to the uk. My 4 sons are sporty but my oldest son got a bit heavier there compared to here in Edinburgh because they play outside all the time here despite the weather.

WOW!!!!!!!! If queensland didnt have the humidity i would be jumping on a plane right now with my WHV!! Stuff dave he can stay here!! lol. were those roo's in your garden?? I love the birds, so colourful. The only thing i get in my gardens are fat pidgeons and even fatter cats trying to eat them and crap in my garden!!

WOW!!!!!!!! If queensland didnt have the humidity i would be jumping on a plane right now with my WHV!! Stuff dave he can stay here!! lol. were those roo's in your garden?? I love the birds, so colourful. The only thing i get in my gardens are fat pidgeons and even fatter cats trying to eat them and crap in my garden!!

Pretty face wallabies

Edinburgh humidity vs Brisbane humidity...

http://www.holiday-weather.com/edinburgh/averages/#avg_temp

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_040214.shtml

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived