WA versus Queensland areas

lynn22

Hi, just thought I would put my little tuppence in if that is ok?

We are currently waiting for our 457 coming back and my Partner also works in Oil and Gas. I used to work offshore aswell. We are just down the coast from you in Montrose.

I would recommend having a look at some of the bigger companies own websites for job vacancies, Youd be surprised how many companies dont advertise their jobs publicly if you know what I mean. Like Halliburton for example, they seem to advertise all their jobs on their own site.

Hopefully you know what I mean, that is as clear as mud! lol

Guest siamsusie
Hi Lynn,

I'm in the same boat.

Got sponsorship for WA, but struggling to find work. Now have an interview for a role in Brisbane.

Also on the horizon is a possible role in Karratha, WA.

Really wanted Perth, but think I'd prefer Brissie to Karratha (I'm a London boy, used to the city life).

And to be honest, the small bit of research I've done for Brissie it does sound very nice.

I would go for Brisbane as opposed to Karratha definately for so many reasons.

Karratha is a working town only and highly transient. I love the Pilbara but I am not sure after city life you would enjoy living there Neil x

Yeah, you know what they say that it is not what you know but who you know! It is def right when it comes to Oil and Gas industry. We got our sponsorship from a previous co-worker of my partners that moved over last year so we have been lucky. Just be persistent and I am sure something will come up!

Guest NeilEB
I would go for Brisbane as opposed to Karratha definately for so many reasons.

Karratha is a working town only and highly transient. I love the Pilbara but I am not sure after city life you would enjoy living there Neil x

Thanks Susie - the missus definitely wouldn't like living in Karratha, but I have to go where the work is - and I'm not exactly fighting off job offers with a stick :-(

A new plan (if Brissie doesn't work out, and the wife isn't convinced), is that she stays in Perth while I go to Karratha for a couple of years to build up experience (and bank balance!).

We'll see.....

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Susie - the missus definitely wouldn't like living in Karratha, but I have to go where the work is - and I'm not exactly fighting off job offers with a stick :-(

A new plan (if Brissie doesn't work out, and the wife isn't convinced), is that she stays in Perth while I go to Karratha for a couple of years to build up experience (and bank balance!).

We'll see.....

Not a bad idea Neil, it was the first place I lived in in Australia and I had a ball... but I do realise its not for everyone x

Guest NeilEB

Just not sure I like the idea of her living on her own (with our boy), in a new country, and me only seeing them at weekends.

Is it easy to fly from K to Perth?

Anyway, lots of things to think about, and my poor brain hurts.....

Guest siamsusie
Just not sure I like the idea of her living on her own (with our boy), in a new country, and me only seeing them at weekends.

Is it easy to fly from K to Perth?

Anyway, lots of things to think about, and my poor brain hurts.....

Yes loads of planes per day Neil.. no worries.

The company will stand you your fares.. expensive otherwise:embarrassed:.

The only time there are problems is in cyclone season then everything stops play x

Guest NeilEB
Yes loads of planes per day Neil.. no worries.

The company will stand you your fares.. expensive otherwise:embarrassed:.

The only time there are problems is in cyclone season then everything stops play x

Don't think they'll pay for flights, but they are providing free housing (apparently) in Karratha, so that helps a bit.

Anyway I've now completely hijacked Lynn's thread - sorry!

Hi Srp - hope I'm not hijacking too much.

Do you know much about Fig Tree Pocket? It's SE of the centre of Brisbane looking at the maps. Is it commutable to the CBD?

Nice area in a good part of town. Commutable by bus or drive to train (Indooroopilly) or city cat ferry (St Lucia) and probably close enough to cycle down bicentennial bikeway. Living in Indooroopilly is probably easier for transport. Somewhere around here maybe: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Indooroopilly+Queensland,+Australia&hl=en&ll=-27.502562,152.983589&spn=0.046173,0.090466&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=23.875,57.630033&client=safari&oe=UTF-8&geocode=FZlqXP4dCi0eCQ&z=15&vpsrc=0&layer=c&cbll=-27.502694,152.985194&panoid=BlH6JtLYpXfRTbDJqIq4Sg&cbp=12,298.16,,0,3.22

Don't think they'll pay for flights, but they are providing free housing (apparently) in Karratha, so that helps a bit.

Anyway I've now completely hijacked Lynn's thread - sorry!

No no not at all, its all relevant !

For what its worth Neil, my hubby used to work away offshore/abroad a lot but gradually worked his way to an office position & home every night except for odd couple of days offshore for meetings etc (ok not sure what it is he does but it sure as hell isnt manual labour :laugh:)

Anyway there may be a good chance that even for office work he may have to do FIFO on a rotational basis, whilst this isnt something we initially expected as we'd thought we'd past that stage it is something we are both more than willing to entertain depending on the rota of course (ie 4/2 poss, 28/28 poss but I wouldnt entertain any of that 8/6 malarky.. been there done that ! )

I think its just looking at the bigger picture & saying it might only be for a couple of years till you get established & more settled financially, then you'll know of more companies, have built up Aussie contacts etc

I'm sure there must be quite a few wives in the same boat & would meet up with your missus. Most wives who put up with their hubbys working away understand how it is so can relate to the situation.

Sods law that the industry is starting to go crazy in the UK with rates rising nicely but in OZ it seems to have slowed a little or at least looks like thats the case. the pay rates seem much lower in Oz though. A lot less contract opportunities also...

Does anyone else find this?

Archived